KB 2.2L & Pulley Q

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
I guess I'm a little confused and need your help, that's what this site is for right. I want to eventually run the KB 2.2L now with that said what's the difference between the 6 rib & 8 rib, and what are people running for this...I was hoping to run about 15psi, and shoot for a mid 500 rwhp number...but I also see that they list on the site different crank pulleys...a 7.5 and a 6.5, now when someone says they have a 2,4,6,8 lb lower is this what they are referring to, or am I way off here...it also states on the site cobra R hood is required for clearance anyone know if the cowl style hood will work...thanks for any help on this guys.... :beer:

Taz

Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
I guess I'm a little confused and need your help, that's what this site is for right. I want to eventually run the KB 2.2L now with that said what's the difference between the 6 rib & 8 rib, and what are people running for this...I was hoping to run about 15psi, and shoot for a mid 500 rwhp number
The head unit comes with a 6-rib pulley, so it will work with all of your stock accessory pullies. If you want to run an 8-rib belt, you'll need to buy the 8-rib pulley kit and replace all of your stock pulleys with new ones. However, 15psi is nothing for the 2.2, so in all likelihood, you won't need an 8-rib setup.

...but I also see that they list on the site different crank pulleys...a 7.5 and a 6.5, now when someone says they have a 2,4,6,8 lb lower is this what they are referring to, or am I way off here
You're right on. That's what they're talking about - when you make the crank pulley bigger, it spins everything else faster.

...it also states on the site cobra R hood is required for clearance anyone know if the cowl style hood will work...thanks for any help on this guys.... :beer:
Yes, it will. A couple of guys are even running one of the Saleen hood models with the KB 2.2, and they work fine, as well. Any hood that gives you at least 2" more clearance above the engine will work fine.

Happy trails,

T-

:thumbsup:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Taz said:
Yes, it will. A couple of guys are even running one of the Saleen hood models with the KB 2.2, and they work fine, as well. Any hood that gives you at least 2" more clearance above the engine will work fine.

Happy trails,

T-

My 1.7L rubs something bad on my stock hood. I notched it but it still rubs some near the throttle cables

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Isn't the 2.2l the same price as the intercooled 1.7l? Just curious because I have always wanted to run a 2.2l.

Taz

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Isn't the 2.2l the same price as the intercooled 1.7l? Just curious because I have always wanted to run a 2.2l.

The 1.7L is delivered as a complete kit, right down to all the fasteners, fuel components, chip, etc. The 2.2L comes as a "tuner" kit. No chip, no fuel components, etc, so the price difference is much bigger than it looks.

T-

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you can order the 2.2 kit complete if one wishes though taz

Taz

Established Member
Double"O" said:
I'm pretty sure you can order the 2.2 kit complete if one wishes though taz

Not to my knowledge, and if you can it won't be at the price displayed on KB's website. I've explored that avenue.

T-

01yellercobra

Established Member
It says tuner kit right next to the 2.2 on their price list. Too bad it won't fit under a stock hood. I would love to run the 2.2, but I want to keep the stock look on the outside.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Well if the 2.2 is out of the question price wise how much would a 1.7 max out at if you had a built motor?

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Well if the 2.2 is out of the question price wise how much would a 1.7 max out at if you had a built motor?

14-15 PSI max, i would imagine the IAT would be waaaay high with the 1.7 compared to the 2.2L at that pressure

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
so how does a 4lb lower turn into a size I can understand...why not just use the actual measured size of the pulley like for the actual blower pulley

Taz

Established Member
Double"O" said:
14-15 PSI max, i would imagine the IAT would be waaaay high with the 1.7 compared to the 2.2L at that pressure

Ya, that's about the max boost you want to try for with the 1.7L screw. That'll put you up between 500 and 550. At that level, the 1.7 will indeed be considerably less efficient than the 2.2, which would just be loafing, BUT the 1.7, even at that boost level, will probably still be more efficient and provide a cooler intake charge (assuming you've popped for the intercooled kit, obviously) than the Heaton that Ford mounted on the Terminators.
:shrug:

If you'd be satisfied with less than 550 RWHP, then the 1.7L may be a viable alternative. AND, let me make this perfectly clear, 500 RWHP from a twin-screw setup feels NOTHING like 500 RWHP from a centri. No comparison. For a street car I'd take 500 HP from a screw over 600 HP from a centri ANY DAY.
:eek:

Just my considered opinion. I know the aftermarket world in general, and this forum in particular, are populated primarily by propeller heads, so pardon me while I step out now to slip into my Nomex suit ...

T-

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
so how does a 4lb lower turn into a size I can understand...why not just use the actual measured size of the pulley like for the actual blower pulley

The actual PSI increase that you'll see with a larger crank pulley will depend on the size of the blower you're running. Use the boost level calculator on my website to figure out how much more boost you'll get from a larger crank and/or small blower pulley.

T-

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i'm with taz i love the felling of instant power and TQ no having to wait with a Twin Screw

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Agreed here. After having a 2003 Cobra with the positive displacement blower, there's nothing like it.

Speaking in terms of blowers in general, once you go positive displacement you don't go with anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread