K&N vs. Green Filter

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I doubt you'll see performance gains from the green, but the benefit appears to be more hearty construction that will withstand damage better from removal and cleaning, etc.

I may pick up a couple since I'm putting the '13 back together and do some sort of comparison to the K&Ns.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
If you go to places like Detroit Diesel or Cummins, all the engines in their test cells use cotton/wire/oil air filters.

Not in the facilities I've been in. Usually the same type of Donaldsonor other filters used by OEMs. There's no oiled type filters to be found. I can't recall any that meet their filtration specifications.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I have done numerous tests while running the K&N on my oil and the silicon (dirt) content is very low. So if K&N lets all the crap through, then it must be magically disappearing.

That being said, the edge have chipped off (it is a panel filter) K and N sent a replacement no questions asked. I just told them where purchased from.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I just switched to the AEM dryflows myself. Made by K&N, but don’t require oil, so they are MAF friendly and the filter media looks much improved. Been running one on the Focus ST and Lightning for a few months now. I have heard a lot of people complain about the Green filters falling apart, or disintegrating after less than a year or so which is why I went with the AEM. So far no complaints here.

I just got one of these AEM Dry Flow filters for my 2.8 Colorado and its a very well made air filter. So far no downsides to the synthetic media versus the cotton style of the K&N.

ZEN357

Established Member
Here is a comparison chart of filters. I also contacted their company to see what material the frame was made out of and they said stainless steel so it will not rust.

Green_Filter.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread