Killed a Red C5 Corvette in the Lincoln LS the other day

rocket5979

Established Member
I was pulling onto Rollins road from Hwy 45 when I seen a red Corvette turning left also. I had my hopes up that I would be able to have a little fun but still didn't think much was going to happen so I left the remote bottle opener alone so as not to waste nitrous if this guy ends up being a slug.

Well he starts gunning it and pulling ahead quite quickly; probably just having fun by himself as I don't think he noticed me at first. After I seen him do that once or twice then I made sure to let him know I was behind him and interested. I see an opening about to come up ahead of us so I decide now is the time to open the bottle and do a quick purge while he doesn't see anything.

I get up on the guys lefthand side and wait for him to look over and notice me. Once he looked over I looked ahead and waggled my finger asking if he wanted to race. I must admit that I didn't know if even then he was going to do anything but to my surprise he got on the gas damn near instantly! By the time me and then my car reacted ( I left it in auto instead of going manumatic) he was about 1/2 car ahead and pulling fairly well. Once the nitrous hit I could feel my car lurch forward a good amount and start gaining ground on him. By the time we both let off I was about 1 car length ahead of him.

Then I see his front end lift up and get on it again and once again I get on it and almost even things out though my reaction the second time around was pretty slow. Once we came up to Round Lake area he was still going straight and I had to turn right on my way home. Before I did I stopped in the right turn lane (no one behind me) and rolled my window down to BS for a quick second. I asked him what he had for mods and he said it was stock. Then I told him I had nitrous. He was smiling and was saying that my car was pretty quick and something of the lines of, "No wonder". Overall VERY cool Vette owner.

I really wish we could have went from a dig. He would kicked my ass for the first 1/8th mile but I would have probably reeled him back in by the end being that he was stock; unless he was a really good driver. This car sure does like the roll races. I am just glad that I got to have a little fun in the LS. It sure was a beautiful day to do so.

Last edited:

rk_2000_Z/28

LS1 to SVT
Established Member
Ha! Awesome kill man! I remember your thread not too long ago about spanking the T/A! I bet your car is a blast man! I would love to see it in person. What is your exhaust note like? Does it sound pretty stock?

You need to post some pics and vids bro!

Good kill!

rocket5979

Established Member
rk_2000_Z/28 said:
Ha! Awesome kill man! I remember your thread not too long ago about spanking the T/A! I bet your car is a blast man! I would love to see it in person. What is your exhaust note like? Does it sound pretty stock?

You need to post some pics and vids bro!

Good kill!

Thanks man.

Oh god the exhaust sounds BONE stock. When getting on the gas it does have a little grumble from the CAI but that is it. If you look in the trunk the nitrous bottle and remote opener are in plain view, right next to my golf clubs at the moment :-D , but I hid the system VERY well in the engine bay. I have probably attached pics and links to vids of my car before in here but let me do it again. Thanks SVTP for letting me have all of your bandwidth! Hehe.

rocket5979

Established Member
Here are some pics and links to a few videos of me running it at the track and on the dyno. I do not have a vid of my best track run which does suck, but it always seems like that is the case. When there is no cam around you run a new best. When there are tons of cams around you are at your worst.

PICS:

LSExteriorPics003.jpg

The LS when it is actually clean!

NXBottleOpener.jpg

The nitrous bottle and NX remote opener.

BottleOpener.jpg

Another look at the bottle, opener, and of course the fire extinguisher just to keep things kiiiiiind of safe.

NitrousSwitchPanel2.jpg

My custom hidden nitrous switch panel. From left to right you see the remote opener switch, master arm switch that controls hidden FJO Progressive controller (inside dash, under CD player), and in the 12v power port I hid the blue purge button.

LSDynoCurves.jpg

Here is the dyno graph. Since then I have retuned both the PCM and also the FJO Progressive controller. As you can see from about 4,750 RPM's on up the A/F and power is smooth. That is because that is the point at which I hit 100% of the shot commanded from the progressive controller. When the shot is ramping from 25%-100% things usually get a little wavy. I will not get technical here but suffice it to say that I reprogrammed a few things in the controller and the hit comes on smoother and sooner now.

VIDEOS:

Lincoln LS Nitrous Dyno Video

05 Lincoln LS -vs- 97 Cobra

Bad driving on my part.

Lincoln LS -vs- LS1 GTO

Admittedly the GTO driver probably wasn't getting the best out of his car but then again neither was I. :lol:

I hope this at least kind of puts a "face" to the name so to speak. I think I intended to post some pics and/or vids up in the T/A kill thread but SVTP is VERY picky with what host sites it will show pictures from.

Last edited:

DouBLeJ16

Roadkill Lurker
Established Member
Good kill and cool car.. I remember when I had my scion tc (9.82 @ 74mph in the 1/8th) I got taken out by a pretty stock looking LS. He pulled a good 2 cars on me fairly fast.

I pulled up next to the guy after to ask him what he had done (if anything) and he flicked me off and then took off. Not sure why considering he won.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
When I saw the thread title I was wondering what you were smoking , up until I saw that you were running the nitrous. That's awesome bro , nice kill

rocket5979

Established Member
DouBLeJ16 said:
I pulled up next to the guy after to ask him what he had done (if anything) and he flicked me off and then took off. Not sure why considering he won.

Wow that guys sounds like he was a total prick! Oh well, there are a few in every bunch. I have to admit I don't like 99% of fellow LS owners. It seems that they are either into 20" rims, lambo doors and subwoofers or they are old prudish bastards who need to get a life. There is almost zero people who actually mod their LS for power. To my knowledge I have the most powerful, quickest and fastest LS both N/A and sprayed too. Pretty sad to have that title while only running low 13's with traction issues. Hehe.

BTW, the LS on juice runs 8.70's in the 1/8th mile and 9.20's in the 1/8 while N/A. These are somewhat quick-ish cars in stock form, though nothing really special. I would guess a stocker Gen 2 LS would do about 9.60's or so in the 1/8th. I never ran my LS bone stock down the strip.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
ScareCrow said:
When I saw the thread title I was wondering what you were smoking , up until I saw that you were running the nitrous. That's awesome bro , nice kill

Hehehehe I tend to get that allot. It is understandable though. If I saw a similar car and didn't know the mods and noticed they were claiming kills on Corvette's I would be very ready to raise the BS flag too. I guess that is why I have plenty of pictures and vids on hand so people can get a glimpse. I like showing people video's of the LS or the Kenne Bell Explorer beating (what should be) a much faster car.

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
rocket5979 said:
Hehehehe I tend to get that allot. It is understandable though. If I saw a similar car and didn't know the mods and noticed they were claiming kills on Corvette's I would be very ready to raise the BS flag too. I guess that is why I have plenty of pictures and vids on hand so people can get a glimpse. I like showing people video's of the LS or the Kenne Bell Explorer beating (what should be) a much faster car.
Cool lets see the kenne Bell Explorer:beer:

rocket5979

Established Member
godfather said:
Cool lets see the kenne Bell Explorer:beer:

I posted a few different threads on it in here and other Mustang forums. Just do a google search for "Kenne Bell Explorer" or "Kenne Bell Ford Explorer" and you will run into a few of my phase 1 build threads as well as the phase 2 build thread.

Phase 1 put out 400rwhp and then detuned to 360rwhp to save stocker tranny and bottom end.

Phase 2 is finished and will put out easily 500+ rwhp on 17 psi with stocker heads/cams once I get a few small leaks under control and tune it. Once worked h/c's go in then I plan to bump to 20 psi and also drop a 50 or 75 wetshot of nitrous in there. Should be good for close to 700rwhp. Everything is more than built to handle it except for the rear end.

Kenne Bell Explorer Cardomain Page

Make sure to take a look at page 2 as that has some of the phase 2 build pictures on it.

Nitrous LS Cardomain Page

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Well there may be a new development to the LS sleeper project.

First off it looks like I will be becoming a STS dealer so I may be doing the LS turbo project sooner than expected.

Also, I may have a line on a limited slip rear; YAY TRACTION!!! Between those two the LS should be good for solid mid 12's and still be a great DD. I might just be able to surprise a few more cars out there.

BISKIT

Sinergy Motorsports
Established Member
rocket5979 said:
Well there may be a new development to the LS sleeper project.

First off it looks like I will be becoming a STS dealer so I may be doing the LS turbo project sooner than expected.

Also, I may have a line on a limited slip rear; YAY TRACTION!!! Between those two the LS should be good for solid mid 12's and still be a great DD. I might just be able to surprise a few more cars out there.

Welcome to the family.:beer:

rocket5979

Established Member
BISKIT said:
Welcome to the family.:beer:

Thank ya, thank ya.

For now I have been piecing the other stuff together for it here lately because this turbo project will be more of a budget build as the real project car just got done eating the hell out of funds. The Ford GT fuel pump (I have two left over from another project), Cobra 39 lb/hr injectors and FMIC are sitting in the garage as we speak. Tubing, turbo and its accessories will come later.

Users who are viewing this thread