Killed me a Mach I earlier

04A4GTO

Established Member
I was in town heading away from the local mall when I hear the loud rumble of a mustang. (I couldn't see the car at the time when I heard it, but you can tell when it's a mustang) I look over and see a nice black mustang Mach I. I have no idea what the guy has done to the car, but it sounded like he had headers and a catback. (sounded awesome) Anyway we take off at the light, I might have got the jump, but regardless I pulled him pretty easy all the way up to 80MPH. I let off the gas thinking he might catch up and want to run again, but I guess he had other places to go and turned right. I think I had him by 5-6 cars at least, I even tried to wave at him as I was pulling away. (dork move I know) Anyway at the next light some guy in a white van pulled up next to me and said, "you tore that mustang up didn't ya" then he went on to say how my car sounded good and what not. That was my first time playing with a Mach I, they seem to be about as quick as the new mustang gts. I think I would have pulled him by more if I had better tires on the back of my car. I spun pretty bad at the top of first and on into 2nd gear. I think I need the driver mod too

Nothing like good clean fun
(I was really looking forward to racing a Mach I, my wife owned a 2003 red one when they first came back out. It was a quick car for sure, and much easier to get off the line compared to my goat, so it was nice to finally run one in my GTO)

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Nice Kill. It should be hard to beat a Cammed 6.0 in any N/A Mach or pre 03 Cobra but I think the Mach needs a driver mod. The Cobra's and Mach's are quicker than the new GT's but it should have been a little better race than that. Nice Goat

Qwk GT

Established Member
Good kill. I still think the 4v machs and n/a cobra's should be faster than a new gt. Nice mods to the gto.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Nice Kill. It should be hard to beat a Cammed 6.0 in any N/A Mach or pre 03 Cobra but I think the Mach needs a driver mod. The Cobra's and Mach's are quicker than the new GT's but it should have been a little better race than that. Nice Goat

The 04 GTO's actually had the LS1 in them. 5.7 not 6.0

I think I raced an 04 GTO this morning. It had the 05-06 hood and rear bumper w/ dual exhaust but on the trunk lid was a 5.7 badge:??:

So it was either an 04 with 05-06 body components, or an 05-06 trying to fool people with the badge. Either way I got him pretty good so it really doesnt matter. Good kill OP.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
The 04 GTO's actually had the LS1 in them. 5.7 not 6.0

I think I raced an 04 GTO this morning. It had the 05-06 hood and rear bumper w/ dual exhaust but on the trunk lid was a 5.7 badge:??:

So it was either an 04 with 05-06 body components, or an 05-06 trying to fool people with the badge. Either way I got him pretty good so it really doesnt matter. Good kill OP.

Oh my bad. I just figured because of the slaughter is was a 6.0. I've beat a few bolt on non H/C/I 5.7 with my Cobra.

Zeekmann

Established Member
Oh my bad. I just figured because of the slaughter is was a 6.0. I've beat a few bolt on non H/C/I 5.7 with my Cobra.

I know a guy that has the 5.7 and he gets owned everytime, maybe he needs a driver mod:shrug:

KduncSS

Established Member
I know a guy that has the 5.7 and he gets owned everytime, maybe he needs a driver mod:shrug:

Stock or lightly modded they arent that impressive really. There extra poundage and IRS see to that. But the OP's car is full bolt on with a cam and tune so his car should roll out pretty good if driven right. Id say the outcome isnt far off if the Mach only had some exhaust on it.

KduncSS

Established Member

Yep Ive seen it myself a few times too. A friend with a bolt on 99 Cobra beat an 04 6speed GTO with bolt ons and a hot cam by almost a full car. In the GTO's defense it needed a tune BAD, but even tuned it would have been a good race with the GTO probably barely pulling. The hotcam isnt that big of a cam either....

If I was going to get a GTO it would definitely be one of the LS2 cars as they just have alot more to offer. Unless I just found an insane deal on an 04.

04A4GTO

Established Member
Yep Ive seen it myself a few times too. A friend with a bolt on 99 Cobra beat an 04 6speed GTO with bolt ons and a hot cam by almost a full car. In the GTO's defense it needed a tune BAD, but even tuned it would have been a good race with the GTO probably barely pulling. The hotcam isnt that big of a cam either....

If I was going to get a GTO it would definitely be one of the LS2 cars as they just have alot more to offer. Unless I just found an insane deal on an 04.

I hate to say it but I've lost races to slower cars from a dig when I have trouble getting off the line. I think goats are much harder to get going from a dig. And on top of having the IRS most goat owners need drag bags to fit a 275 tire on the back. So some goat owners are still rolling around on the stock 245's. They get easier to launch with drag bags, better tires and some good seat time.

Zeekmann

Established Member
Nice kill, those GTOs are more than a handfull for a n/a Mach 1, it's all about the mods.

I think its more about the driver, I would like to see the drivers switch cars. It would be interesting:beer: my money is on the goat driver

KduncSS

Established Member
I hate to say it but I've lost races to slower cars from a dig when I have trouble getting off the line. I think goats are much harder to get going from a dig. And on top of having the IRS most goat owners need drag bags to fit a 275 tire on the back. So some goat owners are still rolling around on the stock 245's. They get easier to launch with drag bags, better tires and some good seat time.

I hear you man. The GTO's(especially 04 models) have alot to overcome to be competitive on the street. But they are still very nice cars. The one I was talking about had an excellent driver though. His car was just in need of a tune. The 99 Cobra wouldnt have taken him if it would have been running 100%.

radaman

Established Member
I was in town heading away from the local mall when I hear the loud rumble of a mustang. (I couldn't see the car at the time when I heard it, but you can tell when it's a mustang) I look over and see a nice black mustang Mach I. I have no idea what the guy has done to the car, but it sounded like he had headers and a catback. (sounded awesome) Anyway we take off at the light, I might have got the jump, but regardless I pulled him pretty easy all the way up to 80MPH. I let off the gas thinking he might catch up and want to run again, but I guess he had other places to go and turned right. I think I had him by 5-6 cars at least, I even tried to wave at him as I was pulling away. (dork move I know) Anyway at the next light some guy in a white van pulled up next to me and said, "you tore that mustang up didn't ya" then he went on to say how my car sounded good and what not. That was my first time playing with a Mach I, they seem to be about as quick as the new mustang gts. I think I would have pulled him by more if I had better tires on the back of my car. I spun pretty bad at the top of first and on into 2nd gear. I think I need the driver mod too

Nothing like good clean fun
(I was really looking forward to racing a Mach I, my wife owned a 2003 red one when they first came back out. It was a quick car for sure, and much easier to get off the line compared to my goat, so it was nice to finally run one in my GTO)
Good kill! U R probably a 12.0-12.5 car vs a 12.7 car at best, so 5-6 cars sounds about right. I raced a late model gto/manual a couple of weeks ago to about 100 mph and beat him by 2-3 cars.

Users who are viewing this thread