KB 2.8 idle question

NIL8U

Established Member
Im about to purchase a 03 cobra with a 2.8 KB non mammoth. I had a question regarding idle. it seems to have a small misfire at idle, is it common with these KB 2.8? or could it be tune, plugs, coils?

I know its kinda vague info but i am about to go see and test drive it within the next couple of days.
any help would be greatly appreciated ladies and gents.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it's kind of a popping sound I'd say it's normal. Generally the tighter plug gaps required for the higher boost levels causing a popping or stuttering type sound at idle.

Usually a misfire throws a code as well.

NIL8U

Established Member
I guess I will find out when I test drive. I should be able to tell if it’s a misfire.

01yellercobra
Apparently that’s what tuner told current owner.

I’ve never owned a terminator so wasn’t too sure if it was normal.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I guess I will find out when I test drive. I should be able to tell if it’s a misfire.

01yellercobra
Apparently that’s what tuner told current owner.

I’ve never owned a terminator so wasn’t too sure if it was normal.

Another thing that contributes in the MAF. When I had the eaton I swapped to a BA3000 for a bit and that pop/stutter showed up. It wasn't bad and didn't kill the drivability. I spoke with someone else that did the same thing and he had the same issue pop up. We figured it was the MAF as I was still running stock injectors and an wide plug gap. I think it had something to do with the lower MAF resolution at the low end of the curve.

I will say that I'm currently running the BR7EF's at .028" and it doesn't do any of the popping. But I'm also not running a MAF anymore.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Another thing that contributes in the MAF. When I had the eaton I swapped to a BA3000 for a bit and that pop/stutter showed up. It wasn't bad and didn't kill the drivability. I spoke with someone else that did the same thing and he had the same issue pop up. We figured it was the MAF as I was still running stock injectors and an wide plug gap. I think it had something to do with the lower MAF resolution at the low end of the curve.

I will say that I'm currently running the BR7EF's at .028" and it doesn't do any of the popping. But I'm also not running a MAF anymore.
So the tighter the gap the more "popping" at idle? I'm experiencing this now with ngk tr6s v powers. And this is normal?

Users who are viewing this thread