Kenny Brown Subs Installed: First Impressions

cobra23

Established Member
I had the Kenny Brown extreme subs welded in today. I noticed the difference immediately. The car somehow feels a lot tighter with some of what I call "chassis sponginess" reduced.

Car feels noticeably more stable. I didn't go with the jacking rails and the matrix brace because I wanted to see what the difference would be with just the subs.

It took the mechanic about 2 hours and was $280 out the door.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yup, that sums it up for me - was yours done at Va Motorsports? That's where I had mine done. Refueled before returning to Richmond, at the Exxon station where the DC Sniper hit a few days later. Yikes.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Dude 280.00 for rails to be welded? Tops should be 75.00 but depending on what shop u go to.

Got some $$ for me :)

Stiffer the better.

My MM subs which I prepped the mechanic charged me $150.00. I ended up paying him $200.00 since it took over 3 hours and he worked hard with me to get them on right.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Nice clean welds are a must on my car. Scraping off the old paint in a professional fashion and only scraping it off where needed, welding clean properly placed beads and not making it look like a "hack at an el cheapo muffler shop" was practicing for experience is important to me. Price is secondary when it comes to quality. Hell, you spent over $30,000 for the car; what is an extra $100.00 for a permanent job well done that you will be truly satisfied with for the rest of the life of your car.
I went to a muffler shop where the guy quoted me $50.00 to weld on my Kenny Brown subframce connectors. I left and went two blocks down to see a guy I knew for many years who has a welding shop and does high quality work. He charged me $150.00 and did a real nice job. Bottom line, it was money well spent.

lifter213

Established Member
Yeah your right they did make a big difference. I payed $175 for the Subframes and the install :thumbsup:

j card

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, did you pull the computer out before welding on the chassis? I've heard people say that the computer could be damaged. Personally, I had the subs welded in my 91 with the computer in place and it was fine.

John

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn. Learn some thing new every day. So whats the difference between the Steeda Subs vs MM Subs? My 01Cobra had the Steeda & wasnt a perfect fit from what i was seeing.

So before i make the same mistake pls advise. :)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Here are some pics of my MM full length subs installed.
Front
attachment.php

Middle
attachment.php

Rear
attachment.php

The steeda subs have nothing on the rigidity and structural support of the MM full lenths subs.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I have the Kenny Brown Subs also. Like you I noticed an immediate stiffening of the chassis.

Tuesday the Matrix Braces and Jacking Rails go on. We'll see what difference they make.

kpinco

Established Member
toofast4u: Nice pics!! I just had my MM subs installed and got the car back today. The guy I used spend several hours making sure everything fit correctly and took his time welding it. I fell an AMAZING difference in my vert. Plus it is 22 pds lighter than the KB sub-frames. The guy who installed my MM sub frames is a Kenny Brown dealer. He said he will push the MM sub frames because they are a lot better. I also had the Steeda sway bar and Kenny Brown Goodrich stainless steel brake lines installed. The car feels GREAT!!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
2fast thanks for the pic's. Really differ from the Steeda which was just 1 tub from front to back. The Sub look stronger on the seat bolts as well.

Thanks for the time :)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
2fast thanks for the pic's. Really differ from the Steeda which was just 1 tub from front to back. The Sub look stronger on the seat bolts as well.

Thanks for the time :)

I don't like Steeda for several reasons one of them being their suspension components. I hope I can keep some from making the same mistakes as I did by sharing some knowledge I learned the hardway. :beer:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Id learned 2 things. Steeda didnt compare to what i saw in ur pic.
Just a tub to weld on the front & back.

2nd better go to a better shop for weld jobs.

Dont know what i would of done with out this Sit...thanks

Snoker

Established Member
I've had the KB subs, matrix brace and jacking rails on mine for about 6 months. Very happy with the increased stiffness in the body and have never experienced wheel hop to date.

Users who are viewing this thread