KB 3.2L

badmpg03

Established Member
Fellas - anyone been running this setup? Going back and forth about 2.9L Whipple vs 3.2L KB.
Just looking for feedback as search came back with not much on this setup. Would like to know more, I like Kenne Bell and have a 2.2L on the car now running e85.

It's not all about the power as I love the sound of the KB's more than Whipple but would like to make 800whp+ on a built 4.75-5.0L motor. Looking for solid 145MPH trap in a full weight car.
Thanks for any help

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
145mph trap car would be quite difficult. What's the compression on the new engine? Ported heads cams? If it's stock compression heads and cams that's gonna require a ton of boost. Most lightened coupes with a 2.9 crusher on stock engines are trapping 140-142 with like 25psi.

badmpg03

Established Member
It would be higher compression build probably 10.1-5:1 but still talking things over with shop. 1 7/8" primaries with 3" all the way out back.
Stock heads/cams for now to see what it would make....then end goal is to do it all.

My thinking on keeping heads/cams stock at first is I want to see the actual results while attempting to keep all else equal when this is done.
I've seen, admitted mainly on the forms, what looks like some shops do the full build all at once in which case the car may come back lower on expected power. Some threads where it seems like full built heads/cams cars may have 15-20 hp more than a car with similar build on stock heads same boost/timing..etc. Then you see some cars that may gain 100whp over stock heads/cams car. I think it would be interesting to see direct result, also to determine if I want to have heads and cams done locally or outsource to the best I can find.

Bottom line on the blowers, I like Kenne Bell and am trying to justify looking at vs 2.9. I have heard the 3.2L's make a little more noise than the KB 2.8L and I like it fits under the stock hood. I don't like tapping into the liquid cooled feature and relocating the intake/battery but willing to do it.
So from my point of view not all about end hp #'s, with that said I want like to hit my goal above.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
While I see why you'd want to do a side by side comparison, I can tell you that the money aspect of doing it basically twice isn't worth it lol. If you're going to have the engine out do it all at once.. This is why you see everyone do it. There is no reason to spend the money twice pulling the engine out re-timing etc etc.

If you can get compression to 10-10.5 and keep the stock heads and cams you should be able to make the power to trap 145+

I've only seen 1 person doing the 3.2L KB so far. It's not done yet, and I don't think it fits under the stock hood, but I could be wrong. I know that the 2.9L crusher does though.

AED built my friends stock heads and cams std 2.9L whipple. It's a 9.5 stroker Ford Racing short block. Makes 830rwhp on 20psi and so far has beaten a 139mph trap car on the street with ease. I would say at the track it's in the 141-142mph range, that is without a crusher and the 3" pulley upper only. I think with the crusher inlet alone it'll push it into the 880rwhp range and into the MPH range of 145.. The car is lightened though, seats, k-member. BUT it's all offset from the bigger blower, KC setup etc. SO maybe slightly lighter than stock weight.

GodStang

Established Member
Decide what boost level you plan on running. I had a 2 liter blower but was spinning it too hard so I went bigger.

badmpg03

Established Member
Thanks for response. I am still debating doing it all at once but agree with your points, hard to justify doing it and then heads/cams later.
I have read 3.2 fits under stock hood so far. I think KB stated that at some point.
Been hearing a lot of good about AED, wish they were closer to home. Your buddies 2.9 car - how big was the motor?
Any advantage doing 9.5 versus 10-10.5 compression? Seems with E85 at the pumps now, really no reason not to up it a little higher?

badmpg03

Established Member
GodStang - I would want to keep boost lower ideally but unless I am missing something, I wouldn't really care if boost was 23psi or 28psi. With that said obviously want to keep heat down as well as not over spin said blower I would running, I have 2.2 rpm maxxed out right now only at 19psi.

khaos

Established Member
I have a 3.2 KB on my cobra, fit under the stock hood.
I was looking at both the KB and whipple - Juiced46 compared the 2.8 mammoth and 3.4 crusher and they were within 1HP of each other http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/mammoth-vs-crusher-dyno-comparisons.678958/

Given that info and the fact that KB said the 3.2 is good for an additional 50HP over the 2.8, I would say its a better option for high boost applications. I run a killer chiller with the liquid cooling to help lower IAT's so for me that was an additional plus.

GodStang

Established Member
What did you do to the liquid cooled lines to prevent shock from the killer chiller?

I was looking at both the KB and whipple - Juiced46 compared the 2.8 mammoth and 3.4 crusher and they were within 1HP of each other http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/mammoth-vs-crusher-dyno-comparisons.678958/

Given that info and the fact that KB said the 3.2 is good for an additional 50HP over the 2.8, I would say its a better option for high boost applications. I run a killer chiller with the liquid cooling to help lower IAT's so for me that was an additional plus.

GodStang

Established Member
I turn the chiller off when the coolant temp hits around 65 degrees

Ah ok. I am thinking about running the killer chiller on my 3.6L. I ran my LC lines to a different system so I could ice the intercooler with zero issues.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for response. I am still debating doing it all at once but agree with your points, hard to justify doing it and then heads/cams later.
I have read 3.2 fits under stock hood so far. I think KB stated that at some point.
Been hearing a lot of good about AED, wish they were closer to home. Your buddies 2.9 car - how big was the motor?
Any advantage doing 9.5 versus 10-10.5 compression? Seems with E85 at the pumps now, really no reason not to up it a little higher?

The engine was a 5.0L stroker engine. If you have E85 all the time, go with 10.0-10.5.. Also boost is a just a measurement of restriction obviously you want to make the most power with the least amount of boost.

stangfreak

Established Member
well with a built 5.0 boss block freddy brown 4r auto and 2.8 mammoth my friend aj ran a 9.44 143mph in his car. no high compression or fancy cams.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
and his car with the mammoth came nowhere near 800rwhp through the auto. still went 143. race weight I believe was little over 3600lbs

ctgreddy

Established Member
Call kenne bell and see what they say about the 3.2 first. I debated switching to it especially since it's just a head unit swap on mine but they said I couldn't spin it too hard, i believe they said 22psi max.

FWIW, i make 750 with a 2.8 mammoth on stock longblock and 22lbs. 800+ would be EASY with 10.0+ compression and mid 20's boost levels.

im-1

Established Member
Call kenne bell and see what they say about the 3.2 first. I debated switching to it especially since it's just a head unit swap on mine but they said I couldn't spin it too hard, i believe they said 22psi max.

FWIW, i make 750 with a 2.8 mammoth on stock longblock and 22lbs. 800+ would be EASY with 10.0+ compression and mid 20's boost levels.
I do have one (3.2) the car still in the shop it will be completed within a month I also have heard about that issue from someone try to spin it over 27 lbs.

He said "be careful with spinning it too much. I had one fully seize up on the dyno after 1 pull when I tried to spin it past 27lbs"

ctgreddy

Established Member
yeah that's what shy'd me away from it. I believe it had something to do with using the same 2.8 case but with bigger rotors, so there wasn't as much material to strengthen things once blower rpm gets up there.

im-1

Established Member
yeah that's what shy'd me away from it. I believe it had something to do with using the same 2.8 case but with bigger rotors, so there wasn't as much material to strengthen things once blower rpm gets up there.
I already got it before I know about the issue
I'll take the risk I will push it to that limit (stock upper / 4lbs lower) I don't what lbs I will see with my bigger displacement engine and ported heads

badmpg03

Established Member

Thanks for replies guys.

Khaos, i think you are only one running one directly on your car. Just curious how must boot you are running on the 3.2 and the manners of blower? Do you see a lot of heat running it? BIggest questions - would do it again? Also, is it quiet blower?

khaos

Established Member
I had one of the 1st 3.2's produced (feb 2015) - I have been running 26.5lbs of boost from day 1 without any issues.

The car drives like stock till you get on it - but I would attribute that to the tuner's skills. I like that fact that it is liquid cooled since I run it with my killer chiller.
I also like the fact that its a billet (polished) piece since I show the car as well as race it. It's pretty loud - at Idle you can hear the air being pulled through the filter and it's very loud top end. KB support has been awesome anytime I have questions Ken Christley has emailed or called me back within hours.

Things I didn't like - intake on drivers side, relocating battery, different throttle cable and some minor fitment issues.

I am very please with the blower - I plan on building a bottom end and switching to e85 this winter

I believe there are a couple other guys running them as well - Fry's03SVT was setting one up about the same time I was doing mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 323

Users who are viewing this thread