Kicker 8 inch door subs

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If these are the one's that Shelby sells, I've installed them. The only problem I found with them is they seems to take more power than the stock speakers and lack volume. I changed the door speakers at the same time. It sounds better than the stock speakers to me.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I just had 2 sets of 6x8 Polk's installed, and I'm very impressed with the increase in volume, quality, clarity, and sound. I asked about the "Next step", along with keeping the Ford front end. Both Crutchfield and my installer said to add a 4x1 Amp next if I want a little more. Alpine Amp installed about $ 300.00. When I asked about the "Lower Door Subs", they are different impedance, and would need a much bigger amp, and Ford installs the Subs on the door cover and they rattle when the volume goes up. Both said do them last. Going to stay with the speakers only and see how I like it..

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If I had it to do over again, I would go with a truck mounted sub. I may still go that route.

fullboogie

Established Member
Catmonkey - I will be doing the same. I had a box custom made for my GT that has a 12" JL sub in it, and the sound was phenomenal. I'll be transferring the whole system from that car into my Shelby, and have been thinking about not using the door subs at all. For one, I think they will rattle with any kind of power. Second, they will require another amp, which I don't want to hassle with. Third, you simply don't need door subs if you have a good one in the trunk.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I haven't had a system in my car since 1998. I got jacked and hadn't messed with it since. Used to be fun but the factory shaker 500 works for me. My money will be going to performance mods only.

shelbycobra

Established Member
door speakers

i changed my door subs too,it help some but you need a bigger amp to sould real good

Illtaketwlight

Established Member

bumplime

Established Member
Yes, the 8" bass door speakers have their own amp in the doors.

Maybe I'm not understanding you but reading it the way it is typed, pure saying there are Amps in the doors for the 8s. I'm sure that is not what you meant to say, if it is you're wrong.
I've had my doors apart more times than I care to remember. They're sealed like a sub, well not really but they've got enough dynamat extreme, dyna liner etc to please more than enough people. The factory 8s are a dual 1.5 ohm speaker. Simply replacing them isn't ideal, the factory amp isn't going to have enough power to push a traditional 4 ohm sub. That is why people lose bass when they simply swap them out. If you want loud, a corner mounted forward firing 12" would work well. Just add power/ watts.
To do it right a person should have a dedicated amp for the subs that is the correct ohm rating. You should also have something like a PAC module, MS8, etc to assist with the integration into the factory system.
In all honesty, the factory 8s work extremely well when the doors are sealed. They compliment the factory mids and don't over run them.

I personally went with a B&C drivers and an amp for them. Like every mod with these cars, when does a person say ok I'm happy now. I haven't yet, guess that's why I haven't installed any of the equipment for my stereo yet

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I installed a complete system. MB Quarts two way in front doors, with mid bass system in lower doors. Rear i added two way MB quarts with two JL audio 8 inch subs . One amp is a 4 way 500 watt JL audio and the sub amp is 500 watt JL audio single channel. Head unit is Kenwood touch screen that does more then i could ever figure out how to use. I love using the Ipod for music and the sound quality just blows away the stock system. Buy a system and you'll never look back. It cost a few grand, but its money well spent. If your not into buying a system. I'd leave the stock mid bass and just upgrade the two way system. Thats what i did when i first bought my car. It didn't sound great, but was an improvement over stock. Bass AMP's are left side of dash. The mid bass speaker really isn't the problem, Its the very small and low RMS wattage/AMP's

ivandrea

Established Member
I completely gutted the factory system and redid it with aftermarket components. There are not amps in the doors for the subs just to clarify. Any speaker upgrade will improve the sound quaility and clarity but you are limited by the stock head unit and amplifiers. The best way to go is with a component type layout which includes a tweeter and mid speaker. There are several sizes and all sound similar. As far as brands there are the ones that everyone has heard of such as pioneer, alpine, kenwood, etc., there are others that only specialize speakers, amps, or head units such as soundstream, PPI, MB Quartz, eclipse, boston acoustics, etc. I have some equipment left over that I used and did not use from earlier configurations. If anyone is interested check out my thread or PM me. If you need any advise or recommendations let me know as well. I have been installing and modifying sound systems for many years.

bumplime

Established Member
I could be, but I don't think I am. Earlier models may be different. What year is your car? What are you doing to seal your doors?

2008. I used dynamat products on the outer and inner door skins, the only holes in them are for wires, door latch, 8" enclosures. The door panel itself is lined with dynamat products.

TexasShelby

Established Member
installed new woofers, speakers, amp and head
completely different sound. very very tight and nice.

SAM_1991.jpg

SAM_1939.jpg

stickerposted.jpg

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
I'll never understand why factory stereo options, even premium options, aren't as good as some decent aftermarket components. This is one area the OEM's have yet to figure out. People would pay if it sounds good. I guess the masses think a Ford "Shaker" system is great when they're used to the factory crap their 1993 Saturn had and just leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread