Kenne Bell oil spray

stangin

Established Member
KB Oil Spray

The fix looks like heck lol, not too bad, but not nearly as nice as Herman's kit, but works fine. The first attempt was too small of a filter and seemed to trap a little oil in the bottom that could not drain back due to the design of the filter, you can barely see a little oil in bottom. The first attempt had just a little bit of seepage at 21 lbs of boost, just enough you had to occasionally wipe down with a rag now and then. The second fix has no leaks at all, but is a larger and different design filter. Wonder if KB would pay me for my fix lol..

boostin'03

Established Member
Hey do you havea P/N for that filter? Also where did you get the 90 degree fitting to go into the side on the KB? I had 2 of the 90 fittings come in my kit but neither one was the right size:shrug:

hmwave

Established Member
Can't believe folks are spending over $4000 on a blower and then having to spend more to stop it spraying oil all over the damn place.

Surely KB should fix it or ship an oil catch kit with it.

stangin

Established Member
KB Oil Spray Fix

Originally posted by boostin'03
Hey do you havea P/N for that filter? Also where did you get the 90 degree fitting to go into the side on the KB? I had 2 of the 90 fittings come in my kit but neither one was the right size:shrug:

Good point, I should have thought of that.. let me see if I still have the box the fuel filter came in.. if so I will post the part number. If not a simple look on the wall where the fuel filters are hanging and you will see a fuel filter that should work, just look for the smallest diameter fuel inlet/outlet.

The 90 degree fittings came with the KB kit.. the cheezy fender vent kit. I would think if the fittings didnt fit KB should send you ones that will. They look like they wont, but the threaded part is what matters. I suppose if you dont want to contact KB a trip to Lowes or Home Depot with a plug that you remove or the actual vent peice that came in the snout of the KB should have the correct thread, just try threading it in a piece at Lowes to find out the thread, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
Can't believe folks are spending over $4000 on a blower and then having to spend more to stop it spraying oil all over the damn place.

I dont consider a $5 dollar fix that big of a deal.. If you want something that looks better more like OEM then Herman's fix is the way to go, but a little pricey IMO.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
KB had to realize that the blower shot oil out when they made it. Is there a point behind the KB doing that? I dont understand a company producing a product with such a serious problem, unless the oil shooting out has a purpose?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
KB had to realize that the blower shot oil out when they made it. Is there a point behind the KB doing that? I dont understand a company producing a product with such a serious problem, unless the oil shooting out has a purpose?

I don't understand that either... IMO, that's a liability issue waiting to happen. I think they shipped out something that wasn't completely engineered or thought out thoroughly. Instead, they shipped out a beta product. If I bought a TV from Sony and it exploded in my face, cutting me all up, you know damm well there's going to be a lawsuit. Same thing applies to KB and their oil-spraying blower (assuming I didn't know about the HBH kit and the oil-spraying problem until it's too late on the road). Like I said, that's all my opinion.

Last edited:

Interloper

Established Member
Danger

Originally posted by coleman
racerat, i don't mean to offend by always taking the opposite viewpoint here, but i checked my level this morning and it was only slightly below where it needed to be.

if my KB leaked that much oil all the time, i should be bone dry long ago. btw, i've put on well over 500 miles since the KB install.

but if a few hundred bucks is worth your peace of mind, go get one!
i'd buy one if it weren't that expensive, but i guess i'll just have to bide my time and watch my fluid level. i do need to be checking under the hood periodically anyway...

Seriously though... if some arse spooged up a film of oil and dumped all the way down the track where the tires run and I ran my beast down that track after and couldn't hook up... keep it straight etc... I would fawking freak on the bastard that dumped it. Hell I get pissed when I hit oil on the road and sprays up the side of my car.

Interloper.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79

I believe we are spinning them faster then any application KB had used them before. Stock cars with stock internals can't hold 15+ psi of boost they will explode.

fryingricecobra

Crappyservice=Nocustomers
Established Member
Kb had to have tested it at 17psi and above on the 03's during develop.

If they say they didn't they are full of it. Why would they offer up to 21 pounds if they hadn't tested it?

I think they rushed it onto the market and hoped there wouldn't be backlash. Doesn't seem like theres too much. People are still buying them. I just ordered mine even though I said I wouldn't.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am certain they ran it up to 21 psi. They were testing on Randy's car and that is what the article and a lot of information was based on pre-release. I am just saying that the unit is the same unit basically that every other application uses so if we are blowing oil due to spinning it faster then all of those then that is the out come. Just an FYI, but the installation book specifically says that changing the pulley from the stock 4" pulley which is 9# voids the warranty. They have since said that as long as the unit is not spun faster then 18K rpm which is 21# then the warranty is still valid. I know of several running much higher then that, but Pete's old car did lock-up the KB. I think he was running over 30#, but that might have also been due to other issues like a lack of oil in the system and maintenance by the guy who bought it.

All I know I am running 17# and my drivability is better then it was stock and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
if you want the oil spray kit, kb tb, and larger injectors with harnesses you are looking at almost 6k.

btw, they aren't chrome. They are polished. Not trying to flame.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
LOL thanks. Hey-I should of been flamed for that one. Didnt even notice I said that. Wow still that much though? I thought they came down in price?

coleman

Established Member
i need *something* quick ... i'm running 20# of boost -- but not on purpose!

... boy is it fun :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Jimmylh

Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave

I agree. I kinda wanted one until I read about problems with the oil spraying out. If I spend that kind of money I don't feel I should have to re-engineer the dang thing. I guess I'll just go with the pulley, chip setup on mine in a year or so. Also, I am waiting to see if modded cars are going to have any head gasket issues. With the high boost people or running I wonder if they will start failing in time.

Users who are viewing this thread