Kenne Bell Guys

JNY XXX

Kenne Bell Owners,

I'm looking into getting a KB, and I had some questions:

1) In addition to the KB, what other upgrades need to go into the car?

2) If you don't mind answering, how much can I expect to pay, out the door for everything, should I buy everything new?

3) Now after having a KB, would you ever recommend that someone not get one, and, if so, why?

4) Are any of you running nitrous with your KB, and, if so, what's that been like?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

FYI: My mods include a pulley, chip, CAI, catback, and I'm running a 50-shot of spray. Not sure any of this matters to address the above questions, but just wanted to let you know.

John

stangin

Established Member
knowing what I know now, would I have gone KB again.. probably not. Honestly I would have gone with the 2.8 upper, a 6 lb lower and over spun the Eaton a little, the usual bolt ons, a good chip/tune and a splash of race fuel with the combo at each fill up and just had a blast with it.

Some people have good luck with getting the KB tuned properly, myself and many others have not had that kind of luck - in fact a tuning nightmare, we get good numbers, but not what other people get or what we think it should get to justify the cost or the A/F slightly off etc.. I have a box -o- tunes and chips lol, before I finally went with the SCT. Another thing is the actual cost.. I am embarrased to admit how much I am into this Cobra, lets just say I am getting close to the actual purchase price of the Car. Dont get me wrong, I love the Cobra, it is just expensive to do a KB correctly.. all the upgrades that should go with it. One thing leads to another, tune after tune, upgrade after upgrade.. the mods never end. Then after I got the KB tuned right about where I wanted it, the KB power level I was at killed the crappy pistons we have in our Cobras so now I am going with the VT 324 stroker engine, ported and polished heads - with upgraded valves, stage II crower cams, 26 spline input shaft/clutch upgrade etc.. Help.. I am drowing in mods!

Just be careful, the more power you make the quicker your pistons are going to go bad and gall.. ford ran the clearances too tight and when the pistons heat up there is no where for them to expand in the bore so they start scuffing the cyl walls and get scored. Good luck!

COBADASP

Established Member
Well I am hear to say that the KB is the only way to go.

Far as additional mods I myself am running B/x mid lengths with xpipe C&L 90mm mass air and cool intake and a 90 mm idler pulley. I am using the KB switch that came with the kit. I have had a Diablo Delta chip in the car and had no problems either I have never had to send my chip to be tuned from the day it came. I am running 20 psi of boost but started at 15 psi. When I changed to 19 psi I finally had to change my sparkplugs from stock to some Denso's but the injectors are still stock and I do not run the BAP ( Boost a Pump) I am of the opinion that the tunning problems are caused by a bunch of amatuers trying to be computer engineers or make a name for their shop at the expense of others.

Recomendation absolutlely I think it is worth every penny. The car has a pull that just won't quit it just keeps going. I also like it because the pulley changes are easy and the sound at WOT is alot quiter, it doesn't yell out to COPS hey I am speeding over here like the Eaton does when it is over spun.

I will never run that cheating gas anybody can make a fast car with cheater gas. Even the imports..

JWC

Established Member
I have the KB with 15 lb. pulley, KB big oval TB, KB BAP, KB switch chip, Bassani x w/cats, Flow CB, 12" K & N, and my car just dynoed at 535 hp and 475 ft. lb torque after an hour dive to the dyno in 95* heat with NO cool down. The KB chip is the one they send with the super charger and the car runs, drives and idles better than stock. I don't know what the SC kit cost it was a XMas gift from my wife. I would do it again.... well if she didn't for me. Oh before the KB I had the usual 2.80 pulley chip etc. no comparison.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
have any of you had the oil problem mentioned but other KB owners? do you use an oil spray kit to prevent it if you do?

KB doesnt admit to the problem, so of course they dont admit to a fix, but im curious if its really even a problem.

hardcore35th

Established Member
Originally posted by JWC
I have the KB with 15 lb. pulley, KB big oval TB, KB BAP, KB switch chip, Bassani x w/cats, Flow CB, 12" K & N, and my car just dynoed at 535 hp and 475 ft. lb torque after an hour dive to the dyno in 95* heat with NO cool down. The KB chip is the one they send with the super charger and the car runs, drives and idles better than stock. I don't know what the SC kit cost it was a XMas gift from my wife. I would do it again.... well if she didn't for me. Oh before the KB I had the usual 2.80 pulley chip etc. no comparison.
Your wife is so awesome! :beer:

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
I have the HBH oil spray kit since I had the spray problem. The new snouts are now finished and are shipping on the new blowers.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Venomss
Kenne Bell Owners,

I'm looking into getting a KB, and I had some questions:

1) In addition to the KB, what other upgrades need to go into the car?

if you plan on running any boost address cooling by adding the following.

Head cooling mod
larger radiator
higher capicty oil pan

Then you need to beef up the tranny with a better clutch and 26 spline input shaft.

Then you need to address our shitty pistons by at least replacing them.

Then you need at least some decent half shafts and KJ's brace.

Also, larger injectors and a maf (or MJ's extender) so you can properly meter air.

cost depends on how much you do yourself but it wont be cheap. The above is what I recommend at a MINIMUM. but it wont be cheap. You can pay to beef things up now and do it right from the start or I can gurantee you will be doing it later.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
The KB...

I love my KB!

OK, I went with the KB BAP & 55# injectors right off the bat. That along with a custom tune. I started with 17psi and now I'm running the 19psi pulley. I just had my chip reburned for the third time, but thats all part of dialing in a high HP car.

Alright, at over 600hp I dont expect things to last forever. I still have the stock clutch, stock input shaft, & stock half-shafts. I dont go to the track much, but I want to get some good times on the car. I know the clutch, input shaft, & half-shaft swap is coming.

I also dont beat on my car everytime I'm in it. I drive my car everyday - putting about 400 miles a week on the clock.

Oil spray - yes that happens. I have the HBH kit on my car and I think it looks good. KB has fixed the problem with the oil spray though with a new snout design.

Before the KB, I had your basic CAI, chip/pulley, cat-back combo. The car made 458/490 and went 11.71@122. My KB combo makes the way my car felt before like driving a 4 banger Hyndai! The car is an animal - it just pulls & pulls!!! You will be very happy with the power. My drivability is just like stock and unless your on it you cant even tell it has the power it does. Before I did the KB swap I added a Afco HE and a Magnaflow catted X.

When I upgraded to my KB this is what I bought along with it:

KB, KB pulley tool, some extra size pulleys, Accufab TB, 55# injectors, KB BAP, HBH kit, custom Diablo chip, BF 4pc idlers, new plugs, & fuel pressure & boost gauges.....

I'd say I have about....GULP!!.....$5,700 invested in the swap. That does not include install - I did that myself.

Like I said earlier I know the clutch, input shaft, & half-shafts are coming - I will upgrade them. And I know all about "the pistons are crap" deal, but I'll cross that road when (if) it gets here. You cant expect a stock engine to last at high HP levels forever. You play and eventually you will have to pay.

Tips - Dont lean the car out and be dont be too aggressive on the tune - or run good gas. No extended high speed runs...I'm not a highway racer - no extended 130, 140, 150 runs for me...just 1/4 mile bursts. IMO if you go 15psi or above DO NOT think about using the stock fuel system with no upgrades. Go with the KB BAP or larger pumps.

Also, you might want to look into a new MAF sensor. I'm sure you heard of the whole "pegging your meter" thing. Well, that does happen. If you have a good tuner he can tune around it but its a bandaid fix. Weather will affect your A/F and with cooler air you could run lean. I currently havent upgraded my MAF meter, but I'm planning to get a new SCT meter and have my car tuned by a skilled tuner with the SCT software. That should be coming in about 1 week. I want to be safe.

Alright enough rambling. I'm a HAPPY KB owner and would do it again!! Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Re: The KB...

Originally posted by Need4Speed03
I love my KB!
Dont get me wrong I love the KB too, the rest of the car just cant handle it :)

Alright, at over 600hp I dont expect things to last forever. I still have the stock clutch, stock input shaft, & stock half-shafts. I dont go to the track much, but I want to get some good times on the car. I know the clutch, input shaft, & half-shaft swap is coming.
I was running all stock components myself and while you may not notice an immediate and catastrophic failure, all the little things take its toll. For example I suffered piston AND head damage. I never ran slicks, just the stock F1's so my input shaft held, but I could feel clutch slipping.

Also, when I pulled the stock half shafts out the splines on the outboard stubs looked like breaking waves. There didnt come to nice peaks but the top edges were starting to fold over. symetrical

NeverEnoughHP

Established Member
I honestly think the HBH oil spray kit looks awesome with the braided hoses. If I had that I wouldnt even get the new snout.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Re: Re: The KB...

Originally posted by Shadowgray03
For example I suffered piston AND head damage.

IMHO...Your car definantly ran lean. Melted heads are from lack of fuel. Piston damage is from detonating. I think high HP alone is not the culpret.

I think tuners tuning around the pegging meter is the problem with alot of engine failures...that, along with a too aggressive tune and too much boost for 93 pump gas. Its possible also to have a batch of bad gas from the pump.

I'm not saying the stock pistons can last forever...I'm just saying some other variables may have helped them fail.

NeverEnoughHP

Established Member
Shadow I completely agree with you but at the same point in time everybody knows it going in. If ya got enough balls to do the KB swap your modding probably won't end there. I give all you explorers of the aftermarket props and wish the best of luck. KB definantly seems like a good way to go, and you definantly won't stop there. Sooner than later if ya melt a piston though. Shadow are you going VT?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by NeverEnoughHP
Shadow I completely agree with you but at the same point in time everybody knows it going in. If ya got enough balls to do the KB swap your modding probably won't end there. I give all you explorers of the aftermarket props and wish the best of luck. KB definantly seems like a good way to go, and you definantly won't stop there. Sooner than later if ya melt a piston though. Shadow are you going VT?
hehe, since you mention it I already have the VT billit stroker sitting, upped compression to 9.2:1 with all the billit gears, trigger wheel. Crower stage 2 cams with springs and retainers, Fluidyne radiator, evans coolant, Pro-M 95mm MAF, #60 injectors, McLeod SFI bellhousing, bassani mid headers, spec 3 clutch and alum flywheel and liberty 26 spline input shaft.

While I was waiting for the stroker to be built I did Nicks delrin control arm and diff bushings, MM poly IRS bushings, MJ's diff brace, DSS lvl 5 half shafts, H&R supersport springs and caster camber plates.

Needless to say this was not cheap :(

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: The KB...

IMHO...Your car definantly ran lean. Melted heads are from lack of fuel. Piston damage is from detonating. I think high HP alone is not the culpret.
I agree and one reason I recommended properly sized injectors so you dont have to crank up fuel pressure and a MAF that can meter needed air. The cooling mods I mentioned, are IMHO, required and will help reduce damage if you do run lean by better addressing the additional heat associated with it.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
hehe, since you mention it I already have the VT billit stroker sitting, upped compression to 9.2:1 with all the billit gears, trigger wheel. Crower stage 2 cams with springs and retainers, Fluidyne radiator, evans coolant, Pro-M 95mm MAF, #60 injectors, McLeod SFI bellhousing, bassani mid headers, spec 3 clutch and alum flywheel and liberty 26 spline input shaft.

While I was waiting for the stroker to be built I did Nicks delrin control arm and diff bushings, MM poly IRS bushings, MJ's diff brace, DSS lvl 5 half shafts, H&R supersport springs and caster camber plates.

Needless to say this was not cheap :(

Shadowgray03 - Your car is going to be a complete ANIMAL when completed! I had a question for you...

How did the install of the DSS LVL 5 half shafts go? Where did you buy them from?

Also, where did you get your clutch, flywheel, & input shaft?

Thanks & Keep us posted on your cars progress!

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Shadowgray03 - Your car is going to be a complete ANIMAL when completed! I had a question for you...

How did the install of the DSS LVL 5 half shafts go? Where did you buy them from?

Also, where did you get your clutch, flywheel, & input shaft?

Thanks & Keep us posted on your cars progress!
I had a little trouble getting the halfshafts out of the hubs due to the folding of the splines I mentioned above. I ruined 2x autozone pullers trying and I finally just brough the shafts, with knuckle attached to my friends shop and we punched em out with an air hammer.

I did the IRS subframe bushings, control arm bushings, diff bushings and MJ's brace, half shafts and rear springs all at the same time. It was a huge project, very time consuming, but it was all done on the floor of my garage with simple hand tools and some guidance from Brian (TooFast4u)

I got the level 5's right from DSS, but I do know someone selling a brand new set and can prolly save you a little, if interested, shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with him. They list for like $1599 and good to 900rwhp.

The input shaft I got from liberty transmission, dont have number handy, sorry, but a search here should pull it up, like $250 shipped.

The clutch and flywheel I got from my friend who runs alocal mustang shop (dbperformance.biz). I was having a hard time deciding on what clutch to go with and ended up going spec because my friend has a very solid relationship with them and if problems should arise he should be able to work with them on resolving any issues.

Im currently working on my friends new site and we have all sorts of pics of the buildup so when I get the site ready to go I will be sharing that with everyone here and hopefully some vids as well. Season is almost over here but hopefully get some vids of it on the dyno if nothing else.

P.S. In addition to the list of goodies above im also going with a KB 8.25" lower to gain back some boost lost to the extra volume of stroker and stage 2 cams.

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I cant seem to get any information about this new snout for KB, where are you getting that information from?

How is one to tell whether your getting the old snout or new snout before installing it?

Seriously curious because im at the point where im deciding on kb or whipple so any help is appreciated, thanks.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
I cant seem to get any information about this new snout for KB, where are you getting that information from?

How is one to tell whether your getting the old snout or new snout before installing it?

Seriously curious because im at the point where im deciding on kb or whipple so any help is appreciated, thanks.
I remember reading about the snout as well, but for the life of me cant remember where I saw the post. I think those of us with older style snout can buy new one for $300.

Users who are viewing this thread