K&N FIPK II - Filter has a hole ???

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Today I removed the K&N FIPK II filter from my car to clean it up, and to my surprise I found a hole in it. The outter mesh is ok, but the filter inside looks burnt. I didn't notice before because the hole was in the back side.

Filter has almost 3 years and I have cleaned it up a few times using the K&N Kit (deagreser & oil).

Here are a few pics:

Car is running great.

:??::??::??:

What can cause this?

Do I need to replace the filter, right? Can I order only the filter?

Thanks!

wheelhopper

Established Member
Don't they have a million mile warranty? You should get a new one for free. But, for the $ it may not even be worth the hassle of trying to get a freebie.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I agree about just getting another, but I should would want to know what caused it!!!

Last edited:

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Can I run the car like that for a few days until I get a replacement? I don't think it will harm the engine.

I would like to know what caused that. Maybe too little or too much oil when I cleaned it last time?

beabout

Established Member
It looks like media failure. that is to say the bonding of the media (gray fuzzy stuff) failed. As to cause, don't have clue.. K&N should pony up and replace it... get in touch with them and let us know what happens...

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Can I run the car like that for a few days until I get a replacement? I don't think it will harm the engine.

I would like to know what caused that. Maybe too little or too much oil when I cleaned it last time?

I dunno about that, to me once it starts to rip, more peices will comes off alot easier and get sucked into your engine...

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Didn't find it locally so I placed the order @ Summit $56. Will get here on Thursday. :)

I also wrote an email to K&N. If they send me another, I will keep it just in case it happens again, or maybe I can sell it.

I will let you know K&N's response.

Thanks for all your replies.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Didn't find it locally so I placed the order @ Summit $56. Will get here on Thursday. :)

I also wrote an email to K&N. If they send me another, I will keep it just in case it happens again, or maybe I can sell it.

I will let you know K&N's response.

Thanks for all your replies.

Knowing K&N there going to want to see that filter. Don't throw it away. They'll probably send you a box with a UPS label to return it to them.

Users who are viewing this thread