Kenne Bell 2.1L

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
OK so.. I was in the market for a single turbo system, but after really planning it out, I've given up that route, just too much of an ass pain really. Also I heard they cut down on your exhaust sound, that doesnt sell me at all, considering half the reason I love my cobra is for her sound.

So -- I'm looking at a Kenne Bell 2.1L kit, because I've always really admired KB's twin screw system, and the results their chargers put out. My question is, with my current mods (see cardomain in sig) and an agressive tune, whats a ballpark gain I could be looking at from her? Is this baby really worth it? Also is an intercooler a MUST have with these kits or can I get away without one?

Keep in mind I'm only interested in KB systems, I'm not a big fan on impeller designs, seeing as if I went that route, I might as well just stick with my initial turbo plan.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Since the KB's for the SN95 4.6 are not intercooled, max PSI is recommended around 10...12 being the max. So you are looking at around 380-440 depending on tune and pulley size.

97samssnake

Established Member
I think its pretty complicated. IIRC, Albino96(?) had a setup that would work, it wasn't a very big intercooler however.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Ah, well if its not like a major thing to run without one, then I suppose its no big deal, I'm certainly not going to break my neck and go broke trying to install one thats for sure.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
it just costs you a lot of horsepower not to run one because of the heat...and how much boost you can run, but with the 2.1 you should be able to lay down 420 rwh without a problem

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I wouldn't even worry about adding a I/C, because honestly....you probably couldn't make it work. I would just slap it on, change pulleys, and get a tune.

MustangBetty

it just costs you a lot of horsepower not to run one because of the heat...and how much boost you can run, but with the 2.1 you should be able to lay down 420 rwh without a problem

I haven't seen any making those numbers. If you have, could you link them or what forum it was on so I can read up. It's surprisingly hard to find kennebelled B-headed cars.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
btw you of course need supporting mods such as the BAP, and longtubes, im sure porting the heads would help....I just wish someone would come up with an intercooler even if it was small it would allow a few more pounds of boost to be run

MustangBetty

Are those numbers based off a stock setup? Because I'm far from stock.

380rwhp is probably a full exhaust+cai+KB at 8lbs from what I've seen.

You can't compare the Kennebells on 03 cobras and Gen2Lightnings to what you'll get from a KB kit on the B-headed cobra. Oh forgot one other thing, there is no Bypass available with the KB on our cars. :cryying:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great choice for having power down low still. What are your goals? That's probably the biggest question.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Hm.. interesting.

Well my goals are just an overall power increase really. I'd like to run 11's at the track is possible as well. The ability to rip from a dig or from a roll, and keep up with most of the nicer cars out there (LS2's, LS7's, Vipers, Supras, etc). Top speed isnt an issue but I certainly don't want to be redlining at 110mph either.

I guess from how its looking I should just go the turbo route and be done with it.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
just get a turbo, who gives a shit if it tones down exhaust? Get straight pipes then if you want louder exhaust. Whats the point in a louder exhaust if you get dusted by a quiet sounding one running twice the horsepower of you?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I like my 1.5L KB. Does it crank out the HP? nope. Does it put a smile on my face when I drive it? Yep :D

Im going to crank the boost up to 8-9lbs here pretty soon and toss a bit more aggressive tune on it and see what we can do. I'm at 353/356 now with current mods in the sig. Measured on a dynapack chassis dyno.

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would go with an intercooled vortech @10lbs and run 475rwhp and 400rwtq and run much cooler.

But, I love my low end torque and may not be able to give that up. It's just so much fun with the 4.10's and DR's. Launch sequence... 5 4 3 2 1.....

TheMoonRulez#1

Established Member
I had over 380hp to the wheels on the first tune at 8psi. Im thinking about going to 10psi this year. I would recomend a Kenne Bell. It doesn't have the HP of a Vortech or Procharger but with the low end power its fun to drive on the street and you can keep up with the higher hp of a centrifical. It ran a 12.40 without launching and granny shifting at the track.

qkslvr221

Established Member
How big is the hp difference between the 2.1 and the 1.5? I should think around 25rwhp, so is 400RWHP @ 8psi all that bad?

Users who are viewing this thread