Keep my 94 GT covertible or get a 98 Cobra?

DaveB

Established Member
Whats up guys, this is my first post here, but Ive been lurking for a while now. This summer Ill have a chance to either sell my car (and get a 98 Cobra, Id love to get yellow:bowdown: ) or swap a new h/c/i combo for my car. While my car isnt a Cobra, this forum has both 4.6 and 5.0 owners in it, so I figured it would be the best place to post. My car right now is a 94 GT Convertible with 93k miles. I have a full exhaust and some other minor bolt ons at this point. If I were to keep it Id get some AFR 165 heads, an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and a custom FTI cam. Now theres a guy on Stangnet thats running a 12.3 @ 111 with that same combo in a vert just like mine.

If I were to get a Cobra, Id be looking at getting some 4.10s, a JLT intake, pullies, a Bassani offroad x, a Dynomax catback, and probably some drag radials. What would a Cobra be capable of with those mods? Now would it be worth it to sell my car and get a Cobra? Now I love my car but lately Ive been really getting into drag racing and as soon as I hit 13.99 Englishtown is going to make me have to put in a 5 point bar and 5 point harness, so theres even more money Id have to dump into it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

66GT350

Established Member
Good question. Personally, I'd go for the Cobra. Couple of suggestions on the set-up you are considering for the 5.0 in the '94. First, move up to the 185 AFRs, not that much more $ for the extra CCs; consider an RPM Air Gap instead of just a Performer; before you go the custom cam route, check out some of the grinds Comp has out of the box for this combo - you might like it. Lastly I'd reccomend going to 1.7 roller rockers, check out the ones from Scorpion.

In case you can't tell, I came from the 289/302 world in classic stangs :). So, take it from me the 4V mod motor will take a little getting used to and there isn't the plethora of aftermarket go-fast goodies like there are for the 5.0. That being said, I really do like the DOHC, I just have to keep reminding myself that it really likes 4.5K and above when it comes to R's.

DaveB

Established Member
Im pretty sure the 185s wont work with the stock pistons, and the combo Im looking at has proven to work pretty well, but I will look into it. Ive heard good things about Scorpion rockers.

As for a 331 turbo, id like to make a car with that combo in a couple of years. But I have 2 more years of college left and I want something thats somewhat reliable for daily transporatation. Though I do want to build up a turbo 5.0 once I graduate. What do you guys think a Cobra coupe could run with those mods that I listed? Thanks for the posts.

sikwitit36

Banned
For pullies, exhaust, gears, and intake with a good hook a healthy well taking care of Cobra should run somewhere in the low to mid12s. And yes it would be worth gettin a Cobra . IMO I would rather have the new 4.6 modular motor. I think it is built better than 5.0. Some people will disagree with me because they have before but I still believe you can push the 4.6 harder than the 5.0
There is also plenty of performance mods on the market for the 4.6s

Note: I also find it hard to belive that the guy on Stangnet with heads, intake and a cam is pulling those kind of times. I think he was feeding you some crap.

DaveB

Established Member
Well its good to hear that Ill be able to hit those times with those mods:thumbsup: . As for the guy on Stangnet, its pretty well known that he runs those times, everyone started getting the same combo after he ran those times. Hard to beleive in a 3800lb vert:eek: . That was with slicks though.

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
I had a black vert '94 GT about two years ago before some idiot hit me dead center on the passanger side, and that was the end of my Black Beauty...Now I have a '98 Yellow vert and love it. Yellow if not the best color for SN95 Cobra's definitely one of the best, you won't be disappointed with that color. Also with a few mods, rims (go with 99+ Saleens your car will stand out from the rest), drop it about 1.5 all around, and some tint and you will be alright.

c9obr6a

Established Member
cobra's are a blast but if money is a concern stick with 5.0 easy to find used and new parts at better prices!

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Originally posted by sikwitit36
[
Note: I also find it hard to belive that the guy on Stangnet with heads, intake and a cam is pulling those kind of times. I think he was feeding you some crap. [/B]

Oh its definatly true. Ive seen the vids and seen his car progress. Most guys with a good H/C/I package will run 12.7-12.9 @ 107-110. Depending on tuning and parts used. He launches his car hard and can drive. Those times arent too unheard of, they are great for a Sn95 Vert but it makes sense.

DaveB

Established Member
Originally posted by Black98COBRA
Get the cobra. and get it in yellow:)

I really want yellow but the prices are rediculous. Theres one that I saw for around $16k with 62k miles. There was another with 20k miles that ended up going for $19k. I hate living in NJ, all the cars here are so expensive compared to everywhere else in the country:cuss: .

Users who are viewing this thread