Keyless entry on my 95

Blaster77

Established Member
When I bought my 95 it did not have keyless so I bought an OEM Keyless entry from ford. When my brother went to install it for me, he claims it's for the wrong vehicle, but I called ford and asked them if the part number was available to install for 95 Cobras. They said yeah it was for that year. My brother says I'm missing parts from it. I'm trying to stay away from aftermarket alarm systems. I guess my question is, should I get someone to put it in for me or should I go with the aftermarket ones? I just wanna be able to click a button to get in my car, because sometimes it's too cold and the key doesn't work right (I feel like I am going to snap the key off in the lock because it won't turn)

The part number is 2W7Z-19A361-AA

Thanks in advance

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
If you have pressure against the steering column, from the ignition being locked, try turning the steering wheel one way or the other - just slightly, to relieve the locking pressure, and then turn the key ... this is common on almost any car with a locking steering column.

As far as the alarm goes, modern aftermarket alarm systems are easily installed by professionals, so I wouldn't be afraid to have one put in. Of course, the money you've already spent may have been for nothing, because an alarm shop will not likely install a system that you purchased from someone else. JMO

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Blaster77 said:
The part number is 2W7Z-19A361-AA

Thanks in advance

I just called my friend in Ford parts............he says that 2W7Z-........... part number is listed for a 2003-up Crown Vic.

R

Blaster77

Established Member
Dano said:
If you have pressure against the steering column, from the ignition being locked, try turning the steering wheel one way or the other - just slightly, to relieve the locking pressure, and then turn the key ... this is common on almost any car with a locking steering column.

WHat i meant for snapping the key off is in the lock cylinder on the outside of the car...

RobertM said:
I just called my friend in Ford parts............he says that 2W7Z-........... part number is listed for a 2003-up Crown Vic.

R

I just called again to a different ford dealership and they said it would work with a 95 cobra with that part number...I just don't get it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Blaster77 said:
WHat i meant for snapping the key off is in the lock cylinder on the outside of the car...

I just called again to a different ford dealership and they said it would work with a 95 cobra with that part number...I just don't get it.

^^^^^^^^If water/moisture gets into the cylinder, it can definitly be difficult to turn in cold weather. A cylinder that is not lubricated can also compound this problem.

^^^^^^^What exactly is the part that you have bought. There is a key-less entry pad (rectangle shaped with key pad) that I have seen in the Ford parts dept. It will work, but all of the other items, door lock solenoids and all other associated parts have to already be in the car and working and you program this box. As for a factory alarm very few 1995 Cobras came with the "Theft" deterrent option as it was added mid year.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Blaster77 said:

Ok, yes this part number will work as a universal kit according to Ford parts. It adds remote keyless entry to a car that does not have it, but the car does have to be equipped with power door locks.

R

Blaster77

Established Member
Robert M said:
Ok, yes this part number will work as a universal kit according to Ford parts. It adds remote keyless entry to a car that does not have it, but the car does have to be equipped with power door locks.

R
My car does have power locks. How do I check for the module that should be in my car? I understand it was a dealer option to put keyless on a cobra back in 95. Maybe somewhere along the line the keyless was lost or dead.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Blaster77 said:
My car does have power locks. How do I check for the module that should be in my car? I understand it was a dealer option to put keyless on a cobra back in 95. Maybe somewhere along the line the keyless was lost or dead.

I am not sure about the dealer option for keyless as both of my 95 2-Tops have it with their original pony key ring fobs. I believe from all appearences that mine are Ford assembly line installed. From what I understand about this kit you purchased, it should have a programmable module that you mount in the car, fobs to put on your key rings, and a add-on wiring harness that connects the module provided in the kit with the items that are already existing in your car that are needed to make the kit work, mainly the door lock solenoids. I have never seen this kit in person, but those parts are what I am told are included along with an instruction sheet for installation and programming.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Blaster77 said:

I just reread your question above^^^^^^"How do I check for the module that should be in my car?" <<<That is a good question....If a car, that has electric locks, has been sold and somehow, somewhere that remote fobs have been misplaced or lost and are now not with the car, how do you know if it has the keyless feature??

I have called my friend at Ford, he "thinks" that there is a section in the ECM that can be accessed with the scanner at the dealership and things like the frequency that the fob and keyless module operate, in that specific car, are listed. He is going to look up the module and see where it is located in a 95 Mustang. I have a feeling it is under the console, however, maybe it is in the trunk area? He is too busy right now, so I will call him later.

R

Blaster77

Established Member
Other mustangs have it in the trunk area i believe. I'll take pics of the kit later and maybe you can recognize some of the parts in the kit. It did not come with instructions to program and/or install. it says you have to goto inford.com but you need login info to access it. Thanks for your help man, I appreciate it because all ford dealers around here are lame.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
if its factory, open the trunk, on the drivers side, (from the top, pull the liner back on the side of the trunk.... youll see a gray, 2 wire connector. thats what you use to program it. have someone sit in the car, take a pocket knife, cross the to open pins in the connector, have ya friend turn the key to on. locks should cycle, then just press one button on each transmiter. turn key off and they are programmed

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Blaster77 said:
Other mustangs have it in the trunk area i believe. I'll take pics of the kit later and maybe you can recognize some of the parts in the kit. It did not come with instructions to program and/or install. it says you have to goto inford.com but you need login info to access it. Thanks for your help man, I appreciate it because all ford dealers around here are lame.

Yes, it is a Ford dealer installed item and you are correct the instructions are through that Ford website and is limited access. I had misunderstood about the instructions. One thing that my parts connection says is that the install is "tricky", they had installed it in an elderly persons vehicle and after numerous trips back to the service dept., this add-on was eventually removed from this persons car, as it did not work to her expectations. There might have been an issue that the module was getting kicked or something, he was not sure, but he remembers that the one they installed at his dealership was a service problem. Maybe it was user error in this specific case, maybe not? FWIW.

R

Blaster77

Established Member
So if a stealership had issues installing it, I guess the place down the street can't install it right. Damn I may have go with an aftermarket one. This sucks.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Slow95Cobra said:
have you jumped the connector in the trunk to program it? or how are you trying to program it

What does this connector look like?
Is it a simple 2 prong gray plug, next to the white box?
I tried jumping that and it did nothing. Not a spark. the door locks didn't move either.
I think I may need a new module...

Users who are viewing this thread