Keep the seats or not?

Keep or Sell Stock Tan Leather Seats

• Total voters

wildman97

Established Member
Like the title says, keep or sell? I have a 97 Cobra w/tan interior. I swapped my seats out with 04 Cobra seats I got from a member here. My question is should I sell the factory tan leathers or keep them to return to stock later if I sell the car? If I sell what are they worth?

Pic of the interior now.
IMG_6051_zpsb8d1d2ed.jpg

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
depends on a ton of variables. pretty safe to say that youll be able to resell the 03/04 seats faster than the stockers, more money too. i say keep em and stick em in when its time to sell.

bumsoil

Established Member
i keep everything. that way if i ever sell the car i cam say i have all the parts. also i just like having them.

redrocket16

Established Member
Just sold my stock black leather seats. I can always find them and they don't have anything cobra on them. Sold my fronts for $340 today and I have a buyer lined up for the rears as well for $75. I need all the money I can get right now though for my motor fund.

I even considered selling my newly acquired dark suede seats too since they are worth more money but decided to keep them.

mustang3X

Established Member
Sell. Stock seats are heavy, uncomfortable, and use crap leather. And really, nobody ever puts their car back to stock.

Every part I have ever removed from my cars is either sold or thrown out, even tossed a set of seats once, was happy to see a metal scrapper throw them in his truck.

redrocket16

Established Member
This is what makes me want to keep.

What are your realistic plans for your car? Keep it? If so how long do you plan on having it? I don't plan on selling the car for at least 5 years and no way do I want to store the seats for that long plus who's to say they would be in ok shape when I am ready for that point?

I am planning on saving the original motor/trans from my car as those are tied to my specific car, all other parts though I can source at a junkyard fairly easy.

wildman97

Established Member
^^ No real plans on selling the car as I have only had it for about a year. I have had an offer of $350 for the set, so I'm on the fence.

mustang3X

Established Member
^^ No real plans on selling the car as I have only had it for about a year. I have had an offer of $350 for the set, so I'm on the fence.

All depends on what you paid for the cobra seats and what you would do with them if you pulled them out of the car.

You also have to consider the cost of your time dealing with seats laying around and the install time. Might seem worth it to keep now, but after tripping over them 20 times you'll be cursing yourself for not getting rid of them.

$350 can buy a lot for your car now, or you keep the old seats and hope they come in handy down the road.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
I think a lot would depend on what condition the original seats are in. Most originals I've seen wouldn't really be worth hanging onto. Even if they don't have holes the leather is dried out, quite hard and full of wrinkles and hairline cracks. Personally I'd take the $350.

wildman97

Established Member
The rear and passenger are in damn near new condition. The driver has some wear and tear but were well cared for.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
the fact that I kept my saddle seats is the only reason I can sell my 03 parchment seats... If you have the room, keep them. I would put a leather conditioner on them when you store them so they arent useless when you need them.

wildman97

Established Member
the fact that I kept my saddle seats is the only reason I can sell my 03 parchment seats... If you have the room, keep them. I would put a leather conditioner on them when you store them so they arent useless when you need them.

That makes a lot on sense, I don't want to sell them and then be stuck without any replacement should I decide to sell the 04's.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I would much rather buy a car that already has the 03/04 seats. I hate my stock leather seats, would rather have cloth. They're too soft and just... Meh.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I have kept mine out of a 97 that we put corbeaus in. Didn't keep them on purpose, just can't sell them lol

TDUB003

Established Member
I am currently swapping my black/tan interior to all black. I picked up a set of grey suede terminator seats for the swap. I decided to sell my tan seats based upon the fact that even if I did decide to sell the car in the future, the tan seats would not match my now black interior.

I had a hard time finding a buyer for the set but ended up trading the seats with an old dash & center console out of a 94 I had that weren't in the best shape for an XBox 360 320gb slim, 2 modded controllers, wireless headset, a bunch of games, and a 19" HDTV. The seats were in pretty good shape but considering the condition of the dash & console as well as the fact that I was sick of looking at them, I think it was a pretty fair deal.

If you have somewhere to put them and don't need the money I say keep them and put them back in if you sell the car, as long as they still match your interior. If they're going to be in your way, I would say list them and wait until the right deal comes along.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread