Kicking around turning my Steeda GT into a B headed 4V

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Not sure this is the right forum but since its about a B headed 4V I'll roll with it.

I just picked up 2 B headed motors for $500 today. Both need rebuilt but are in good condition. One is a fully dressed Cobra motor with FRPP shorties and BBK TB but with a Mark bottom (cast crank boo) and the other is a regular Mark VIII motor. My 2V has a spun rod bearing and I have found someone who has the 4V brackets for my Novi 2000 that I need to do this swap.

Was going to get them to use one of the Teksids in a 2V rebuild but they were so cheap and now that I have all these parts and found someone with the blower brackets I need...

You guys see any reason I shouldn't swap? Reasoning is that the B heads are going to way outflow the stock PI heads I was going to use, I don't need to buy cams now, I don't need to buy another plastic intake now, I've got the front assembly and everything... I know the B heads are not the best but the SN95 Cobra intake is the prettiest intake out there IMO and with a Novi cramming a ton of boost down their throats I think they'll do ok.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Not a bad swap at all IMO. Do your homework on what harness wires/pigtails etc need to be swapped or extended.
Just freshen the B heads up and upgrade the springs. Make sure the Cams on the one motor are the actual Cobra cams (intake).

The cast cranks will be OK up to a certain power level (usually around 600HP), if you want more or to be safe(r), then get the forged crank.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yeah I've been researching all that is involved in the swap. Few pigtails and coolant crossover and lengthen/reverse the COPs. Also going to need 4V COPs and convert my rails to returnless or modify some 99-up Cobra or Mach rails.

The cams I have are actually 2 sets of Mark cams so will have to pay for the real F6 Cobra cams. Cranks... well I am planning on using Boss rods, Manley SpeedPro pistons and shifting at 7K or so. The Novi can support way more than 600hp but not sure I want or need more than that. I now have 3 cast cranks in my garage so I have them just lying around to use...

Yes to new springs and freshen up the B heads. Any specific springs that are a fair price for someone who doesn't need "omg" springs?

Pretty much I want to have a solid 500rwhp until I upgrade my fuel system and transmission. Currently running a real low mileage original T45 and the Steeda installed 42lb injectors.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
If you are going to boost it, and are planning on tearing down the shortblock already, you might as well just find a forged crank and do it right the first time. I know your initial goal is just 500rwhp, but the cast crank leaves you very little wiggle room to move up once you upgrade fuel and tranny

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I still have never heard of a cast crank letting go that was the actual fault of the crank... Not on a street car making even near the power I will be making and the RPM I'll be turning. Ppl run them up to 650-700 all the time. But yes its one less thing to worry about if I go forged. I've been keeping an eye out for a deal. I am still pissed I sold my old Teksid and forged crank when I thought I was done with 4.6s... oh well. Will also be going straight to 60lb injectors, looking for a Termi fuel tank setup and getting a BAP for this thing.

I just dunno if a forged crank is really needed with basic forged pistons and Boss rods that won't take much more than 700hp anyway. I'm not building this as a 4 figure power car or anything, I'll likely never break 600hp TBTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread