Kenne Bell / Procharger guys...please help

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Hey guys..newbie here,
I have a 98 cobra with the only mods being Bassani o/r X and Borla side-exhaust. ( 3.73 or 4.10's coming soon...not sure if 4.10's would be too low with a blower??)
I am having a hard time deciding between a Kenne Bell 1500 (6 lb.) with a boost-a-pump....and a Procharger (6 lb.) with a 2 core intercooler (not the self-contained one, I have heard about too many replaced seals) I will have the car custom tuned, dynoed, and chipped regardless of which one I go with.
This is my garage kept, weekend driven baby and the #1 factor is to keep my motor SAFE and detonation free....PERIOD. I was set on a procharger but the chrome Kenne Bell is sweet-looking as he**, alot easier to install, and I have heard it cant be beat for fun and instant boost on the street.
Unless I am mistaken, they both will add 40-50 % (or 90-100 h.p.) but which one would have the lower track times? The procharger is supposed to run the 1/4 on my car in 12.9 (stock w/3.73 and street tires). I dont know about the Kenne Bell.
Anyone running the Kenne Bell on a 96-98 SVT with some insight or track times.
My goal (eventually) is to have primarily a "corner carving street car " that can still lay down a 11.99 1/4 mile to whip some LT-1 ass.

Sorry for the 1 meeeeellion questions...ANY thoughts ???

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Torque will get you ET, HP gets you MPH. Now, as far as what you should get it comes down to what you want to do with it. Meaning if you are wanting to run at the track more than anything I would go with the Procharger due to the fact that once you are moving you'll stay in your powerband down the track. If you know you are going to be getting more street runs then go with the wider torque band producing KB. The KB won't produce as much HP out of the box as the Procharger(or at least shouldn't) but it will give a very nice flat torque curve which starts very early. The procharger will give you better hp and maybe even a better peak torque number but it will be much later in the RPM band. So just decide on what you are going to be doing with the car the majority of the time.

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Cool dude, thanks for the reply...
I will mostly be cruising around looking for LT-1s and Ricers to street race. (lets be honest...;-) ) Its not my daily driver, its garage-kept and daily polished.
The car will very occasionally see the 1/4 mile track, I would like to eventually get the car into the high 11's through professional tuning and aftermarket parts, I really dont want to go with more than 6-8 lbs. of boost...ever.
If I ever did get into sanctioned racing, it would probably be autocross or road racing ( which makes me think the Kenne Bell blower might do better...instant punch out of a corner )
I would go with 4.10's with the procharger, but with all that low end torque Im thinking 3.73's might be better with the K.B., or would 4.10's be okay with only 6 lbs of boost and some Nittos...I dunno...but nothing sucks worse than stomping the gas and going nowhere, I think I would rather sacrafice a little gear than have to play the "half-throttle in 1st and 2nd" game...what do the rest of yall' think ?
Thanks again for the help, bro.:beer:

Last edited:

Lee

Established Member
Yeller, I've understood that the 4.6 motors love the KB because it adds the torque that the 4.6 needs. The 5.0 motors love the centrifugal blowers because they need upper rpm power. That's why I'm considering maybe a Powerdyne for my 94 Cobra.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Sorry I do not have an opinion as to which charger, I am still going back and forth between Blown with 3:73's or N/A with 4:30's. I do have a question....how do you like your Borla side exhaust. I want to install full length headers, but cannot decide on side exhaust or rear exhaust. The side looks great, but I have heard a few negative comments on them. Also, are yours enclosed within the panel or exposed like the 2000 Cobra R? Like you, my vert is driven only on sunny weekends....sure like the yellow on this year of Cobra! :beer:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by 98 Yeller' SVT
Cool dude, thanks for the reply...
I will mostly be cruising around looking for LT-1s and Ricers to street race. (lets be honest...;-) ) Its not my daily driver, its garage-kept and daily polished.
The car will very occasionally see the 1/4 mile track, I would like to eventually get the car into the high 11's through professional tuning and aftermarket parts, I really dont want to go with more than 6-8 lbs. of boost...ever.
If I ever did get into sanctioned racing, it would probably be autocross or road racing ( which makes me think the Kenne Bell blower might do better...instant punch out of a corner )
I would go with 4.10's with the procharger, but with all that low end torque Im thinking 3.73's might be better with the K.B., or would 4.10's be okay with only 6 lbs of boost and some Nittos...I dunno...but nothing sucks worse than stomping the gas and going nowhere, I think I would rather sacrafice a little gear than have to play the "half-throttle in 1st and 2nd" game...what do the rest of yall' think ?
Thanks again for the help, bro.:beer:

If you want to try to get into the 11's I would go with the 4.10's with either one. With either blower you still need to get into your sweet RPM's to make real power so the sooner you get there the better. And I recommend that anyone that runs a blower to run DR's regardless. I ran a set of BFG KD's and they were sticky enough for about 2000 miles but after that they just didn't do it and I was only running 3.73's. But then I went with Nitto DR's and had reliable traction.

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
Go with the procharger and the 4:10's it is awesome....

Zo6, LS1, LT1< :burn: >ME :-D you get the idea...

