Keep SC or swap for turbo? 550-600rwhp

ArabMoFo

Established Member
Have a 95' Cobra. 45k mi on chassis. 5k miles on fully built lvl20 DSS 306 with forged rotating assembly. vortech v2 w/ anderson ford power pipe (boost 10+psi) edelbrock heads/intake. cam. 42injectors w/ matching pmas MAFS. Running SCT software. Very conservatively tuned (due to fact that injectors/mafs weren't supplying enough fuel/air). Put out just under 400rwhp and a bit over 400tq. Disappointing numbers but we assume this is just due to lack of fuel/air (after 4,500rpm it starts running cutting out). Have had NO engine issues since installing, runs great, idles, revs well, drives hard for long periods of time. Reliable up to this point. Still from what I've read and seen, there are those out there making more power with less.

My goal is to reliably produce between 550-600rwhp on my daily driven cobra which has a fresh motor built to withstand over 700hp, the question Im asking myself being. . .

Upgrade supercharger pulley, fuel injectors, fuel rails, MAFS, intercooler, dyno tune - Will that achieve my goal.
Or
Save some more money, order a turbo kit along with everything needed to install and operate it.

Opinions?

10-43 This 03

Established Member
I mean if you got the money go with turbo just cause you can but you can make the power you want with the set up you already have if you just do the fuel uprade.

Hell, if you do have the money for turbo swap I would still keep the setup I got and use that money for a full Aeromotive Fuel System and a custom intercooler. Just what I would do...Maybe even a set of True Forged Wheels after all that other stuff is done. :banana:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
why not work with what you have? no reason that wont make over 500 w/ more boost. fix the fuel problem and up the boost. I bet on the same pulley at 6k rpm it would be making 425-450 tuned correctly.

my friends stock bottom end w/ truck flow stage 1 top end and 12psi made 490whp.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Like most I say work with what you have. 42 pound injectors would be close to maxed out at 550-600 rwhp

I have a 99 with returnless style so to be honest unsure if your return style changes anything?

Likely need #60 injectors or bigger if plan on E85, aftermarket fuel pump, Diablo Mafia or larger MAF, BAP(??)

then smaller pulley and new tune. You have the foundation for your goals I believe. You should be making way more the 400rwhp on 10 pounds of boost.

I was 435rwhp on 6 pounds with Procharger P1SC(stock pulley) and ported heads.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Have a 95' Cobra. 45k mi on chassis. 5k miles on fully built lvl20 DSS 306 with forged rotating assembly. vortech v2 w/ anderson ford power pipe (boost 10+psi) edelbrock heads/intake. cam. 42injectors w/ matching pmas MAFS. Running SCT software. Very conservatively tuned (due to fact that injectors/mafs weren't supplying enough fuel/air). Put out just under 400rwhp and a bit over 400tq. Disappointing numbers but we assume this is just due to lack of fuel/air (after 4,500rpm it starts running cutting out). Have had NO engine issues since installing, runs great, idles, revs well, drives hard for long periods of time. Reliable up to this point. Still from what I've read and seen, there are those out there making more power with less.

My goal is to reliably produce between 550-600rwhp on my daily driven cobra which has a fresh motor built to withstand over 700hp, the question Im asking myself being. . .

Upgrade supercharger pulley, fuel injectors, fuel rails, MAFS, intercooler, dyno tune - Will that achieve my goal.
Or
Save some more money, order a turbo kit along with everything needed to install and operate it.

Opinions?

There is no way a stock block will hold the power you are talking relaibly

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
I would go turbo, I will be selling my KB here shortly to go turbo. The only thing that you have going against you is your block, A DSS Level 20 Block is just a race prepped stock block, I wouldn't believe it to hold over 550Fhp, even DSS says so..Save up, get a dart or world block, and get a nice single GT4788 setup and your set!

Block: World Products 087110 World Products SB-Ford Man O' War Engine Blocks
Turbo Kit: 79-93 5.0 MUSTANG STAGE 2 All Out KIT. - $6,250.00 : B&G Turbo Kits

BOOM! 1000rwhp, where a SC will choke down a lot sooner.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Yes. Without a different block the motor isn't really any stronger then a stock 5.0.

It would almost certainly split the block, regardless of girdles.

I know that on a stock block.....just figured DSS used something else...don't know anything about that company

there's your answer right there though OP. the stock block regardless how its built....is a time bomb around 500+rwhp. probably less if you ask some.

Users who are viewing this thread