Killed by a Cobra...

BADBOSS

Established Member
So I am on my was home from hockey practice last night in Carson City. I stopped to get gas and I hear this ridiculously loud car go by as I am gassing up. Look up to see a sic looking 2003 Pewter Cobra, heading east. Few minutes later, I hear it again but did not pay attention to direction he was heading. I paid for gas and started for home, north on I580. I set the cruise to 78 and head for home. About 5 miles down the road I pass the Cobra who was only going about 50 in the right lane. I check the mirror and here he comes. He definitely wants to go but we came up on traffic. It takes about a mile to get clear. He pulls up beside me and he goes without nodding. He gets the jump and we go from from 70 to 120. He immediately gets 1/2 car length and then pulls me by 3 or 4 lengths, I shut down as I am coming up on traffic. For the love of GOD his car was loud! I could not hear my car at all and windows are up! i had to look at tach to know when to shift to 5th! His Cobra was also backfiring and smelt weird after the run. So we get around traffic and I want to go again but he pulls behind me and signals to pull over. So I pull over at the next ramp and he pulls up beside me, to my surprise he has his girlfriend and kid in the car (tinted windows at night). He was cool asked me what I had done to my car and he seemed surprised I was able to keep it close. He and his girlfriend were very complimentary of the Boss. He told me he had a VMP supercharger, open headers, cams and Nitrous! Said his car was putting 490 to the wheels. Not sure on that, sounds about right based on how much he beat me by, I think. He said he didn't have the bottle turned on and had a big bag of dog food and 2 extra people in the car, I was alone. I have never raced against a car on Nitrous, so do you think he was telling the truth based on my description of what happened? Regardless it was a fun and still love my Boss even if we got killed...

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
TVS alone is good for mid to high 500'swhp at a minimum. several running on corn pushing into the 700's.

something doesn't add up, if i had cams and a TVS with anything short of 600whp i would be pissed.

upper / lower pulley cars are in the 490 range.

your Boss stock?

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
TVS alone is good for mid to high 500'swhp at a minimum. several running on corn pushing into the 700's.

something doesn't add up, if i had cams and a TVS with anything short of 600whp i would be pissed.

upper / lower pulley cars are in the 490 range.

your Boss stock?

Yea plus 1 on this^^^^

Upper lower cobras or ported cobras make that kinda power. VMP cobras make at least 550hp, cams 570-580, and nitrous would definitely put it over 600. Are you sure he didn't say 590 op?

TERMINATED97

Established Member
I'm just wondering who the hell drives and races around with open headers! I can only imagine how loud that must of been.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If he was telling the truth he has the lowest hp TVS equipped Cobra ever. As is usually the case, he's likely a member on here or someone on here knows the car.

Zemedici

Established Member
open headers?

So he came from a honda to a cobra I see. Got it.

Valiant death op, maybe he's 590 at the tire and he cant read. :)

blinelaxd27

Established Member
who the hell races with their kid in the car...

and yes 490 is extremely low... my 2.2kb cobra with a stock longblock is making 600 lol.

BADBOSS

Established Member
Yeah i was shocked he had his kid in the car, especially with open headers the kid is going to be deaf. I am pretty sure he said 490 but could be wrong as he was yelling at me over his damn loud car instead of shutting it off to talk. I will say again the car backfired several times so who knows maybe it was a bad tune and not nitrous.

BTW Shaun at AED tuned my car, I have an intake, JBA high flow cats, x pipe, and 3 inch exhaust, DSS drive shaft and suspension mods, 438 RWHP on the AED dyno.
:coolman:

Last edited:

elcobrita

Established Member
I have a 3.3 pulley (biggest pulley offered by VMP) on my TVS with stock throttle body and manifolds. I made 550. No way in hell he makes 490.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
And I made 576 with a 3" pulley and belt slip with stock manifolds. I bet he said 590, or 690 who the hell knows! But if it was 690 it would have been more than 3-4 cars.

Users who are viewing this thread