k-member, long tubes installed

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
well my tubular k-member, a-arms, coil overs, and long tubes are installed. now I have a metal to metal beating noise at the drivers side front. Don't have a clue what it is. I have checked everything. any idea's? It only happens when I hit a bump. Sounds like it is coming from where the strut goes up into the body.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
make sure that the nut holding the strut at the strut tower under the hood is tight. that's exactly what happened to my friend with his GT.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
1999 Rio Red Cobra
- Stiegemeier Stage IV Eaton w/ 3.65" pulley(8 psi) -
- JLT Ram Air Intake - LFP heat exchanger -
- Solid axle w/ 3.73's - Aluminum DS - Magnapack catback -
12.64 @ 112.60(1.92 60')
470 rwhp/402 rwtq

How do you have this much power and run such a high time?

VNEMUS

Established Member
snake_01 said:
well my tubular k-member, a-arms, coil overs, and long tubes are installed. now I have a metal to metal beating noise at the drivers side front. Don't have a clue what it is. I have checked everything. any idea's? It only happens when I hit a bump. Sounds like it is coming from where the strut goes up into the body.

I recently had coilovers installed and I occasionally get a clunking noise when hitting bumps at various speeds. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it doesn't sound good. I'm running the Maximum Motorsport's coilover kit with Bilstein street-valved struts, 325lb 10" Hypercoil front springs and 550lb 8" Hypercoil springs in the rear.

I too thought maybe the strut bolts and/or caster/camber plates weren't tight, but that wasn't the case. The shop that installed the new suspension told me it was the result of the springs separating from the perches. I called Maximum Motorsports myself and confirmed this was a common issue others have noted, mainly due to a firmer set-up than recommended for an average dailey driver/street car.

Another possibility is that the bushings you're running in the new a-arms may not dampen or deflect the kind of noise that is generated when going over bumps. I've heard the Delrin bushings can be noiser than stock bushings.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
KingCobra10Sec said:
1999 Rio Red Cobra
12.64 @ 112.60(1.92 60')
470 rwhp/402 rwtq

Instant boost + instant TQ + 4.10s = Pedal fest without a good tire and or track prep

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
KingCobra10Sec said:
1999 Rio Red Cobra
12.64 @ 112.60(1.92 60')
470 rwhp/402 rwtq

have you driven your car on the track yet??? not always as easy to get great times with big power as it seems....believe it or not that was on my 3rd time out with this setup. i am very happy with that time cosidering the 80% humidity that night. i know it's got at least a couple of tenths still. i am a little dissapopinted that i'm not running the 12.0's that Double "O" is running. air quality and elevation(have no idea what gateway is) play a big role in times. for reference, a stock 03/04 ran a 12.98 w/ a 1.82 60' that same night. also, power is not what gives low et's, it's torque. notice my torque number....

thanks for chiming in Double"O". actually this past time out i had 3.73's in. that helped out a bit, but not as much as i was hoping....

Last edited:

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
how does the car ride w/ the k-member?

rides good. it feels no different than before except when I hit a bump and I have a metal to metal noise coming from somewhere where the caster/camber plate is.

snakebite72

Established Member
yo snake!!! did you install the small round spacer between the C/C plate and the coil over????

snakebite72

Established Member
oil filter relocation with granatelli k member....
100_0221.jpg

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
snakebite72 said:
yo snake!!! did you install the small round spacer between the C/C plate and the coil over????

i believe so but on the side that makes the noise my cousin was working on that side and he drilled the thing out so that it slipped right on and i pressed my side on, so that could be the problem.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Hey just checking to see if you got the problem fixed yet?

99rio, I think your car would launch easier than a torqued up '03-04. I don't really agree with your torque to run low numbers statement. I've seen cars run pretty quick without any big numbers in hp or tq. I'm not hatin' on ya, 'cause I love what you have done with your car, I'm just giving my opinon of what I have seen.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
okay, i've got the UPR piece and its just off enough to where i have to lift the motor slightly to get it on and off.

I think its because one of my motor mounts is bad and is sagging so much....

Users who are viewing this thread