Key wont turn car off

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Need Your Knowledge...1996 Cobra

So I went to turn off my car after parking it...but it wouldn't turn off. The key would turn to the off position, however the car wouldn't stop running, even after taking the key completely out! After manually killing the car, the car would still start but you had to turn the key forward quite a bit. Once the car was killed, everything stays on inside the car as if the key was turned forward, so I had to disconnect the batter to turn everything off for the night.

Any ideas on the issue here?

Thanks

98SVTContour98

Established Member
They are attempting to replace the switch today, if that doesn't work, they said they will likely have to replace the entire steering column!!!

I'm in shock.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Never heard of that. The switch itself is where all electrical contacts are made.
Start, Acc, off, etc... The column is just a mounting point. Now maybe the harness has an issue but I doubt it.

richstang

Established Member
I 'm not sure if they still did this on the '94-'98's but the earlier Fox bodies had the ignition switch riveted in place.
You had to drill them out to replace it.

Don't let them talk you into replacing the steering column...that's just insane.
If they push that option take it somewhere else!

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Apparently the "rod" or "rods" (I can't recall exactly what they said) broke, and in order to replace it, they have to tear down the column and rebuild it. There's a plastic "ignition actuator rod" inside the steering column. When you turn your key forward, this rod moves forward, and in return moves the lever on the ignition starter switch between the off, run, and start positions. Over time, the pin that holds it in place and/or plastic rod itself will wear out and break.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
There is a rod that goes from the end of the key cylinder to the ignition switch. IIRC it isn't that hard to get to. It should be part of the ignition switch job but I never did a switch on anything newer than 84 or so. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread