Kelly Blue Book - Any way to argue against a low value with Dealer

KEVINS

Established Member
I just paid $20k for a used Tundra 6 months ago but I'm not liking the truck so I want to trade it for a F150. The KBB says my truck is only worth $13.7 but the dealer said they'd give me $14K which is outrageous b/c based on what I'm seeing my truck is worth every bit of $20. The truck is beautiful with zero rust and a recent ceramic coating.

Obviously the KBB is only a starting point for negotiations..correct?

I'm willing to take a hit to get back into a F150 so what secrets/arguments are there to help me negotiate more $$ for my truck?

ks

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
No. Dealerships will never give you KBB value for your truck as it’s a retail environment and they use Black Book which you don’t have access to. They’re in the business of making money therefor buy low and sell high.

Your best bet is to sell private party to try and recoup some of your loss, however you’ll still be upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Why the heck did you buy a tundra over an f-150 anyways?

I'm amazed that they offered you $14k. They usually go super low and offer much less than kbb.

You can try to private sale but that will be tricky without a clear title

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
KBB, Black Book, NADA, MMR, etc are all guides...lol None of them hold the golden ticket to the worth of a vehicle.

OP, post your VIN, miles and any damage and I will tell you what it's worth. Please note if it needs tires, windshield cracks, body work, brakes, etc.

KEVINS

Established Member
2009 Tundra SR5 Double cab 4WD
VIN: 5TFBW54159X087857

Miles: 105,000
5.7L
6 spd auto
Brand New aftermarket wheels
Tires have 1/2 to ¾ of tread left.
No Rust
Only One dent/crease on lower Pass Door from ??
A minor scratches but not much. Most could probably be polished out if someone wanted to do it.
factory Paint: 9/10 (Worst Case maybe 8.5/10)
Ceramic Coated by me
New tonneau cover
Drop-in bed liner
Interior: 9.5 of 10, damn near perfect.
Seats are a 9.9/10
Carpet 10/10
Door Panels 10/10
Like new Brakes
Engine Bay Cleanliness: 9/10 with all new plastic
No Oil Leaks
??

ks

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It has 3 open recalls.
I have no idea the extent of the dent/crease on the passenger door? Guessing in the $200-400 range.

With that in mind and everything else you listed, it's worth $14,500-15,000 on trade in. It will retail for $17-18k. That's assuming the dealership will spend $200 cleaning it, $200 in the shop (fluids, inspection, etc), $400 repairing the dent on the door, and NOT replacing tires (although if they're at 50%, they need to be replaced for $800-1,000).

My $0.02 is the $14k is fair, not as good as it could be, but not outside the realm of possibility. I'm not sure what you're looking at to think it is worth $20k? The average listing price is $18,591 in the country, and their average day supply in the market is 61 days. There's one at Eaton Automotive in Houston, MS that has 128k miles that they have listed for $18,900 and they've had it in inventory for 314 days. o_O

EDIT: I also find it highly unlikely that the truck is 9/10+ in every category with 105k miles on it.

Last edited:

KEVINS

Established Member
EDIT: I also find it highly unlikely that the truck is 9/10+ in every category with 105k miles on it.
This is one reason why I bought it. There was only a few plastic pieces that had some issues so I bought brand new factory pieces and replaced them. The interior is remarkably clean and the dealer that looked at it yesterday observed how new it still looked.

Used vehicles in this area of Nebraska go for $20-23K (96-120K miles) and these may have a little rust or dents/scratches/etc.. IMO, they are not worth it but that's a common price range I've been dealing with.

I looked at a 2014 SCREW with 5.0L that had 68K miles on it for $23.5K but it was rusting out REALLY bad on the bottom of the cab and the doors.

ks

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$20-23k? I don't think so. The top one is the highest priced one in the country, and it's ridiculously over priced. The second one is somewhat local to me, and it has a 4" lift kit, wheels/tires, fender flares, etc. the third one has 53k miles. The 5th one down has a lift kit, wheels/tires, bumper, steps, etc..

Here's a list of ALL of them that are listed online, including the sellers, price and odometer. (excluding forums):

upload_2018-9-27_11-22-42.png

You don't have to agree with my valuation of your truck, but I promise that's it is FAR more accurate than the $20k you're suggesting. Sounds like you overpaid the first time, IMO.

KEVINS

Established Member
I absolutely believe your assessment and what you posted above.

I'm referring to rust free F150's costing 20-23K since that's all I've been searching for. I can finder cheaper ones but then they are in rough shape.

I see that on your list that my truck falls directly in line with what I paid for it. Several vehicles with more miles are priced higher but several with less miles are priced less. This could be due to the quality of the truck.

ks

Last edited:

KEVINS

Established Member
Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Private sale/some may give a higher trade in but less discount on the selling price of the F-150. Numbers game.

Does your state give you a discount on sales tax if you trade in?

KEVINS

Established Member
No discount here..Yea, it's a numbers game and I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to determine if it's worth it before winter hits. I'm not toooooo worried about the financial hit that I will take on this truck b/c that will be expected but I don't want to loose too much either. I have to decide what I'm willing to live with. Based on the quality of the F150's I've seen in my price range I think I may be better off living with this Tundra.

ks

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Also from what I have seen with doing parts for 11+ years at a dealer is aftermarket add-ons, like wheels, tend to lower the value of a trade in. If there is an issue down the road like a missing or broken center cap, tracking down a replacement is much more difficult than calling that brand's dealer and getting one based on the VIN.

KEVINS

Established Member
I agree, and I really don't like these wheels at all, really ugly.

Anyway, based on the info above I'll ponder what I want to do next.

Thanks Gents for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!
KS

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
F-150’s hold there value. I’m hoping the 15 I just got will be more rust resistant than the steel body’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
Sell it on cars.com. They have you upload particular pictures of the car, answer a bunch of questions, and they'll submit it to dealers. My experience doing that was pretty painless and I got more for it than I would have on the private market.

nxhappy

Established Member
kbb sucks big black elephant dick. I NEVER use them as a guide. NADA is more accurate in my opinion, with higher pricing. Then again, I never sell my shit at KBB value. Usually I am 20-40% above KBB. If you have the time, just sell it private party. Craigslist, Facebook, Forums, autotrader ....the resources are ENDLESS

Users who are viewing this thread