K&N FIPK delay

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Well, from exhaustive reading up on this subject, I would personally say that ANY of the CAI's are going to make a good gain in HP. I would stay away from the K&N FIPK for a few reasons. They get their numbers on a dyno with the hood open and a fan blowing on it. Many of my friends that have F-Body cars told me to stay away from the FIPK because once you close the hood on that thing you will lose HP BIGTIME!!! Just a suggestion, but I would stick with ANY of the "meter on a stick" CAI's that are out there. Amazon, PHP, Steeda, JLP, are some good ones just to name a few off the top of my head.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Once u get a K&N stock replacement & silencer removed its good for 12 - 15 or so HP & TQ to the Wheels.

As Solid said, u got more then 1 choice to go for.

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the help, please forgive the ignorance, but what causes the loss in hp when the hood is closed. Lack of air flow? I would think that this would be an obvious thing for the folks at K&N to consider and test for. i.e. results w/open -- results w/closed...if there's that much of a difference w/the performance level what are they trying to do? We don't drive w/our hoods open :shrug:

Maybe I'll look at the Amazon cai. I've read some pretty positive comments on their products.

Ktee

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
I have no idea how K&N does their research. I believe that the FIPK is a "dyno queen" CAI set-up. I know for a fact that when you close the hood on the F-Body cars that the air is harder to get into the intake anyway. Ever see the way an F-Body car breathes? No wonder the RamAir set-up they have gives the car that much more H.P.. the FIPK set up is a fully enclosed air filter sitting in a valley. When the hood is closed, it cuts off air flow dramatically. I believe it to be a design flaw. Also, keep in mind that there are some CAI's that "look" like they don't make the H.P. on the dyno, but really shine at the track. A controlled dyno test can't simulate a car driving down the dragstrip at over 110 mph no matter how the test is done. Stick with Amazon, I just switched to my 3rd CAI, and my final choice is Amazon.

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
I ordered the Amazon CAI and should get it early this week. I had a great talk w/Linn at Amazon about options. Based on her feedback and those on the board, I think I've made a good choice.

Thanks for the help!

Ktee:)

Users who are viewing this thread