Kandahar, Afghanistan

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
i was there in 2010 you goin to a FOB or the airfield? i would have brought a tarabyte(sp?) hard drive...tons and tons of songs and movies to be had. sand storms are pretty wicked so some sunglasses if you don't like the issued sh*t...other than that you can take me with you. oh and take some nose plugs for the stinky pond haha

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
I've been living on KAF for the last 11 months now. It isn't a bad base but its kind of chaotic and unorganized since its a NATO base. I'd recommend bringing a hard drive, trading TV series and movies is a good way to pass the time.
The poo pond is pretty brutal, especially at night.
Jets take off every 2-3 hours 24 hours a day. Its tough at first but you'll eventually be able to sleep through it.
Bring at least 2-3 pairs of earbuds/headphones. You will break/wear them out.

Cbarr300

Established Member
I was stationed on leatherneck and did a convoy to kabul. This is one of the bases we stopped at to rest/refuel. Gotta say it's an awesome base. You'll like your stay there. Im motor t and was always doing convoys...so i found that a power inverter was effin legit, and while i was over there you couldnt buy them frkm any px (we stopped at 5 bases on the way to kabul). Dont know your job, but if youre gonna be in trucks without house current its awesome
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

speedsun

Established Member
Poo pond sucks, bout it. Bring morale tho, I killed 3 months watching movies over there and playing my DS. MWR tents were usually overcrowded, so internet was a lil bit of a pain. I hear they set up a wifi thing now but I went in 2010 so its been a while.

Kcobra99

Established Member
Bring lots of gloves if you're going to be handling metal parts or tools that may be sitting out in the sun. I burned through a half dozen pairs of mechanix gloves in six months. I was vehicle recovery at the time so working on aircraft might be a lot easier on your hands.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
Hey brother, Im here now and Im pretty sure you will be replacing me here around spring time. Im weapons. Are you a crew chief, weapons or specs?

Yes bring any mobile media, hand held games, big hard drives or whatever. Its pretty well set up here if you are coming to where I am at. The living conditions arent bad either. PM if you have any questions as Im sure I can answer them in better detail. See ya soon.

usafimj

Established Member
Poo pond sucks, bout it. Bring morale tho, I killed 3 months watching movies over there and playing my DS. MWR tents were usually overcrowded, so internet was a lil bit of a pain. I hear they set up a wifi thing now but I went in 2010 so its been a while.

Cool. Yea I'll be taking some online classes to stay busy. PSP, computer, iPad, and portable game center with ps3 will be coming with me.

Bring lots of gloves if you're going to be handling metal parts or tools that may be sitting out in the sun. I burned through a half dozen pairs of mechanix gloves in six months. I was vehicle recovery at the time so working on aircraft might be a lot easier on your hands.2

Wouldn't think you'd go through gloves that fast. Ive learned my lesson touching jets sitting in the sun.

Hey brother, Im here now and Im pretty sure you will be replacing me here around spring time. Im weapons. Are you a crew chief, weapons or specs?

Yes bring any mobile media, hand held games, big hard drives or whatever. Its pretty well set up here if you are coming to where I am at. The living conditions arent bad either. PM if you have any questions as Im sure I can answer them in better detail. See ya soon.

I'm fuel shop not POL. Yea I think we'll be replacing you in a few months. Rumors are going around that we'll be extending 2-3 months.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Take a WD MyPassport 2TB drive. get two if you can afford it. one for back-up. take your own laptop.

Cbarr300

Established Member
True you will want digital storage. You're gonna get more movies and shit than you knew existed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ny50nv

SVT Rook
Plenty of time to get into great shape. I was there in 09 and came back in 10. It only seems to be getting worse IMHO. The place is so big and it being NATO I think the chowhalls suck. I am currently here at one of the FOBS and it is pretty awesome. Great to sit back work and make some money though.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Where you at? I am on Fenty. not a bad gig. only complaint I have in comparison with Iraq is my living space. other than that is it either the same or better

usafimj

Established Member
Bringing this back. I'll be leaving in about 2wks. Bought a 2TB HD, some ps3 games, getting my stuff ready. What are the living conditions like? Can you get workout supplements easy?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Bringing this back. I'll be leaving in about 2wks. Bought a 2TB HD, some ps3 games, getting my stuff ready. What are the living conditions like? Can you get workout supplements easy?

they aren't as bad as some have made it out to be IMHO. don't know abot KAF tho I assume you are still going there. here on fenty we have been hit about one a month since I have been here. but again compared to other places I have been that aint bad either.

supplements can be had. every PX I have been in has had shelves full of that shit. and it is easily ordered if you can't find what you want. Mail to here has been 7 days or less.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
they aren't as bad as some have made it out to be IMHO. don't know abot KAF tho I assume you are still going there. here on fenty we have been hit about one a month since I have been here. but again compared to other places I have been that aint bad either.

supplements can be had. every PX I have been in has had shelves full of that shit. and it is easily ordered if you can't find what you want. Mail to here has been 7 days or less.

You got pics!

TexasRoe

Devil Dog
Established Member
Dude,

Honeslty just take cash and catch someone leaving and buy all their crap. Its like being stateside at KAF. Gyms, supplements and women. If you forget you can buy it there or order online and get it in about a week. Have fun. Ill be out in Helmand in a few weeks as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread