KB 2.8LC vs 13-6 + 10% lower + headers...opinions?!

scottGT500

Established Member
Hey guys!

I currently have Van's 13-6 kit which is bad azz to say the least. I am considering adding a 10% lower (track pack) and some headers to up the power a bunch. I have spoken to Van personally so I know what he thinks I should do...lol...thank you Van for always taking time to talk!!!:beer:

I am looking to have a monster street car on 93 pump gas while staying on the SAFE side of things because I drive this car every day. Reliability is key here.

How would y'all compare those mods vs just doing a KB 2.8LC (stock hood) with a 3" pulley and NOTHING else...@17-18 psi...

I know the KB will produce more power but the torque of the 2.3 is awesome!

Let me know your thoughts...especially from those with a KB on the 5.8.

Thanks!

Scott:beer:

Hourigan218

Established Member
Same here let us know. I'm on the fence here and am looking to mod now and wanting to either 13-6 with upper pulley and h-pipe or a blower swap.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What's the guestimate on power/price of the KB versus the 13-6? Would the KB honestly just be a blower swap alone of would there be additional things to be done? I thought I read somewhere the blower swap was 30rwhp over the 13-6 kit (750rwhp versus 720rwhp) or something like that?

It would SEEM to my limited understanding the 13-6 would be the way to go simply because you couldn't use the KB to it's fullest potential without doing additional mods for durability. 750-800rwhp is the suggested limits of the motor in stock form isn't it? Maybe I'm off in my thinking.

scottGT500

Established Member
What's the guestimate on power/price of the KB versus the 13-6? Would the KB honestly just be a blower swap alone of would there be additional things to be done? I thought I read somewhere the blower swap was 30rwhp over the 13-6 kit (750rwhp versus 720rwhp) or something like that?

It would SEEM to my limited understanding the 13-6 would be the way to go simply because you couldn't use the KB to it's fullest potential without doing additional mods for durability. 750-800rwhp is the suggested limits of the motor in stock form isn't it? Maybe I'm off in my thinking.

You and I think the same...

The power would be similar between the two. Granted adding a 10% lower and headers to the 13-6...

The KB is cheaper to install but a more expensive part.

The 13-6+++ is much more expensive to install but parts are cheaper.

Net......the 13-6+++ is cheaper with similar power...

BUT....as Van noted...you could pop the KB off and get 70-80% of your $$ back and sell the KB rather quickly if you wanted to.

Also, the KB swap is A LOT easier to return to stock for whatever reason.

I am torn because the 13-6+++ will get you @720/750 and cheaper. The KB w/3" pulley will be @750/680 but more expensive...but you have a very desirable piece to re-sell down the road.

:bash:

Myfast70

Established Member
I would think the KB would be a more efficient combo than the OD pulley as it will move more air and your inlet temps would be lower. It will also allow more room for growth down the road and has great resale value as stated above. At least that's my thinking :shrug:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
You and I think the same...

The power would be similar between the two. Granted adding a 10% lower and headers to the 13-6...

The KB is cheaper to install but a more expensive part.

The 13-6+++ is much more expensive to install but parts are cheaper.

Net......the 13-6+++ is cheaper with similar power...

BUT....as Van noted...you could pop the KB off and get 70-80% of your $$ back and sell the KB rather quickly if you wanted to.

Also, the KB swap is A LOT easier to return to stock for whatever reason.

I am torn because the 13-6+++ will get you @720/750 and cheaper. The KB w/3" pulley will be @750/680 but more expensive...but you have a very desirable piece to re-sell down the road.

:bash:

Well whatever you decide, let me know. I go down to Charleston Mississippi every couple months and I'd love to check it out. I'm more than happy to let someone else do the experimenting before I buy. :lol: :beer:

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Why is the conclusion that the 13-6 is the harder and more expensive install? Obviously, the TB, tune, and CAI are breezes. Is the pulley that difficult? Or are you considering that the headers are the difficult part and unnecessary with the KB?