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by Yell98CobraVert
Sorry I do not have an opinion as to which charger, I am still going back and forth between Blown with 3:73's or N/A with 4:30's. I do have a question....how do you like your Borla side exhaust. I want to install full length headers, but cannot decide on side exhaust or rear exhaust. The side looks great, but I have heard a few negative comments on them. Also, are yours enclosed within the panel or exposed like the 2000 Cobra R? Like you, my vert is driven only on sunny weekends....sure like the yellow on this year of Cobra! :beer:

Mine are the SVO/Borla enclosed ones, I think they are the prettiest.

To be honest, they are sitting in my living room, along w/ the o/r X and I am waiting on the ole' tax refund check to have them painted. But dont worry, as soon as they are installed Ill be so pumped I will be posting results everywhere:rolling:

And yes, in my opinion , chrome yellow is the coolest color fomoco has ever made...Ill guarantee my car would get more looks than a brand new Stang.....:beer:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by 1slosnake
Go with the procharger and the 4:10's it is awesome....

Zo6, LS1, LT1< :burn: >ME :-D you get the idea...

I know dude..thats what my original intentions were, but..

1. That chromed K/B looks SWEEEEEET on top of the 4.6
2. I would truthfully rarely see a dragstrip (maybe a road course)
3. 4.6 needs bottom end bad, every since my 86 GT died I have missed that low end grunt.
4. I really think that the 6# 2 core procharger may have the 6# Kenne Bell by like 20-30 hp at best (easy to make up)...I could be wrong, whadda yall' think?

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
It looks like you should go with the KB...I too think it looks awesome and if you're gonna be road racin'...thats the way to go...have you given any thought to a vortech with aftercooler?

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeDriver97
It looks like you should go with the KB...I too think it looks awesome and if you're gonna be road racin'...thats the way to go...have you given any thought to a vortech with aftercooler?

Nah....IF I were to go centrifugal I'm pretty sure I'd want a Procharger.

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
If you are just looking for more around town punch then you should just go ahead and purchase the Kenne Bell, The procharger is capable of making more power but it is all top end hp, tq isn't to bad but it is nothing like instant boost. I would say go ahead with the KB and if you do please tell me how you like it because originally that is what I was going to get but I drag race alot and decided on the Centrifugal Blower.
Later,
Ross

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Will do Ross..
Does ANYONE out ther have any 1/4 mi. times for a 6# K/B blown 96-98 Cobra...Im thinking I should be able to get into the 12's (barely) with 3.73's and Nittos.
Does anyone have a guess ???:shrug:
I seem to be having trouble finding other guys running this combo...

Intercooled98

Established Member
My 2 cents....

I have the procharger P1sc/3 core intercooler and 4.10's and TKO. It has last a year so far with no problems (knocks on wood). As far as low end power.....My hits about 360 rwtq @ about 3600 rpm. It hits 300 rwtq @ 2400 rpms. That is plenty of low end tq. I will give you more numbers and a dyno sheet Later. Tom, I'm getting the Univer installed. I pegged the stock MAF @ 5600.
Don't be scared of the gears. I ride around @ 60 in 5th right around 2200 rpm (keep in mind the gears in a TKO are different than a T-45). This is my daily driver! I have a couple of other little things on mine too. It just depends on your budget and what you want to do later with the car. Remember this...Shiney stuff gets hotter than plain. Go chrome if you want show, and go plain if you want power.

I hope this helps
Shane

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by Intercooled98
My 2 cents....

Go chrome if you want show, and go plain if you want power.

I hope this helps
Shane

Really..I was never aware that there was really a difference, does the chrome change colors or anything like that or do you mean it just doesnt dissipate heat as well. Surely its not that much of a temp. difference ?????:shrug:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Really..I was never aware that there was really a difference, does the chrome change colors or anything like that or do you mean it just doesnt dissipate heat as well. Surely its not that much of a temp. difference ?????:shrug:

Chrome soaks up heat from the engine.

Yell98CobraVert

Established Member
Mine are the SVO/Borla enclosed ones, I think they are the prettiest.

To be honest, they are sitting in my living room, along w/ the o/r X and I am waiting on the ole' tax refund check to have them painted. But dont worry, as soon as they are installed Ill be so pumped I will be posting results everywhere:rolling:

And yes, in my opinion , chrome yellow is the coolest color fomoco has ever made...Ill guarantee my car would get more looks than a brand new Stang.....:beer:

You might want to check a couple other svt forums before you go with the gears.... I find the majority going with the 4:10's. Have heard of guys wishing they had gone with the 4:10's instead of the 3:73's, but have never heard anyone say they wished they had not gone with the 4:10' vs. the 3:73's (those with blown engines. For N/A 4:30's. I'll be waiting for your comments on the side exhaust. If you do not mind, send those comments directly to me as some days I am not able to check out this forum Thanks!:beer: :beer: :beer:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Originally posted by Yell98CobraVert
I'll be waiting for your comments on the side exhaust. If you do not mind, send those comments directly to me as some days I am not able to check out this forum Thanks!:beer: :beer: :beer: [/B]
Cool, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread