Kevin was right!!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Took my R in for the knuckle recall today. Stayed with the car while it was being done, except for when I got talking to another guy, who ownes a pantera or something like that?? Anyways, they finished it and I drove it back to my dealership(where I work). I noticed on the drive back that it didn't quit feel right in the back end, but didn't think much about it. I parked the car and a guy came over to look at it and while he was looking at the engine I did a walk around and noticed the left rear brake was HOT. I thought wtf, it was hot just like I came off a track, but it had only been driven 6 highway miles.

Well, to make a long story short, I jacked the rear off the ground and found the rear left tire could be wiggled back and forth. I pulled the wheel and tightened the center nut that holds the half shaft into the hub. It is fine now, but I am going to have to have the alignment checked again just to be sure it's still ok.

You guessed it, it was the knuckle that was done while I was talking to the guy with the Pantera. Man that could have been so bad if it would have gone unnoticed.

Brian

JoeJ

Established Member
Brian,

That is exactly what happened to me. Except I went to TWS right after I got the ungrade. I only made 1 !/2 laps and the bearing exploded. I was one pissed off Texas. That nut needs to be torqued to 250 ft-lbs.
Sure glad you caught it before it caused real damage.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by tommylightning
You don't want me to say it do ya Brian? :rolling:
So I won't.

I Know I Know. The next R comes to you!! Did you have them order the parts yet? How about the wheel for the 01?

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Yeah brian,

better listen to tom.....he knows everything about everything with 4 wheels..................... even knows a thing or two boout chevys heheh....

kevin

brian, check the wear on your rear tires. mine were totally destroyed.

look at 'em and see if there's "sideways" scuff marks. if so, then the dealership owes ya some tires.

glad ya didn't have more desastrous results.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
brian, check the wear on your rear tires. mine were totally destroyed.

look at 'em and see if there's "sideways" scuff marks. if so, then the dealership owes ya some tires.

glad ya didn't have more desastrous results.

Kevin, No the tires are fine, I believe I caught it before anything was damaged.

Tom,
The vin # has been sent to you via email. :)

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Part # 1R3Z-5B706-AA ordered. Wheels are on back order and I have to see if I can warranty them or lot damage them. The only problem I run into is that it wasn't noted at delivery. And I have a tough time getting over that hurdle every time it comes up.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by tommylightning
Part # 1R3Z-5B706-AA ordered. Wheels are on back order and I have to see if I can warranty them or lot damage them. The only problem I run into is that it wasn't noted at delivery. And I have a tough time getting over that hurdle every time it comes up.

Tom,
We will work it out one way or another that is fair. I can always put you in a head lock till you say uncle. :D

Just let me know when the kit is in.

Thanks Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
can i watch the head lock?

Problem is Tommy is bigger than me, I am betting he would get me to say uncle. :) Anyway, sure you can watch, Kevin.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Brian is lying guys. I'm just fatter than he is. Thanks for being diplomatic. It brightens my day. But the headlock thing is probably true.
smashfreakB.gif

svtguy

Established Member
Title Fight

Introducing in the oval blue corner.
5 foot 9 inches tall.
Weighing?- more that the other guy.
Wearing the red,white and blue trunks.
Originating from bloomington Mn.
TOMMY the dealmaker LIGHTNING.

V.S.

In the performance red corner.
5 foot 10 inches tall.
Weighting less than the other guy.
Wearing the John Deere yellow and green trunks.
Originating from winamingo Mn.
BRIAN the headlocker GROTH.

Gentlemen, I have emailed you your instructions. I want you guy's to keep it clean and obey my instructions at all times. This is a 12 round fight. There is a 3 knock down rule. Only the bell can save you in the last round. So, if their in no further questions.

LET'S GET IN ON!!!!!!!!!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Title Fight

Looks good Paul, except change that to "Wearing the New Holland Red and yellow trunks"

Brian

Originally posted by svtguy
Introducing in the oval blue corner.
5 foot 9 inches tall.
Weighing?- more that the other guy.
Wearing the red,white and blue trunks.
Originating from bloomington Mn.
TOMMY the dealmaker LIGHTNING.

V.S.

In the performance red corner.
5 foot 10 inches tall.
Weighting less than the other guy.
Wearing the John Deere yellow and green trunks.
Originating from winamingo Mn.
BRIAN the headlocker GROTH.

Gentlemen, I have emailed you your instructions. I want you guy's to keep it clean and obey my instructions at all times. This is a 12 round fight. There is a 3 knock down rule. Only the bell can save you in the last round. So, if their in no further questions.

LET'S GET IN ON!!!!!!!!!

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeJ
Brian,

That is exactly what happened to me. Except I went to TWS right after I got the ungrade. I only made 1 !/2 laps and the bearing exploded. I was one pissed off Texas. That nut needs to be torqued to 250 ft-lbs.
Sure glad you caught it before it caused real damage.

Joe,

If I end up buying my friend's Cobra R?, we'll need to hook up at some point soon, since I also live in Houston.

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a "knuckle"? No flames pls....

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M

Joe,

If I end up buying my friend's Cobra R?, we'll need to hook up at some point soon, since I also live in Houston.

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a "knuckle"? No flames pls....

Andy,
The knuckle we are referring to is the cast aluminum peice that houses the rear wheel bearing and hub. It is what the tie rod and rear suspension bolt to. There is a recall on 99 Cobra's and 00R's where this needs to be replaced.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread