Keep AFCO or Return to Stock H/E?

greengt88

Established Member
The debate of wether or not aftermarket H/E's work or not is on going....
I'm wanting to replace the AFCO i have now w/ the stocker and get an upgraded tank from Lethal instead. I'm interested on some opinions on this subject...I have to remove the bumper cover anyway so now's the time to make the decision. Any proof that these actually do lower IAT's? Or am i headed in the right direction with the Stocker and a tank?

rudycobra

Established Member
Y not afco and a tank ? I have fluidyne but have no proof to back it up but I think it helps . I still have stock but gonna get lethals tanks soon .

greengt88

Established Member
Ive read time and time again aftermarket ones are more for looks than anything else. i could always add fans to the stocker.

cobracide

Established Member
I've noticed that the aftermarket H/E cool the IAT2's down faster with an aftermarket (larger) H/E reservoir once moving.

greengt88

Established Member
Guess I just don't have any confidence in it working. And yeah $. Doesn't make sense to have it on if it doesn't do anything and I can get a tank that will make a difference.

Satyr

Established Member
When I was going to do a killer chiller a few years ago, I sold my dual pass to return to the stock setup. I noticed very little difference between the two. Max IAT2s were right around the same, with cool down time being slightly quicker with the dual pass (not much, though). I monitored via aeroforce gauges and I logged with my X3.

If I were you, I would go with the tank and some water wetter...but that's just my opinion.

greengt88

Established Member
^ But would u keep the afco or not? If they function the same i may as well sell it and get the tank.i'll be boxing in radiator once it cools down some more here, too damn hot to do any sort of work. i have reische 170 t-stat, and am running mix of wter wetter, distilled water and motorcraft gold coolant in rad. and have new coolant in h/e system. i think the most benefit will come from the tank and being able to add ice to it at the track.

Satyr

Established Member
^ But would u keep the afco or not? If they function the same i may as well sell it and get the tank.i'll be boxing in radiator once it cools down some more here, too damn hot to do any sort of work. i have reische 170 t-stat, and am running mix of wter wetter, distilled water and motorcraft gold coolant in rad. and have new coolant in h/e system. i think the most benefit will come from the tank and being able to add ice to it at the track.

If it were me, I would retain the factory HE and ice box and get a killer chiller. I am saving to do just that over the winter.

In your case, the combination may prove beneficial. My problem is that, after all is said and done, you could have spent another $100 after your HE and tank purchases to finance the killer chiller, which is the best option of all.

I guess if you have the money to spend, get both...but if you have anything else you want to get, I would sell the HE, buy the tank and leave it at that. Also, make sure you get a Reische 170* thermostat (didn't see if you had one already).

Users who are viewing this thread