Kaenen wing issues

Rev Happy

Established Member
Has anyone else had trouble aligning the holes on the wing with those on the trunk? I couldn't get them to align perfectly and now one of the top holes on the wing is stripped after trying to screw the bolt in.:cuss: Doesn't really make sense because the wing itself sits perfectly on the car.

286125.jpg

286126.jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Can't comment on the having problems with a Kaenen wing as mine is a Saleen piece but this is a good example of why I put studs in my wing instead of using bolts.

Real nice looking car though! Looks like it has an IRS in it?

amorrow

Established Member
I had the same problem. Mine too fit perfectly against the decklid, but the holes were not properly aligned. They sent me a replacement (although never reimbursed me for shipping as promised), and the new wing fit perfectly fine. I'd request a replacement to avoid reworking your defective wing. But for future reference, always test-fit body parts before painting.

Last edited:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
MIne fit perfect. Luck of the draw with aftermarket parts i guess.

svtguy0093

Established Member
Has anyone else had trouble aligning the holes on the wing with those on the trunk? I couldn't get them to align perfectly and now one of the top holes on the wing is stripped after trying to screw the bolt in.:cuss: Doesn't really make sense because the wing itself sits perfectly on the car.

286125.jpg

286126.jpg

Where can i order that wing?

amorrow

Established Member
Doesn't really make sense because the wing itself sits perfectly on the car.

I imagine Kaenen installs the mounting threads after the wing itself is formed, and I wonder if there are no pilots or indicators in the mold itself instructing where to drill. This could explain while their mold is capable of consistently producing properly-shaped wings, an opportunity for error still exists when installing the mounting holes.

I was promised the second wing they shipped me would be test-fitted prior to shipment. So considering the second wing they sent me fit against the car just as the first one did, but the holes were aligned precisely with my decklid holes unlike the first wing, it implies either their tolerances are not tight enough wrt bolt pattern, or they simply shipped defective wings in a couple instances.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Kaenan is far superior to all the others. 1 or 2 bad ones is forgiveable. Can you simply elongate the trunk holes a hair to make it fit, or is it way off.

amorrow

Established Member
Kaenan is far superior to all the others. 1 or 2 bad ones is forgiveable.

I agree, Kaenen does make the highest-quality S281 I'm aware of, given the bolt holes are aligned properly. But considering feedback you've read or heard is just a sample of Kaenen sales, and three instances of improper hole alignment were mentioned on this forum, they've almost certainly shipped more defective wings.

Anyway....Rev Happy, if you have a significant amount invested in paint and prep on the wing you have now, your best bet is to simply open up the hole(s) in your decklid, and re-tap the mounting hole in your wing if it is stripped or cross-threaded. However, if you don't have much invested in the wing, or you consider it unacceptable to modify your decklid, request a replacement. Kaenen may be unwilling to accept your return since the wing is painted, but I'd argue the fact it's painted is honestly irrelevant to them, considering the type of defect. After all, I doubt it's in their best interest to devote the time and effort to perform such a relatively involved rework procedure on a part they sell for only $200, and more than likely have much less invested in it.

Hopefully your wing is not as misaligned as mine was. With the minimal room for adjustment these wings have, this was the closest I was able to get it. Luckily past experiences with my '65 taught me to test fit before taking it to the body shop!

KaenenS281Wing1.jpg

Rev Happy

Established Member
Thankfully, my wing wasn't off that much. Although that one hole is stripped, the bolt is threaded over half way in and the wing is secure and leveled flat on the car. For now I'm just going to leave it, but eventually I'll open up that one hole on the trunk lid and re-tap the hole on the wing. I should have test fitted it before paint, but honestly I've never heard anyone having problems in mounting these wings.

Where can i order that wing?

Got mine from this guy... Saleen s 281 wing 94 95 96 97 98 Ford Mustang by Kaenen:eBay Motors (item 130306381504 end time Jun-12-09 18:33:08 PDT)

Tabres said:
Real nice looking car though! Looks like it has an IRS in it?

Thanks, and ya, I put an 03 Cobra IRS in it last year.

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
I had no issues with mine, but you should always test fit aftermarket parts prior to paint.

But the car looks great!!

ARdoller

Established Member
i just bolted one side down, and stretched the "arm" of the spoiler the extra 1/2" to line up correctly. the spoiler had enough play in it to be able to stretch/bend it slightly without any damage to the paint or material.

ARdoller

Established Member
the biggest frustration with mine, was that unlike the stock spoiler, there were no studs already on the spoiler, so its not like you could just pop it in the holes then just throw some nuts on the underside.... it made it a little more difficult having to hold it in place, and use some 1/4-20x1/2 bolts and washer to hold it on.

Users who are viewing this thread