Killed a Spec 3+ in under a year

69Mach1351w

Established Member
*UPDATE** The DFX clutch has been working great so far with about 2000 miles on it. Shifts are so much smoother, hopefully it holds out like this for a while

For the long story short version scroll down a little and grab some popcorn. Otherwise, heres what happened in more detail:

Ok so earlier this week, I started a break torque, got off the break and ripped a 40ft. burnout. This was at night, so maybe mid 40's where i live. The burnout was in second gear and started exactly the same as heating up the tires at the strip. Drop the clucth at 3500 -4000 rpms once it starts spinning apply only enough brake to hold the car still.

So this was all performed on a Spec 3+ with alum. Fidanza Flywheel. The clutch was less than 1 year old with only THREE track passes (it hooked great). From the track until last night, this was the only drop-clutch burnout ive done. My car only has an upper pulley (so 430 450 rwhp) and fits well under the max specifications of a Spec 3+ clutch. The linkage was adjusted properly, 1/8th " clearance from TOB to Fingers on pressure plate.

I drove home in 2nd gear since the street leading to my apartment complex is a little less than .5 miles at around 35 MPH. No clutch smell at all, no smoke coming from the clutch area. I go to back the car into my parking spot and it wont engage in gear at all. Not reverse or 1- 6. Clutch wouldnt disengage at all, because with the car running it just wouldnt go into gear. However once the car was off it freely moved through the gears.

LONG STORY SHORT.... Towed the car home, dropped the trans and inspected it first thinking the Spec would be unscratched. Finally figured it wasnt the trans after re-installing it to "test." So dropped it again, took of the bell housing, removed the pressure plate and noticed a lot of black "dust" dropping down. So we took out all the clutch bolts and.. .. . it just stuck there on the flywheel, instead of dropping into my hands. After a few wacks with a hammer and crowbar the damage was revealed.

The Pressure Plate, the Spec 3+, and the Alum. Flywheel are all toast. Hot spots galore, and actual gouging of the clutch and flywheel!

PICS:

Close up's of clutch:

Pressure Plate:

OOOO doesnt that Flywheel look great!

Few garage pics

Garage Setup

So that about sums it up. It was all installed correctly, I drove it rough only a few times in its short life and I somehow managed to seize the damn thing to the flywheel. Well id also like to add that i have bad luck, so you never know :shrug:

Centerforce DFX is (about to be)ordered, just deciding on alum. or steel flywheel.
What about ACT clutches??
http://www.advancedclutch.com/products/clutchkits.aspx?prod_id=1871#1871
:beer:

Last edited:

tnkucan

tnkucan
Established Member
i alway here people saying they f****d up their clutch iv'e had my har for over 2 years not knowing what clutch is in their never had to change it since i bought the car and have over 600hp car was stock when purchased

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Fusing a metallic disc to the flywheel isn't unheard of

It takes alot of heat and yours definitely got damn hot

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
One of the first cases I've heard of a Spec 3+ failing under those conditions. Good luck with the DFX......I've heard of MANY more instances of the puck-style DFX's failing under the same conditions.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
One of the first cases I've heard of a Spec 3+ failing under those conditions. Good luck with the DFX......I've heard of MANY more instances of the puck-style DFX's failing under the same conditions.

Agreed on both points

DFX sucks

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Maybe try calling Spec, just to see what they say about the situation. This is an odd situation. It's the first time I've read about a 3+ going out. And there's A LOT of praise towards the 3+. A lot of people have it, and love it because of the fact that it performs well, and lasts. Yours going out is unfortunate. I'm kind of interested in hearing what Spec has to say about this.

With that being said, I have a DFX myself. It's been in the car for 3K miles without any problems, and I love it so far. I'm sure you'll love yours.

03cobramanIII

Banned
i gues it all depends on your driving habits too. im sorta easy on the clutch. i never ride it nor hold the pedal in at a red light or heavy traffic,and i dont powershift.
are you sure you broke it in good, and you where the only one that drove the car.? maybe it from slipping the clutch too much from a start.i know how these cars are , if you dont get them enough gas it kills , to much gas and slip clutch too much bluids heat, esp in heavy traffic.
the 3.73s i got now tend to help that some.

i got no idea what set up im going with now. i heard bad stories on all the clutches , single and twin. let me know of a good one. thanks and good luck . i'd call spec to see if its warranted? if so i new free one cant hurt .to try again.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I have a SPEC II and My clutch has been in since April and seen 12K and a shitton of abuse.

Call them and talk to them. Usually they are very good about these things. But that clutch does look like it took a LOT of heat.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
i would say its driver.. either you adjusted it wrong or ride the clutch to much.. i have it with a kb and spray and i have only adjusted it once or twice in 30+ track runs and 5k miles and no problems, so its done well so far..

69Mach1351w

Established Member
I read on another thread of the Fidanza flywheel pegs backing out and causing major problems. My clutch did have a groove carved in it so maybe that was the case. The clutch was broken in right, with alternating heat ranges. I drove around the block a few times, then progressed to highway, and even after 500 miles hit i didnt just jump on it. I never had chatter problems which can be associated with improper break in.

About riding the clutch, i dont, this isnt my first manual car, and this clutch is very "grippy." Also at stop lights i also never rested my foot on the pedal, always in neutral until the light went green, unless i know its s short light.

About the puck design on the DFX. I have noticed that the spec stage 4 goes to a very similar design to the DFX, by using puck style. Also if im not mistaken doesnt the spec 3 use the same design, just the 3+ uses a full face.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
I have heard dirt on both sides of the field: Centerforce Vs. Spec

Primarily on the spec side it is their lower series clutches 1,2,3 but not many 3+'s unless gobs of power. Most local people around here have camaro's and T/A's and 2 of them have had a spec go out on them. One was a spec stg. 2 the other i dont know. I only have a 2.8 upper and exhaust so it should handle anything i should throw at it.

My friend had a t/a with centerforce dual friction, not DFX and made ~ 400 rwhp with no problems. However i have also heard of one puck shattering/destroyed causing a similar situation to my car.

After searching with google, i found a lot more bad news with the spec clutches. However this doesnt mean they are any better or worse, perhaps most people have tried running a spec than most other brands. This means there will be more complaints/success's, but the rates could be the same for other clutches.

But, I am still torn. Try my luck again with SPEC or try out the DFX????? What about ACT? The bad thing is its going to be ordered soon, (by monday Dec 11th) to make sure it arrives by this coming weekend.

what about ACT clutches, any info/ response?

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I highly recommend steering away from the DFX. I friggin hate mine, and am waiting for it to just die so I can get a different one. I have heard good things about RAM clutches, and of course the twin disks.

boosted_truck

Network God
Established Member
I have heard dirt on both sides of the field: Centerforce Vs. Spec

Primarily on the spec side it is their lower series clutches 1,2,3 but not many 3+'s unless gobs of power. Most local people around here have camaro's and T/A's and 2 of them have had a spec go out on them. One was a spec stg. 2 the other i dont know. I only have a 2.8 upper and exhaust so it should handle anything i should throw at it.

My friend had a t/a with centerforce dual friction, not DFX and made ~ 400 rwhp with no problems. However i have also heard of one puck shattering/destroyed causing a similar situation to my car.

After searching with google, i found a lot more bad news with the spec clutches. However this doesnt mean they are any better or worse, perhaps most people have tried running a spec than most other brands. This means there will be more complaints/success's, but the rates could be the same for other clutches.

But, I am still torn. Try my luck again with SPEC or try out the DFX????? What about ACT? The bad thing is its going to be ordered soon, (by monday Dec 11th) to make sure it arrives by this coming weekend.

what about ACT clutches, any info/ response?

In the VW/Audi world people were having issues with Spec clutches. Mostly those who had the lighted PP though. They seam to come apart at high RPM's. I've had three spec clutches though in the past and never had any issues.

69Mach1351w

Established Member
I highly recommend steering away from the DFX. I friggin hate mine, and am waiting for it to just die so I can get a different one. I have heard good things about RAM clutches, and of course the twin disks.

maybe you installed it wrong... . .. Just kidding

I knew i would get that one a few times. But what in particular dont you like about the DFX. Also is that DFX paired with an Alum. or Steel flywheel. Some with the DFX have no chatter and love the steel fly. Any elaboration will help me decide on which clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread