Kansas Speedway this weekend.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I took yesterday and today off work to get the car ready. Took every bit of both days. Someday I'll give up my procrastinating ways and get the car ready before the last minute. Nah who the hell am I kidding?

Cool dry weather forecasted, should be a great weekend of racing. I've been to both the grand am and this years ctscc races here. So I'm really looking fwd to driving this track.

They've added a bus stop to the back straight to slow cars down as they get up onto the nascar banking. It's really tight single file entry. Get it wrong and you eat a stack of tires.

Looks like four cars entered in American Iron.

wmfateam

Established Member
Be sure and get some pics of those AI cars and see what they have for suspension. Also photo and video of your's of course. Good luck and keep it on the asphalt!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Hammered the wall coming out of 3 on the infield. Car is done for. I'm ok. It was a bad hit. Not a good day. Shit happens.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I appreciate the replies. Most of the damage looks to be ahead of the strut towers but it folded the nose of the car over to the cars left really hard.

I had modified the tune to turn traction control off. I never told my tuner I didn't have a tc button in the car. I changed the rev limit to 7050 but out on track it was still hitting the limiter at 6k. This left me way out of sync on shifting and I should've come in. It was only a warm up session. I stayed out to get some laps under my belt. I went through the first set of turns off the banking which are 1-2-3. I finally got my braking and turn in right, hit my apexes and went to power out of 3. This swings you out wide to the right heading down the short infield straight to turn 4 paper clip.

As I came out of three I accelerated hard, had to lift to shift to 3rd and the ass end kicked out to the right on me. Sudden change of load on the loaded right rear tire and it broke loose. Car then went into a slow four wheel drift with the pass right rear coming around. I went across the track across the grass and hit the infield wall with the pass side front corner. Car then glanced off the wall and hit pass side rear corner.

Engine looks to be fine but is sitting at a slight angle. Left header collector is sitting much lower than normal. Everything structure wise in frot of the strut towers is hammered. I still had the stock foam and impact beam on the front of the car. The impact tore the impact beam off the car. I really think if I had removed these and gone with lighter dom tubing the impact would've damaged much more than it did.

I had my belts pulled down damn tight, even with the chicane in the back straight the track was fast. Fastest I've ever gone on track and I wasn't even pushing very hard, had to short shift at 6 so that left me shifting to 5th out of nascar 4.

I'm still feeling fine today. I'll build a new car. I like the new body style.

Last edited:

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
That's sucks. No other way to put it. Every time I leave the paddock, I know that this may be the car's last go around.

Post up some pics when you get a chance.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ya I'll get some pics up.

Went out this morning and started cutting out spot welds. Saw that the front cover is cracked on the pass side so the impact did get to the motor. I won't know how bad until I get the motor out.

I want to save this car, the further I go I keep finding more wrong which is to be expected.

I'd really like to buy a salvage '14 5.0 and build my next race car with the new platform.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
C794B82D-9C28-4CA7-B7D0-257F5091D134_zpsbgbcgyrx.jpg

BAB7D3F5-4D40-4191-9208-5994F579493A_zpszeauuioi.jpg

6DBD8BCF-0849-4F28-961A-5CA7F8EB09B1_zpsdvgmw0k6.jpg

Last edited:

WPBcobra

Established Member
ouch man. looks like u might be able to cut it off and fix it. My car has the same problem just not as bad

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ouch, glad you are OK.

What wheels/size were you running?

17x9 MB competitions bent the left front but it's repairable. Out of production and hard to find anymore.

ouch man. looks like u might be able to cut it off and fix it. My car has the same problem just not as bad

Ya possibly but I'm thinking about a coyote swap. I could repair it or buy a salvaged 14 GT. Sell off parts from my race car and sell off stock 14 GT parts to subsidize the build.

Have a brand new modern chassis and search for a few local sponsors.

Last edited:

Sirl

Established Member
Hurts to see those pics... Sorry again.

FWIW, If its feasible, I would most definitely go the Salvaged 11-14 route.
Your miles ahead before you even start. My .02

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
17x9 MB competitions bent the left front but it's repairable. Out of production and hard to find

That is what I thought/feared. Looks like they are the +17 offset versions too.. Thanks.

Any particular reason why you want a 14 GT? 13-14 are most desireable obviously, but for your purpose I'd think 11-14 would be OK?

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Hurts to see those pics... Sorry again.

FWIW, If its feasible, I would most definitely go the Salvaged 11-14 route.
Your miles ahead before you even start. My .02

Yeah it definitely sucks.

My thoughts exactly.

That is what I thought/feared. Looks like they are the +17 offset versions too.. Thanks.

Any particular reason why you want a 14 GT? 13-14 are most desireable obviously, but for your purpose I'd think 11-14 would be OK?

Damn good eye, I really don't know why MB quit making these, guess they weren't ricer enough.

Main reason is there is a '14 GT local to me that had a dash fire. Low mile, perfectly straight. Don't need a dash, might need a new harness depending on how the can bus wiring works in the new mustangs, only thing is its an auto, but I wouldn't use the auto or getrag trans anyways. Swap in a magnum and get down to business.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Catching up here. Sucks for sure. Tell us about your new build ideas! Year. Color. Motor. Etc.

Run some higher rebound in the rear next time maybe?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'll post more of my plans here this next week depending on how things go.

Car has an IRS w cobra r bilstein shocks, not much in the way of adjustable but I'll keep that in mind since I'll hopefully be going to a sra.

Users who are viewing this thread