KB or Whipple conversion - keep that PCV tube away from the fuel rail

Avispa

Established Member
I've posted a few times on here about fast idle problems with my 03 Cobra since last summer. I was all set to yank the intake/blower to get to the PCV hose that connects to a fitting on the lower intake, change out injector o-rings, blower base gasket and intake gasket, when lo and behold, the plastic U shaped PCV tube (that my tuner strapped to the fuel rail) had a big ol' hole melted in the bottom of it where it was strapped to the fuel rail. Problem solved.

If your plastic PCV tube is anywhere near the fuel rail, put a piece of 5/8 ID rubber hose over it so the heat won't melt yours, too.

This was a PITA giving me fits for months. Hope I save a couple of you the same frustration.

black 10th vert

Established Member
How did the fuel rail melt it? I never thought those got hot enough to melt plastic.:??:

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I wouldn't have thought it would have been that hot either.

Sent with Riddla's massive johnson

Avispa

Established Member
I didn't think the fuel rails got that hot either, but the PCV tube happened to be strapped to the fuel rail right where the retainer lug to the lower intake is located. Ford must make those things out of low melting temp plastic; once we unstrapped the tube, there was the dang hole. You could tell by the shape of the hole it was melted and not rubbed through, too.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Are you sure it wasn't the EGR? It gets quite hot and is immediately next to that hard plastic u-bent hose

Users who are viewing this thread