Kenne Bell or Twin Turbo

harrij081266

Established Member
I am at a loss :??: with all of the reading I am doing here. The KB system will run me about $6,300 fully installed, but I read a post where a guy changed from his KB within four months to upgrade to a Twin Turbo System. This isn't something I want to do. Can anyone provide me with pros and cons of the KB vs. a TT system (maintenance problems, durability, etc). And who would you recommend for the TT if that is your recommendation? I have recently come across Hellion's website, but don't know of any other. Additionally, if you have a TT would you give me some idea of the expense to get the system...

Thanks for the advice in advance!

slo-GT

Established Member
Its the basic S/C vs. Turbo debate.....KB=instant power great for out of the hole and less maintenance than the TT system from what I've heard. TT takes time to build up but in most cases makes more horsepower. I've seen many KB's in the 650rwhp range.....but very few with more. On the other hand you see lots of TT cobras making 700 or 800+ rwhp.

Last edited:

03punisher

SENDING STEEL DOWN RANGE
Established Member
If i could do it all over again I'd go TT, saving up to go TT right now. KB is awesome dont get me wrong but once you max your KB its almost inposssible to go further, on the underhand you could always go with a bigger turbo, if you get tired of what your running at the time.

fastmustang70

Established Member
Well i had a kenn bell 2.4 made 680 to the wheels with 26psi car went 10.20 at full weight now am putting on a protrubokit single kit with a 78gts trubo so we will have to see if the car picks up so i can only tell you that a kenne bell does go fast thanks Ron

harrij081266

Established Member
Again, I really appreciate the feedback. I had my heart set on the KB, but when I saw some of the races between a KB and TT on YouTube, there was no doubt which system was the strongest.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
fastmustang70 said:
Well i had a kenn bell 2.4 made 680 to the wheels with 26psi car went 10.20 at full weight now am putting on a protrubokit single kit with a 78gts trubo so we will have to see if the car picks up so i can only tell you that a kenne bell does go fast thanks Ron
What was your mph?

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
Well, I have also looked into both twin screw and turbo. The conclusion I came to is this: It would cost approx. 12-14k to do a turbo kit with install and tune, supporting mods...etc. It would cost around 6-7k for the twin screw with supporting mods and install. I know the turbo kit comes with k-member etc., and the twin screw kit does not.....but still, that's a HUGE price difference. Do you want to exceed 650 rwhp? If not, go twin screw. If you do, and you want to keep the car for a long time, invest in the turbo kit. Either way, you will not be sorry. .....Oh, and by the way, my Whipple 2.3 is going on as we speak. :thumbsup:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
harrij081266 said:
but when I saw some of the races between a KB and TT on YouTube, there was no doubt which system was the strongest.

that same race is what made me go TT. I have mixed feelings right now because there are still issues that I need to clear up to make it strong and up the boost (oil blow-by for example). I have the HP 57mm kit and nothing beats the sleeper-factor. NO ONE at car shows/drive-ins know what I have. I painted the blow-off valves and intercooler black so they blend in with the radiator and all my stock tubing for the shaker is still there. I am currently at the $15k mark for the build (built motor, turbo kit, other crap). If and when I ever get tired of this, I'm going Whipple.

I hope that jumbo I just typed helped you a little :beer:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
harrij081266 said:
I am at a loss :??: with all of the reading I am doing here. The KB system will run me about $6,300 fully installed, but I read a post where a guy changed from his KB within four months to upgrade to a Twin Turbo System. This isn't something I want to do. Can anyone provide me with pros and cons of the KB vs. a TT system (maintenance problems, durability, etc). And who would you recommend for the TT if that is your recommendation? I have recently come across Hellion's website, but don't know of any other. Additionally, if you have a TT would you give me some idea of the expense to get the system...

Thanks for the advice in advance!

If you want big #'s go big twin screw.....the whipple 3.4 or kb 2.8 make HUGE numbers for much cheaper then turbos.......no doubt turbos are badass and if if you have the money go that way BUT if money is a concern i say BIG twin screw......my 2cents

hotrodstang

Established Member
speedofsound said:
that same race is what made me go TT. I have mixed feelings right now because there are still issues that I need to clear up to make it strong and up the boost (oil blow-by for example). I have the HP 57mm kit and nothing beats the sleeper-factor. NO ONE at car shows/drive-ins know what I have. I painted the blow-off valves and intercooler black so they blend in with the radiator and all my stock tubing for the shaker is still there. I am currently at the $15k mark for the build (built motor, turbo kit, other crap). If and when I ever get tired of this, I'm going Whipple.

I have done both! THe TT makes the most HP for sure but I had to spray it to got rid of turbo lag ! More maintance with turbos. I have tha big whipple 3.3 on my new Shelby and I like it the best. If you do thr twins I recommend a electronic boost controller for sure-Greddy makes a nice one!:burnout:

bchris289

Established Member
speedofsound said:

Link?

GodStang

Established Member
Ok first off do you want to keep the stock engine? With aftermarket Twin screws many people are over 700rwhp and I am hoping to get near 800rwhp with my setup. My blower was $4K and it is polished. I thought about going with HPP twin turbo kit to get into the 1000rwhp stage but it would be around $15K-$20K for the setup. Really how much do you want to spend? Another reason I chose TS over T/TT was I HATE LAG!!

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Last edited:

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
well a kb for my car is 6,800

a tt for my car is 6,800

right off the bat i will need built engine for the tt. but with smaller pullies also need it with the kb

so i mise well go tt

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
2001SVTsnake said:
well a kb for my car is 6,800

a tt for my car is 6,800

right off the bat i will need built engine for the tt. but with smaller pullies also need it with the kb

so i mise well go tt

don't forget labor for the TT if you aren't installing it yourself. I'm guessing they'd charge more for a TT kit than a twinscrew.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
GodStang said:
Really how much do you want to spend? Another reason I chose TS over T/TT was I HATE LAG!!
This is a video showing how much lag my little 2v has trying to spool up two 60mm turbos with .63 exhaust housings. I have a C4 transmission with a really nice Neal Chance converter. The car has made 623rwhp with only 18psi.
th_May25_0001.jpg

yan88gt

Established Member
You didn't say what was your HP goal, and what you want to do with your car. If you want max HP turbo all the way and don't bother with spool up. Most KB cobra's i know cannot have traction under 50 mph so you should not worry with spool up. The turbo set up will not need big cam and ported heads to make big HP. Most KB cobra's over 700 rwhp have ported heads and/or cams so figure that in the total cost. It also depend on your budget, there's so many little parts needed for a turbo setup. My 5.0 turbo car was a PITA to built and there's like 2X more space with a 5.0 compare to a modular. But damn i missed that open downpipe turbo sound.

blownaltered

Established Member
do the 3.4 whipple, that will put you over 700 hp and be more reliable, there is more than one guy in my area with turbos and they never come out because they are always broke. The supercharged guys come out every weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread