Kill or be killed

golfcartracerx

Established Member
I bought a stock 97 babied cobra a month ago. Since then I have had every and anything try to race me. From which I didnt bother being stock and not giving anyone the pride to say they beat a cobra. So now I have 3 races I must compete. One is my lil bro, one a friend who works for me and the other a tech who works for me. Details below -

lil bro-
2009 135i, intake and sticky ass tires. He has a tune that he rarely has installed.

Friend-
2009 challenger R/T with exhaust, auto, k/n drop in

tech-
96 gt exhaust and says its fast...(other techs say its just loud) and cannot be 2 fast as I know his pay rate :p

Me-
97 cobra, 430's, jlt intake, bbk o/r x dumped with flows, sct tuner, 170 degree thermostat(if it matters), mgw shifter, and 275's out back

I plan on replacing plugs wires and fuel filter before anything happens.What do you guys think? Kill or be killed...

Thx

(Location will not be at a track, safe tho)

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
the GT will definitely be a kill....the 135 is a loss...but will be close from a dig...and the Challenger you should wax no problem...they are on the heavy side nd only really pull in 1st and second gear with the autos..so even if it is close you should walk him up top

golfcartracerx

Established Member
430's are insane, with stock gears my car would dip when shifting, now the front end stays up til I let off. RPM's run at 3k @ 80 mph. I havent gone thru a tank yet to give mpg but I doubt it will be good as I have a rare disease called leadfootitis. Being able to accelerate in 5th at any speed is nice =) I would def recommend them.

Are you guys saying the 135i will be a lose with or without his tune on?

SVT95

Established Member
430's are insane, with stock gears my car would dip when shifting, now the front end stays up til I let off. RPM's run at 3k @ 80 mph. I havent gone thru a tank yet to give mpg but I doubt it will be good as I have a rare disease called leadfootitis. Being able to accelerate in 5th at any speed is nice =) I would def recommend them.

I have no idea with 135i since I have never raced one but the GT is a win and I would unfortunately say a loss with the dodge. I raced an auto from 45-90, sounded like it had exhaust but it's hard to say what else was on it. It was close but he put about a car on me. That was in my 95 cobra with full exhaust, some ignition parts, and gears.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member

Even a stock 135i will be a tough race.

golfcartracerx

Established Member
Yea its a fast mofo especially when his tune is on but after he fried his fuel pump on it he doesnt run with it on. So what do i need to take the 135i besides boost?

golfcartracerx

Established Member
No experience with it, is there such a thing as a "safe" sized shot cuz if thats what it takes I will def get a wet kit but I dont want to harm the motor.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
No experience with it, is there such a thing as a "safe" sized shot cuz if thats what it takes I will def get a wet kit but I dont want to harm the motor.

Its all in the tune. A 100 shot would be plenty safe with a good tune. Afew machs on the reg have run tons of bottles with a 175 shot and never had an issue. Thats more than I would care to run on the stock motor, but if it works for them then cool.....

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I have no idea with 135i since I have never raced one but the GT is a win and I would unfortunately say a loss with the dodge. I raced an auto from 45-90, sounded like it had exhaust but it's hard to say what else was on it. It was close but he put about a car on me. That was in my 95 cobra with full exhaust, some ignition parts, and gears.

Ya but the difference is in the motors. A '95 from the factory I believe only had about 240hp and the '97 had just over 300hp. I have no doubt you would be able to take the Dodge in a 97.

majorownage

yep
Established Member
4.30's, short runner intake, and advance the intake cams, tune

Underdrive w/p pulley

Skip the cai's, rai's etc

majorownage

yep
Established Member
Its all in the tune. A 100 shot would be plenty safe with a good tune. Afew machs on the reg have run tons of bottles with a 175 shot and never had an issue. Thats more than I would care to run on the stock motor, but if it works for them then cool.....

wet shots are no go with the plenum BELOW the runners. Direct port is the only way to go

cobracide

Established Member
The early cobras need gears, the torque is just not there. Had a 2001 cobra (318hp) and it was still a little buzzy with the T3650 five speed. Add steeda pulleys unless you are going to supercharge it, every bit helps. 96-98 cams should get you 15-20hp more. Port the lower intake. You should be @ 350hp with that. FR500 heads are good straight out of the box and better ported. Add the FR500 intake (probably not around anymore) for both short and long runner advantages. Gains naturally aspirated are hard to come by and expensive. Not sure on the short runner intake unless it's a more dedicated track car. You can hardly afford to lose more torque.

Of course supercharged is a whole new ballgame.

Last edited:

FBO 335i

Established Member
Yea its a fast mofo especially when his tune is on but after he fried his fuel pump on it he doesnt run with it on. So what do i need to take the 135i besides boost?
The fuel pump sucks wether you're tuned or not.

If he has the newest 443 fuel pump he shouldn't worry, I have not heard anything about those going bad.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
If i had a 96-98 Cobra it would have 4.30's in it. 4.10's would be ok too. But +1 about them needing help on the low end. Also +1 about nitrous and having a safe tune. Usually the ones that go pop, got greedy and up the shot but nothing with the tune.
Get a Zex wet kit, easy install and a dynot tune for a 125 shot. You'll have all the wins then.

Users who are viewing this thread