KB questions for a potential new L owner.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I did a search and found some info., but there are a few questions I have that I couldn't find the answer for. I would really appreciate some help. I am back in the market for an L (if I can find a local dealer that has one).

I wanted to get an 01 + and slap a 2.3l KB on it. According to their site (from what I could find), I should be able to get the blower, boost a spark, chip and be ok. But from what I ahve read on here, that is not enough. Instead of a chip, most seem to go with a syno tune. Why is that? Are their chips really that 'off'? Also, I have noticed that alot of you suggest to go with a MaFia, injectors, and plugs (60# and colder .35 plugs). I am wondering why that is as well. This is what I wanted to do:

KB 2.3l swap with the 2.75" pulley and stock 7.5" crank. I didn't want to mess with the lower pulley, but I wanted the most out of the upper. I understand that is 16.5psi which is about max for stock L.

Get the Boost-A-Spark, CAI, and chip.

Please 'inform' me what I am missing and why. What I gather is the 16.5psi is 'tops' and it would be best to get the plugs and Mafia. Is this correct? Also, why is a dyno tuen suggested over the chip? and why with Mafia if I go with the boost-spark?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I am looking at a few options for a new DD and the L is one of them, but I would like a KB ontop of it.

Mike

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
A custom dyno tune with an SCT XCAL2 is far superior to a chip and can be changed with ease. You don't need a boost a spark, I don't use one. You need bigger injectors, pumps and a Mafia to handle the extra airflow and power it makes. You need colder plugs when upping the boost to prevent detonation.

The FAQ page I made has all the info you'll need when doing the swap, it's at the top of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread