Key in Ignition cylinder wont turn....Grrrr

svtshadow

Banned
Drove my car, parked it came back the next day and my key wont turn while its in the ignition. The steering wheel was unlocked at the time and the key wont turn in the ignition. I tried wd40, slightly tapping the key in ignition with a rubber mallet, rocking the steering wheel which ended up locking the steering wheel. I tried to remove the ignition cylinder by pushing the release pin underneath the steering column, still the key wont turn nor will the ignition cylinder come off. I understand that you have to turn the key to accessory in order for the ignition cylinder to come off but since the key/ignition wont turn at all, that cylinder is not coming out. Anybody got an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks

jconnor3

Established Member
I had this issue when my mom backed into my car and it moved the front wheel slightly. It locked the ignition. Read online if you pull your steering wheel and hold it (not jerk it) to one side or the other while trying to turn the key that will do it.....it worked for me. You have to pull on the steering wheel pretty hard (atleast I had to) and then the key turned freely. I tried pulling both directions before i got it. This may or may not be it, but worth a shot.

svtshadow

Banned
I had this issue when my mom backed into my car and it moved the front wheel slightly. It locked the ignition. Read online if you pull your steering wheel and hold it (not jerk it) to one side or the other while trying to turn the key that will do it.....it worked for me. You have to pull on the steering wheel pretty hard (atleast I had to) and then the key turned freely. I tried pulling both directions before i got it. This may or may not be it, but worth a shot.

At this point I am trying everything to avoid the drilling option!

svtaddict

Established Member
I've heard sometimes the pins get worn out and that there is some graphite spray you can use on the inside of the lock that helps too. I agree with that other guy talking about maybe your steering wheels locked up.

Users who are viewing this thread