Killer Chiller Question

fuzzydice

White Hot Lightning
Established Member
whats best, running it off ur A/C??

or running off of the electricity the one with a required alternator upgrade??

pro's con's????

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
The AC unit is the one to get. Much more BTUs available to keep temps down with spirited driving. the thermocouple type is OK for cooling a tank for a drag run maybe. It won't keep up with the demands of overdriven blowers.

Jim

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
I run the A/C one. Love it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Ql84-iz6I&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Killer Chiller Temp test[/ame]

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
As soon as it warms up here in North Texas, I will have some results with mine. But the install is a breeze and won't take that long.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
wow I knew it would cool it some but thats an awesome decrease in temps ya got there shaggy.

And mines not done yet.

Still have to play with the charge pressure.

Insulate all lines.

block off H/E

Once thats done, should be another 10-20* drop in temps.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
will blocking off the H/E result in problems daily driving?

Not as long as you have the A/C on. Since installing my KC I always drive with the A/C, even in 20-30* ambient temps I use the KC just because it produces lower charge temps. Do I need to run it... no. But I enjoy its function. This reminds me, I need to make a plexi-glass shield to mount behind my lower grille.

To the OP... I believe the KC requiring the alternator upgrade is vehicle specific and not intended for a Lightning.

Last edited:

fishingfox

Established Member
I eliminated my HE entirely and built an insulated tank that mounts in the stock HE bracket. The stock HE holds less than 1/2 gallon of fluid. The tank holds slightly more than 1.5 gals.

rtmtank.bmp

In testing in 103* ambient, I have run 10 miles of freeway driving and 10 miles in stop and go traffic with the A/C compressor off. Even parking and letting it heat soak, the highest fluid temps I saw were 134* and Charge temp went to 142* briefly after being parked for about 30 minutes. They dropped @8* within 1/2 mile. Obviously this was just driving not WOT blasts.

At the track back in October, I hot lapped three times. After the first pass, I forgot to kick on the chiller and the fluid temps got up to almost 90*. After the second pass the temp was 96*. I ran the chiller before the 3rd pass and the temp dropped below 50*. Ambient was 65*. The performance of the reservoir is most impressive in higher heat situations.

The Killer Chiller rocks. Great product. Great cutomer support. Thanks Joe.

Last edited:

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
wow i can safely say i never heard of anything like this. so does your a/c still work in the cab? im kind of confused on this whole set up

jster171

CRACKER
Established Member
:read:
wow i can safely say i never heard of anything like this. so does your a/c still work in the cab? im kind of confused on this whole set up

I'm a little confused as well? For example, I drove my truck to work this morning (Daily Driver), it was 32 degrees outside and I had my heat/defrost on the whole time. How does this affect the KC? I guess I need to find an in depth write up on this unit, because I live in South Georgia and it gets VERY hot and humid here during the summer months and I need some cooling help. Was thinking about the electric fan kit and maybe an Afco heat exchanger to help battle this South GA heat :read:

fishingfox

Established Member
confusedGMguy
The A/C still works. You can optimize for cab cooling or KC cooling by tweaking the amount of refrigerant in the system. Since I am in AZ, the system is setup for optimum cab cooling and the fluid temps don't get as low as they could.

Replacing the HE with a reservoir has yielded lower fluid and charge temps. Insulating the lines also helps.

LSUstang05
That diagram is correct, but they now recommend that the fluid temp gauge be tapped into the I/C reservoir. That is where mine is located.

jster171
I think you would be just fine in those temps. The heater/defrost would still work and the heat generated by supercharger the would keep the temps from going too low. With the temps you are seeing you obviously run some anti-freeze in you system. If you want to verify this call Joe at Kincaid Performance (505) 275-2665 or go to Kincaid Performance

Last edited:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Do an advanced search for keyword "Killer Chiller" and you'll find many threads/post discussing the KC. A search on NLOC and Lightning Rodder will produce many more threads/post with more technical information since Kincaid Performance is a SV on those forums.

The KC is a great product and Joe provides outstanding customer service.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
If I ever need the A/C off, but of course I want my KC on. I just turn the dial to A/C, and turn the temp dial to HOT. Then your getting freezing temps in your KC, but your A/C is not on in the cab freezing your butt off.

Granted I'm in florida, so I very rarely even have this issue. It's usually A/C on all year long..

Users who are viewing this thread