Kenney Bell lock-up

MysticSN95

Established Member
Can't use the search so. I was just wondering on everyone's thoughts on the Kenny Bell locking up. I have heard it before but thought it to be a freak thing. That is till my friend's lighting locked up. He was told that this is actually a frequent thing with their superchargers. And also that the whipple charger is offering a 20% off or something like that if you trade your KB in for a Whipple. I wanted a KB but kinda of scared now. What is everone's thoughts.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Did he have oil in it??

I've not heard of any issues like that with 03/04 Cobra blowers.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
I believe the Kenne Bell Autorotor is still the best engineered "positive displacement" compressor for our Cobras. Everything from the billet housing to the oversized rotor-bearings spell Factor of Safety. If the Kenne Bells are seizing up, I can assure you its not many compared to the number in circulation.

-pete:coolman:

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I've heard of one here locally, but he was running big boost, and apparently the blower go too hot running at the track without a lot of cool-down time. It was a 2.2L, and I doubt it is something that is common.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
I can only speak for the Lightning model, but there has been numerous lock ups from what I can tell. Mine has made a rattling sound since a week after I owned it. I tried to get it fixed, but they said it was this and that. Of course now it is out of warranty and will cost me personally. I'm not a big fan of KB. I would however try a Whipple and may consider the swap deal if I can.

Thanks Mike

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
I have know of 6 in the area, but if you call KB, they preach how they have NEVER had one go bad. One locked up pulling into the track Thursday night. Off of the main road, 20mph coast...BAM.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
i see, sell and install kenne bell's every week....

I PERSONALLY have never seen one go bad, but have heard RUMORS of it before. If there was an issue i can only see it being a oiling issue like lack of oil, too much oil in the case.....both of which can make a problem happen.....so in short make sure the oil level is correct!! hermann:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread