KB owners that still have IRS

VinSVT

Established Member
Anyone still running the IRS with a KB? Just curious if anyone is doing it and how it is working out. If there is anyone... tell me what suspension mods you have on the IRS.

Thanks

- Vincent

fubu795

Banned
My buddy has an 03 cobra with a blowzilla and every mod imaginable, hes running the IRS with DSS level 5 half-shafts. He just moved up to the metco 10-rib system and now is pushing 660 RWHP with just 19 lbs boost. He has 60 lb injectors, focus pumps, BAP, JLT CAI, JLP HE, kooks long tubes, bassani xpipe, flowmaster 3 inch catback, afs 18" wheels with BFG drags. So far before the metco system he ran 10.92 on afs 18" rims. Hes now got et streets and the metco system so hes hoping for low 10's

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
I have the MJ brace, DSS lvl 5 half shafts, delrin bushings, MM IRS bushings.

MT 17x11.5x26 et streets on stock wheels

No hop

1.63-1.68 60fts 4500-5000 clutch dump..and mat the gas

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I know a guy who is running a KB with 118 race gas. He claims to make over 650 rwhp. But, he doesn not run at the track as of yet. He does run 315 Nittos though on the street.

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
315 nittos, IRS brace, and everything else stock and no wheel hop. :)

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I still have the IRS and plan on keeping it. I was laying down about 600rwhp and ran only stock F1's. I am in the final stages of boing IRS poly subframe bushings as well as Nicks custom delrin LCA/UCA, rear diff and aluminum front diff bushings. I also did MJ's diff brace and lvl 5 half shafts.

I melted a couple pistons and my VT Billit stroker just arrived, im hoping for some serious TQ.

EngCon

Established Member
I have the DSS Level 5 setup and MJ's brace. My car makes plenty of power and everthing is holding up just fine. I have no other rear (or front for that matter) suspension mods. I do run MT ET Streets at the track.

Jay

coleman

Established Member
hardened half-shafts here, 3.73, lowered, upper/lower KB control arms, coil-over, IRS brace (yet to install) ... but I try to avoid drag strips for obvious reasons.

i prefer to open track my car :)

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by vector
I have the MJ brace, DSS lvl 5 half shafts, delrin bushings, MM IRS bushings.

MT 17x11.5x26 et streets on stock wheels

No hop

1.63-1.68 60fts 4500-5000 clutch dump..and mat the gas

What clutch do you use?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
100% stock, have MJ brace sitting in box. Consistant 1.9 60's on F1's. Would definetly like some E/T streets though. I have 30k miles and probably 50 1/4 mile runs on my stock half shafts.

drohan8592

Established Member
JUST WONDERING IF ENGCON IS THE SAME PERSON WHO HAD HIS CAR IN 5.0 MUSTANG. THAT THING IS SICK !!!!!!

EngCon

Established Member
Originally posted by drohan8592
JUST WONDERING IF ENGCON IS THE SAME PERSON WHO HAD HIS CAR IN 5.0 MUSTANG. THAT THING IS SICK !!!!!!

Yes that is me and my car in that magazine - thanks. That is also my car on the Strictly Performance website in the video section.
Guys you can get the IRS to perform pretty darn good (for the drag strip) you just need some good axles, IRS brace, some bushings if you want and a good tire.

Jay

EngCon

Established Member
jay, are you still the record holder for stock IRS ??

drohan8592 - No, I know that Nitrous Pete went in the nine's with the IRS and an Auto, and I am pretty sure that there are others. I do believe that no one with a 6-speed, IRS has gone faster than me. And maybe that is because they are not as crazy/stupid as me. A 6-speed car with the IRS and the amount of horsepower that you have to have to go low is very very violent but fun!!

Jay

03CobraBro

Established Member
Sounds like the IRS brace is a good investment then right? ( I was waiting for some of you other guys to get em to be guinne pigs for me :D. )

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Sounds like the IRS brace is a good investment then right? ( I was waiting for some of you other guys to get em to be guinne pigs for me :D. )
There are slightly modded cars cracking rear covers. The diff brace is cheap insurance and I recommend it for anyone at any power level.

EngCon

Established Member
Yes the IRS brace is a good investment as Shadowgray03 has said. I think that extended use with DR puts more strain on it than say an ET Street just by the inherent properties of each tire. Unless my IRS carrier was a freak, but every car that I have seen with ET Streets or better does not distroy halfshafts or IRS covers as bad - they do like to eat clutches though.

Jay

drohan8592

Established Member
ENGCON, WHAT KIND OF SHOCKS AND SPRINGS ARE YOU RUNNING? ALSO DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT TAKES TO INSTALL THE HALFSHAFTS. THANKS

BILL

EngCon

Established Member
ENGCON, WHAT KIND OF SHOCKS AND SPRINGS ARE YOU RUNNING? ALSO DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT TAKES TO INSTALL THE HALFSHAFTS. THANKS

BILL

Other than the halfshafts and IRS brace my suspension is completely stock - stock shocks and springs front and rear.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread