KB 2.8LC or F1 for 2v build?

GM SMOKER

Established Member
I'm stuck between a KB and a procharger. It's mostly a street car that I drag race. Time slips, dyno graphs, or any advise is welcomed.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
street fun KB
Drag strip F1

Im a PD guy, so my vote would be KB for instant fun, power, seat of your pants feel.

GM SMOKER

Established Member
How would the kb compare to the f1 in the 1/4? One of the things I'm concerned about on the kb is the iat's. Even with the liquid cooled I would imagine the would get kinda high runnin at the track.

CalBoy101

Established Member
In general a centri will be faster at the drags than a KB and a turbo would be faster than that because of better efficiency.

But KB's are more fun on the street and that's why I got one and you can still go very fast at the strip with one.

For a drag strip setup though KB's can work well. They use a coolant based intercooler. The tank for the intercooler supplied with the kits is very small and is mounted under the hood but for the track you can add a trunk based tank and fill it with ice inbetween rounds, keeping your IAT's very low.

You can also use a "Killer Chiller" with KB's, this is a system that uses the cars AC to lower the IAT, they work pretty well.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
In general a centri will be faster at the drags than a KB and a turbo would be faster than that because of better efficiency.

But KB's are more fun on the street and that's why I got one and you can still go very fast at the strip with one.

For a drag strip setup though KB's can work well. They use a coolant based intercooler. The tank for the intercooler supplied with the kits is very small and is mounted under the hood but for the track you can add a trunk based tank and fill it with ice inbetween rounds, keeping your IAT's very low.

You can also use a "Killer Chiller" with KB's, this is a system that uses the cars AC to lower the IAT, they work pretty well.

+1

NC03GT

Established Member
turbo or centri would be my choice.... I was going to go with an F1 or T-trim set up but it will be cheaper to go turbo and be more efficient like previously stated

GM SMOKER

Established Member
I'm kind of leaning towards a kb. I've rode in a 490hp positive displacement cobra and a 480 hp vortech cobra and I liked the PD much better. Idk if it was the vortech v2 or not but it didn't feel strong at all until close to redline.

triple-s

Established Member
I had a 2.6 kb before my f1 and I would choose f1a any day for one I'd made way more power with a f1a. Two it stays way cooler then a kb. Plus you don't have to buy all these extras when you get a f1a kit. The kb kit comes with a small heat exchanger and reservoir tank So had to buy those after market to keep the the iat's in ckeck. Then the intake pipe they give you is junk so your going have to get jlt or something. Plus depending on what fuel rails you have you're going have to modify the bypass valve to get it to fit. So if I knew all this before I would have skipped the kb! Also changing the spark plugs is a real big pain in the ass due to them using a cobra back inlet that sit's over the back two plugs on the passenger side. I would have to remove the fuel rail and tilt the blower to change them.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I had a 2.6 kb before my f1 and I would choose f1a any day for one I'd made way more power with a f1a. Two it stays way cooler then a kb. Plus you don't have to buy all these extras when you get a f1a kit. The kb kit comes with a small heat exchanger and reservoir tank So had to buy those after market to keep the the iat's in ckeck. Then the intake pipe they give you is junk so your going have to get jlt or something. Plus depending on what fuel rails you have you're going have to modify the bypass valve to get it to fit. So if I knew all this before I would have skipped the kb! Also changing the spark plugs is a real big pain in the ass due to them using a cobra back inlet that sit's over the back two plugs on the passenger side. I would have to remove the fuel rail and tilt the blower to change them.

You should post pics of your setup

Users who are viewing this thread