K-member kits

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
since I recently got some long tubes for the car. I decided to go ahead and do the tubular k-member kit. What is the best to use? I was thinking about the UPR kit. Which one requires you to relocate the oil filter?

Thanks

03cobramanIII

Banned
im subbing.

upr the cheapest they got i think?
they got the m/m
anthony jones one
gratinellie
plus many more

i would like to know also. what the best , and least mods needs to be done to install one.

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Anyone???
I found a pretty good deal on a AJE k-member but it is just that,not the kit. I'm not familiar with them at all. Does it move the front wheels to the front any? What about relocating the oil filter?

Dsg302Snake

Established Member
I have an MM and I just used a slightly shorter filter and it fit so I didnt need a relocation kit and this is on an 03 cobra

GHIG RTR

Banned
I believe the UPR doesn't require you to relocate the oil filter. That's the one I'm ordering from LethalPerfomance tomorrow. :)

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
since I recently got some long tubes for the car. I decided to go ahead and do the tubular k-member kit. What is the best to use? I was thinking about the UPR kit. Which one requires you to relocate the oil filter?

Thanks

For a straight replacement (non Griggs or Agent 47) the MM probably has the most miles and abuse on its record. Until another vendor produces one that has road racing proof of abuse they will contuniue to get my $$$.

Just my $.02. What do you plan to do with it?

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
For a straight replacement (non Griggs or Agent 47) the MM probably has the most miles and abuse on its record. Until another vendor produces one that has road racing} proof of abuse they will contuniue to get my $$$.

Just my $.02. What do you plan to do with it?

Straight replacement? They all require more then just the k-member. Lower arms, coil-overs, cc plates, springs etc are all reqirements. MM will also require relocating the oil filter, Griggs does not. My point is that the Griggs Strut system is as
much of a "straight replacement" as anyone else's system, and it can be upgraded to a SLA system.

As far as race history, Griggs has been in the business longer then anyone that produces k-members and they have the race records/Wins across the country to prove it. While their SLA system has only been on the market for a few years it has proven it's self already. Take a look at the NASA Pro Racing American Iron track records in Texas, John George set all of them in a Griggs strut equiped car. The next year he upgraded to the SLA system and destroyed his own records.

Patrick

03cobramanIII

Banned
This one looks nice and complete, and the price isn't too bad:
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cnltf.htm
NEVER BUY FROM RPM OUTLET! crappy service, and tech support , and to mention if you got to retune something, is almost impossible with ther email return service . do a search im not the only one. it took me over 100 days to get a refund! no cash refunds. they sell mostly bad defeactive stuff from overseas.
i will buy somewhere else ,the same part, for even more somewhere else. then to get the tun around by them. moto - blue is crap! sure everything else they sell is too. imo.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Straight replacement? They all require more then just the k-member. Lower arms, coil-overs, cc plates, springs etc are all reqirements. MM will also require relocating the oil filter, Griggs does not. My point is that the Griggs Strut system is as
much of a "straight replacement" as anyone else's system, and it can be upgraded to a SLA system.

As far as race history, Griggs has been in the business longer then anyone that produces k-members and they have the race records/Wins across the country to prove it. While their SLA system has only been on the market for a few years it has proven it's self already. Take a look at the NASA Pro Racing American Iron track records in Texas, John George set all of them in a Griggs strut equiped car. The next year he upgraded to the SLA system and destroyed his own records.

Patrick

I made the assumption that when he used the word kit in his post, he planned to purchase more than just the k-member. Since he is installing long tubes I also made the assumption that he was planning to drop the stock K and replace it at that time.

I was not intending to slight Grigg's, nor their racing history. That being said, I still prefer MM as you clearly prefer Griggs. In fairness I forgot about the Grigg's replacement K-member. I've never run into anybody with one. All the folks I've met or talked to that run Grigg's have the SLA. :beer:

Thanks,

Steve

speedybolt

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
I want to do what ever is going to be easiest at the time of the headers install. I am for sure going to replace the stock k-member butI might as well do the whole kit while Im at it. Doesn't the MM k-member kit move the wheels forward?

moonltgold

I want to do what ever is going to be easiest at the time of the headers install. I am for sure going to replace the stock k-member butI might as well do the whole kit while Im at it. Doesn't the MM k-member kit move the wheels forward?

Yes. MM moves wheels forward 3/4" or 1.5" depending on whether you go standard A arms or offsets, as well as increasing track by 1/4" each side. I believe the Griggs pushes the front wheels forward 1" with no increase in track width. That said, the Griggs should approximate the MM 1.5 inch K system for weight redistribution because the Griggs K is lighter, and doesn't have the extra weight of the oil relo kit (more hardware, more oil with bigger filter). Also, the MM 1.5 inch K will probably require inner fender modifications, while the 3/4 MM or the Griggs will not.

If you are looking for more room around your headers/easier access, look to Griggs.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.

Thanks
Argueably, the most popular K member kit out right now for the 03/04' Cobras are the UPR models. The newer versions have much improved fit, finish, and quality over the origianl model, and the $699 price tag has also made it a popular choice. I have one on my Cobra with Strange Engineering adjustable front struts and I'm saving 65 lbs off the front end and have front end height adjustability with the coil overs and tons more room for working down there and having access for long tube header installs. It does not require oil filter relocation, although I did have to purchase a shorter filter from WalMart. The Mobil 1 filters are also a tad shorter and can be used when necessary here.

I have about 1,000 miles on mine now and there are a couple of new minor creaks and noises. I would also say that this kit is more designed for straight line performance and as a weight reduction tool, and would probably not be ideal for those fellas that want to go road racing. The Maximum Motorsports and Griggs K members are much more suitable for this kind of usage and are sturdier, more meatier and obviously weigh more.

03cobramanIII

Banned
mine on my 83 gt i have a groundpounder unit , whan they first came out ,it moved the wheels forward so much more on the left side ,i had to trim the front fender lip. cause my skinnies where rubbing on it. i really didn't want to do that.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
if you want to race it on a track go with MM or Griggs
stay away from granatelli
if you want to drag race then go with a UPR kit or PA Racing

Users who are viewing this thread