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
The Kenne Bell would be more efficient with less possibility of heat soak. It all depends how big and bad you want to go down the road.

rancid

Established Member
If you ever plan on upgrading the weak links in the motor for bigger power later on and cost isn't a factor get the KB.

scottGT500

Established Member
Why is the conclusion that the 13-6 is the harder and more expensive install? Obviously, the TB, tune, and CAI are breezes. Is the pulley that difficult? Or are you considering that the headers are the difficult part and unnecessary with the KB?

Adding headers to the 13-6. (10% isn't too bad)....headers are expensive...from what my local tuner/installer told me...

No headers using the KB...so just literally a blower swap.

Scott

scottGT500

Established Member
My '10 had a KB with 17-18psi. The 5.4 is a proven motor IMO. Should the 5.8 be just as ok wirh 17-18psi? Obviously tune permitting...tune will come from Van, so Lund.

Scott

Myfast70

Established Member
My '10 had a KB with 17-18psi. The 5.4 is a proven motor IMO. Should the 5.8 be just as ok wirh 17-18psi? Obviously tune permitting...tune will come from Van, so Lund.

Scott

If anything, the 5.8 should even be a bit more capable than the 5.4. It has the coolant revisions in the block, oil squirters for the pistons and a tiny bit more displacement which will keep the boost a smidgen lower with the same pulley sizes as the 5.4. If you could swing it, the KB is the way to go!

scottGT500

Established Member
If anything, the 5.8 should even be a bit more capable than the 5.4. It has the coolant revisions in the block, oil squirters for the pistons and a tiny bit more displacement which will keep the boost a smidgen lower with the same pulley sizes as the 5.4. If you could swing it, the KB is the way to go!

:beer:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Why? The question isn't which will make more power, it's a KB blower swap only versus the 13-6/pulley. Why are you saying the KB is the way to go? My curiosity is more in terms of whether or not the 30-50rwhp is worth the price difference for the KB. Arn't we talking $6300 versus the $2200 of the 13-6 + pulley?

scottGT500

Established Member
Why? The question isn't which will make more power, it's a KB blower swap only versus the 13-6/pulley. Why are you saying the KB is the way to go? My curiosity is more in terms of whether or not the 30-50rwhp is worth the price difference for the KB. Arn't we talking $6300 versus the $2200 of the 13-6 + pulley?

In order to compare #'s...it is the 13-6 + pulley + headers.

The cost to install the headers alone is what gets the net cost close to the KB...not to mention the labor to install everything else...

I would venture to say that the installed KB would be @20-30% more than the 13-6 + a pulley + headers...not crazy more considering the re-sellable value the KB has...

Scott

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
In order to compare #'s...it is the 13-6 + pulley + headers.

The cost to install the headers alone is what gets the net cost close to the KB...not to mention the labor to install everything else...

I would venture to say that the installed KB would be @20-30% more than the 13-6 + a pulley + headers...not crazy more considering the re-sellable value the KB has...

Scott

I'm not seeing the value, money wise, in the KB. 13-6+10%+headers and H pipe,,,I'm in the neighborhood of $3800,,,no even close to the 6K that you guys said KB was going for. Hardest part of all the install will be pulling stock balancer and the grind on the tab. Everything else is nuts and bolts removal and replace.
Yep, I will do my own install but still,,,,,,,,

Unless I'm missing something,,I'm staying with 13-6 +++ for my car. It suits me and what I plan to do with it,,,as far as re-sell,,this car is gonna grow old with me and then on to my daughter, after I'm gone, she can do as she wishes.

scottGT500

Established Member
I'm not seeing the value, money wise, in the KB. 13-6+10%+headers and H pipe,,,I'm in the neighborhood of $3800,,,no even close to the 6K that you guys said KB was going for. Hardest part of all the install will be pulling stock balancer and the grind on the tab. Everything else is nuts and bolts removal and replace.
Yep, I will do my own install but still,,,,,,,,

Unless I'm missing something,,I'm staying with 13-6 +++ for my car. It suits me and what I plan to do with it,,,as far as re-sell,,this car is gonna grow old with me and then on to my daughter, after I'm gone, she can do as she wishes.

Your thoughts are why I am also struggling with the KB....

I am sure that the power of the 13-6, 10% lower and headers would be similar to the KB...actually MORE torque which is more fun on the street...

What are your power levels with those mods?

Thanks!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread