Kenne Bell 2.4L Kit Info Released

stangfreak

Established Member
the only way to see the potential of this blower is if kenne bell does the same test as with the first blower. test it out at every boost level

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by jimh
A turbo kit will make more power but will be 2x the price. There's a guy with a MachI tt setup making well over 500hp at 8psi. He just added the turbo kit. www.inductionconcepts.com Sweet setup if you have the $$$

just from reading that guys ad, and the "cost" of the kit. I would never buy anything from there. Come on. he is saying to go sell your stock blower assembly for $3000 so you can pay for his $8000 turbo kit! Yea looks nice and all, but how many more are we gonna see before the place ends up like TDC or Incon.

Jagged Edge

Established Member
Originally posted by LTHL PSI
Well I think its the HP level we have to look at, so if we get 600+rwhp on 19psi, I cant even imagine what gains we can get at 30psi. I think people are going to start to see that our limit is low 700rwhp and thats pushing it, and i'm talking for your average car not a trailor queen.

At 700+ rwhp you do own a trailer queen.
JE

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
A turbo kit will make more power but will be 2x the price. There's a guy with a MachI tt setup making well over 500hp at 8psi. He just added the turbo kit. www.inductionconcepts.com Sweet setup if you have the $$$
I dont need the power that bad, but if I remember correctly one thing that sets that kit apart is the electronics. Lets face it, once we get into the 700-800 rwhp range we are going to run into drivability issues. These issues will arise no matter what power adder you use. In order to overcome the cylinder pressures and deliver the fuel needed we need bigger injectors. Adding these injectors(#70+ or so) can leave us with idle and low RPM issues since there isnt enough overhead at its lowest duty cycle you end up having to crank up the idle etc. The alternative, something induction concepts seems to have addressed, is running dual smaller injectors. You run off one injector and retain low RPM drivability and when you romp on it you have the added flow of the second injector.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
indeed it was quite an oversimplification.

Yes, and no. The engine's ability to use the air is a big factor. With the blower making 17psi at a particular CFM flow rate for the engine's intake. The 2.4 can maintain 17psi at a 9% higher flow. Using the same engine, because the 2.4 flows more air it will be at 17psi at a lower blower speed than the 2.2. You may gain some extra hp because the engine doesn't have to work to spin the blower as fast, but at the same time the parts are bigger so there is more weight. So it may cancel out. The real difference comes at the higher psi where the 2.2 becomes inefficient because you have to spin it so fast to maintain the higher boost as the engine is swallowing what the blower is putting out. I think this would really show up on a cammed motor that breathes that much better at the higher rpms.

jasil

Established Member
Yes, and no. The engine's ability to use the air is a big factor. With the blower making 17psi at a particular CFM flow rate for the engine's intake. The 2.4 can maintain 17psi at a 9% higher flow. Using the same engine, because the 2.4 flows more air it will be at 17psi at a lower blower speed than the 2.2. You may gain some extra hp because the engine doesn't have to work to spin the blower as fast, but at the same time the parts are bigger so there is more weight. So it may cancel out. The real difference comes at the higher psi where the 2.2 becomes inefficient because you have to spin it so fast to maintain the higher boost as the engine is swallowing what the blower is putting out. I think this would really show up on a cammed motor that breathes that much better at the higher rpms.

That's true and will probably prove true with how small the difference is in flow between the two blowers.

Previously owning a supra if you run 18 psi with twins and 18 psi with a T-88H the difference is about 200rwhp. Same thing if you take a Eaton at 18 and a Whipple/KB at 18 you'll see 75-100rwhp more.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
If you look at the specs on these engines, the intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time for a moment.{according to Sean Hylands new book}
That in itself isnt optimum for a blown engine I wouldnt think.
Just adding a set of good cams should not only help your power, but your level of boost as well. I personally have never been inside a 03/04 car, but we have been earlier models. the cams helped out alot in our 96 Car, but we had so much pot work, we were a little lower on boost anyway.
I would be curious to see a pressure comparison on a before and after cammed car.
Just thinking out loud here..
Lin

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by jasil
That's true and will probably prove true with how small the difference is in flow between the two blowers.

Previously owning a supra if you run 18 psi with twins and 18 psi with a T-88H the difference is about 200rwhp. Same thing if you take a Eaton at 18 and a Whipple/KB at 18 you'll see 75-100rwhp more.

Agreed. The difference is comeing from the efficiency of the compressors. At 18psi the eaton is out of its efficiency range, same with the twins. But I don't think you'll see any real difference betweem the 2.2 KB or 2.3 Whipple and the 2.4 KB. At 18 psi they are all still compressing efficiently.

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by orange2004cobra
If you look at the specs on these engines, the intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time for a moment.{according to Sean Hylands new book}
That in itself isnt optimum for a blown engine I wouldnt think.
Just adding a set of good cams should not only help your power, but your level of boost as well. I personally have never been inside a 03/04 car, but we have been earlier models. the cams helped out alot in our 96 Car, but we had so much pot work, we were a little lower on boost anyway.
I would be curious to see a pressure comparison on a before and after cammed car.
Just thinking out loud here..
Lin

I think even a boosted car can take advantage of the extra scavenging by having a little valve overlap. Instead of the exhaust pulse helping to pull the intake charge in, the intake charge could help push a little extra exhaust out. Maybe...

There's a guy around here with a Lightning that's got cams in it. That thing has some overlap, sounds great. But it still runs like a killer. I can't wait to see the new times on that thing!

jim

Users who are viewing this thread