KB or VMP BAP?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Grabbing the last few major parts to finish my "build" and was wondering what everyone's opinion was on these two baps. Vmp's is a little more and I know KB is tried and true.

Thanks.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hard to beat the track record of the KB BAPs. It looks like Whipple is shipping JMS boosters in their big boy kits, so JMS would be worth a look as well. I ran a VMP Pump booster when I had a TVS on my car a few years ago. Had no issues, but if I were to do it again (and I will be) Im going with a KB Plug N Play BAP.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Hard to beat the track record of the KB BAPs. It looks like Whipple is shipping JMS boosters in their big boy kits, so JMS would be worth a look as well. I ran a VMP Pump booster when I had a TVS on my car a few years ago. Had no issues, but if I were to do it again (and I will be) Im going with a KB Plug N Play BAP.

Appreciate the info. I was leaning towards KB so I might as well just stick with them.

Any idea of where to get the pnp kb bap? I just sent Revan Racing an email asking if they have the pnp version because I don't know where else to get it.

tktlwyr

Established Member
Funny to see Kenne Bell offering plug and play kits for Fords after having a statement that this was an impossibility due to reliability issues for years.

I originally had a KB splice in kit and had issues that were related to the "professional" who installed it. Turned out he sliced a cable than ran next to a ground wire and whenever the two would touch, I was left on the side of the road. About $500 in towing charges later, we removed the BaP and installed higher volume pumps and discovered the issue.

When I needed more fuel, I went back to fuel pump voltage booster, but went with the VMP plug and play units. They've been rock solid for two years.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My guess is that they were "inspired" by Shelby American when they got the Super Snake and Shelby 1000 contracts. If Im spending stupid amounts of money for a Super Snake or Shelby 1000, a DIY splice kit for more fuel would be unacceptable. Hence the creation of their plug n play unit.

Its speculation on my part, but it makes the most sense if KB was resistant to PnP kits.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I picked up a KB unit, I appreciate the replies. We'll see if I have any issues or not.

ryan319

Established Member
Doesn't the KB pnp activate from a boost reference and the vmp pnp runs continuous, like a hard wired KB?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I believe the 21v competition KB BAPs have the option for the boost reference Hobbs switch. Both the 17v KB and VMP are continuous.

JMS boosters can be Hobbs switch enabled or run off a 5v reference signal, such as the TPS WOT signal. They look like a very quality and robust design.

I personally like simple so unless I have a specific reason for needing the JMS unit's level of customization, Id be quite happy with a switched KB 21v competition unit. 17v until boost switched to 21v.

Users who are viewing this thread