K&N rough idle

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
I recenlty installed the K&N FIPK II. Since then I occasionally I have noticed if I push in the clutch and roll to a stop the idle drops and the car acts like it wants to stall. It has not stalled but the RPM's drop to around 500 and fluctuates between 500 and 750 before finally staying at 750. Anybody else have this problem or might have a suggestion about how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

03outlaw

Established Member
My buddy had the same problem

I know this is not much help, but he had the same problem only his would stall. I have had mine on for a good while and do not have those problems. Maybe the cal. of the MAS. Also did you drill the hole and use the side bracket?

03outlaw

Established Member
He did not either

You know I am as picky as they come with my car, so don't know why I drilled the hole, but I did and I have had no issues. He did not drill and had a lot of trouble to the point that he took it off and went back to his steeda. With that being said, just a wonder if that would have anything to do with it? Maybe some kind of vib or slight tilt? I am sure someone may come along and slap this theory down, but thought I might mention the similarities :shrug:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
2004BlackCobra said:
No I did not drill the side bracket. I only bolted the shield to the radiator. I did not feel like drilling into the side of my engine compartment.

Why not? There are a whole host of drilled/cut openings already there. Put a little grease/oil on the screw when you run it through the hole and it won't rust. I would rather ensure the shield was stable and not flopping around under the hood.

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I have considered re-drilling the heat shield to allow me to rotate the MAF back to the original position at 10:00 clock. Not sure if this will help. :shrug:

bones

Established Member
Just a few suggestions (You may have already done these but you didn't say):
Check that the K&N gasket is sealing tight.
Did you remove the MAF screen when installing the K&N? You have to even though the instructions don't mention it.
Check that the MAF wires are clean. Don't touch them. Just spray them with electronic contact cleaner.

I didn't drill the fender hole and mine is working fine for over 7000 miles. I also left the MAF in the K&N position.

03mach1&03cobra

Established Member
I have had problems with my 03 Mach1...When I installed the K&N in my car it used to stall almost every time I put my foot on the clutch. I got my car re-tuned at a ford dealership and have not had any problems since....you could try doing that, it's cheaper than getting a MAF.

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
bones said:
Did you remove the MAF screen when installing the K&N? You have to even though the instructions don't mention it.
Check that the MAF wires are clean. Don't touch them. Just spray them with electronic contact cleaner.

I didn't drill the fender hole and mine is working fine for over 7000 miles. I also left the MAF in the K&N position.

I checked all the connections and it appears that everything is tight. Yes the screen is removed, I do not see how you could keep it in :shrug: . This idle issue started right away, so is it possible that the MAF wires are having a problem already. Thanks for the reply.

Blackie

I have a K&N Aricharger on my car and although the instructions don't say to, or not to remove it, I left my MAF screen in. A lot of people have issues with their cars stalling w/o the screen (while some don't have problems at all), I decided to leave mine in. I had a '01 Cobra intake with a drop-in K&N for 15,000 of my car's 18,500 miles (with the screen) and had no issues at all...so why mess with it? I just left the screen on and have had no issues at all since installing my Aircharger.
Good luck...

GotGrunt

Established Member
bones said:

Same here. It works flawlessly. No screen and no fender bracket.

I had the same issues you are describing but mine would stall though. I took the FIPK off and reassembled it making sure everything was tight and sealing, cleaned the MAF with electronics cleaner and also cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner. You can't make it stall now. It has a rock solid idle and I don't even have the reflash done :rockon:

Last edited:

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
GotGrunt said:
Same here. It works flawlessly. No screen and no fender bracket.

I had the same issues you are describing but mine would stall though. I took the FIPK off and reassembled it making sure everything was tight and sealing, cleaned the MAF with electronics cleaner and also cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner. You can't make it stall now. It has a rock solid idle and I don't even have the reflash done :rockon:

Can you tell me where the IAC is located. I think I may try exactly what you did and see what happens. Where is a good place to get the electronics cleaner for the MAF wires. Thanks.

GotGrunt

Established Member
2004BlackCobra said:
Can you tell me where the IAC is located. I think I may try exactly what you did and see what happens. Where is a good place to get the electronics cleaner for the MAF wires. Thanks.
The IAC is located right on top of the TB. Undo the electrical connector and remove the 2 bolts and it's off in under a minute. I got the electrical cleaner from autozone. Let us know how it works out :beer:

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Make sure all the bolts are tight again. Even if you know they are tight. If you haven't done so go to the dealer and get the stall flash. I installed mine just like the instructions and got the stall flash. It still stalled occasionally. Retightened all the bolts and clamps and no she runs like a champ. Good luck.

addicted2boost

Established Member
Mine has this same rough idling problem. It has even stalled once (in 4000 miles). It was only after I read threads like these that I thought it might be my K&N causing this. Mine is drilled into the fender and it still has a problem. It shouldnt be a problem with the stock tune because my car is a '04. On Wednesday I am getting a new SCT MAF to go with my pulley/tune. This will help me determine if it is my MAF that is my problem or if it is just the position the K&N puts it in.

Users who are viewing this thread