KBB or NADA values

SteveChris

Established Member
I wanted to know what you guys think is more realistic. I am looking to trade in my car and get another. I have been researching it like crazy and i found around 10 near me of the same car that i will start looking at.
First off i need to trade in or sell, KBB has my car's trade in at 12-13k, that's horrible in my opinion. NADA has it just above 14k, i'd take that..it's what I had in mind for a trade in.

I figure if i'm picking up a car as well they make money off me twice, profit from the car I buy as well as profit from my car.
Now as far as buying KBB has some messed up values. I found two cars in the color i want, one is a 2005 with 34k miles..one is 2006 with 25k miles. Both have clear histories and look good. Two different dealers yet they have the same price. One dealer has a normal price i've been seeing around (the 2006) the 2005 is higher, more towards the KBB value for retail. But noone else is that high. I was goign to go to them first with a printout of the other car for the same price and use it to get them down alot more.

At least for a trade-in, which value would be more realistic?
And do dealers specifically use KBB or NADA or just whatever is higher..or maybe it has nothing to do with that and they might not even look. i dont know

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
the dealer will not use either one for your trade in. most likely they will get a manhiem(sp) report or call to get a bid. i took a print out of the kbb trade in value with me, and was laughed out of every dealer. the dealers were about 3grand under the kbb and nada trade in values.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Local Dealers use to call us for NADA values on cars before we stopped giving them because it took to much time. They will usually only give you the LOAN value as trade in no matter what service you get it from. That is the value the bank or finance company will finance on that car. But you are right about the KBB values. We had a repo'd 2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel with 275,000 miles. It said the value even with the miles was $21,000.00 low book. I laughed. Someone needed to get their head into the real world.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
great....so basically they're going to offer me 11-12k haha
i'd never take that. ill walk out

also remember that dealers and salesmen will make more money on a used car sale than a new one. no joke they will buy a car for 9k(trade in) and ask 14k or 15k for it. a 4 or 5 thousand dollar profit on a used car is very regular in the industry. i would not be surprised if one only offers 10k for your trade.

go private! sell you your svt yourself and sell it for more. then buy privately and purchase for less!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Neither; find someone with access to Black Book..you'll have a lot better idea of what the current auction values are.

Don't trade unless you HAVE to; you're always better off to sell it yourself.

Nino S

Established Member
I sell cars for a new car dealership and I guarantee you that a used car guy is most likely going to take a shot at you just to see how you react. He will probably say that all he can get on it $9500. Sicne you know what you want for your car you need to make a big scene and get up like you are leaving. He will try to keep you calm by saying that he has a wholesaler that he can make a call on to see if they will put more money on it. If you are looking for $13500 - $14000 you have to tell him that you want $15000 because he is going to work you down off your number. You got to remember that they have a lot more room on used cars then new cars so they may be able to actually make it look like they are giving you a lot for your trade. If their dealership is like most others once you work them long enough they will take their pants all the way off and you will know when they are REALLY "all in" (they are going to say that a lot). Good luck, be strong and be a d**k!!

SteveChris

Established Member
great thanks for the advice guys.. i'll go on saturday and just check. The place i wanted to go to is an hour away in Jersey but i'll have to go expecting to come back with the cobra. I wanted to test drive this car anyway so i'll listen to what he offers if anything and wont hesitate to ask for alot or walk off

and i rather not trade..but im a little impatient. nooen biting here or on cars.com. i have a cop friend posting flyers in his precinct (of my non-street legal car heh)
and my brother is in sanitation so i'll have him post a flyer in his garage. if i drive home with the cobra ill go buy a for sale sign

Last edited:

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
State Farm used NADA when they valued my car :shrug:

That's very surprising, but VERY nice for you! Most won't, but they will give you the suggested retail value. I know that trade in on my car with the miles (52k) is 19.5k and the private party is 21.5k, but the suggested retail is 25k. Both the bank and the insurance have my car valued at 25k right know. I was thinking about refinancing, and had to get all this information last week.

Users who are viewing this thread