Kids and computers

hoamskilet

Established Member
My daughter is becoming a little more independent on the computer, so I've been thinking about what steps I need to take to block stuff I don't want her to see. What all have you guys with kids done?

She likes getting on and watching videos and playing games on sites like pbs kids and national geographic kids, etc....I set up her own profile on our computer last night so she can't make any changes to the computer and has things like safe search enabled on the browser and youtube. What else should I be doing?

I'm not a helicopter parent by any means, but I also don't want her to have free range to search/see anything

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Several AV products have policies that can be applied to browsers that will allow you to control the types web content(content filtering), media etc..You can also do this with more expensive firewalls/gateways, (most enterprise/business class firewalls support content filtering, but it won't be cheap) ...since this is for home I would just look into finding a suitable AV package that supports web/content filtering...I use/deployed Sophos Endpoint Protection/Intercept X at work. I don't think they really have a consumer/home use product, but you should be able to find something similar from another AV provider, Symantec/McAffee/BitDefender etc.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Not sure how old your daughter is, but we got ours a Kindle Fire Kids, which self-restricts to age appropriate stuff. Also has many shows that you can’t find on YouTube. Attaches to your Amazon Prime account, and can download apps/videos when you don’t have WiFi.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Honestly, paranoid as it sounds, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates didn’t let their kids use smartphones, or unlimited unsupervised internet access...

Let that sink in.

I would not let my kids use the internet unsupervised unless I was certain they were set and solid in red pill thinking. That’s me though.

The internet and mainly tech giants gear their content to drive a very left agenda. If you like those concepts, let them have at it. If you don’t, I would supervise and teach them what it is they are being exposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread