Just wondered? Radar Proof?

my69camaro1

Established Member
New to site... But anyway..

Northern Indiana.....

Like a month ago I was on I80 (toll road) and got pulled over in a 01 grandpa caddy along with a newer white audi. Yep, two cars... I was following the audi. Cop was coming from the other way (over a hill), spun around, past me up and pulled the audi over then got out of his car and ran into the road motioning me to pull over.

Speed limit is 70mph, he started off with "I have you on radar at 95 racing along with the audi" I say show me the radar and he says no he doesn't have too.. Then goes off saying who do you think the judge will believe, you or me..

So, I end up getting a ticket stating I was in a group of 2 doing 90mph..

Question being, if asked do they have to show you the radar? Otherwise, if he has no proof isn't it innocent until proven guilty?

Ticket is $136.50

Just wondered if it was worth going into court for or if I'm stuck...

Great thanks, Awsome site.... Been floating around for a month and finally signed up.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
New to site... But anyway..

Northern Indiana.....

Like a month ago I was on I80 (toll road) and got pulled over in a 01 grandpa caddy along with a newer white audi. Yep, two cars... I was following the audi. Cop was coming from the other way (over a hill), spun around, past me up and pulled the audi over then got out of his car and ran into the road motioning me to pull over.

Speed limit is 70mph, he started off with "I have you on radar at 95 racing along with the audi" I say show me the radar and he says no he doesn't have too.. Then goes off saying who do you think the judge will believe, you or me..

So, I end up getting a ticket stating I was in a group of 2 doing 90mph..

Question being, if asked do they have to show you the radar? Otherwise, if he has no proof isn't it innocent until proven guilty?

Ticket is $136.50

Just wondered if it was worth going into court for or if I'm stuck...

Great thanks, Awsome site.... Been floating around for a month and finally signed up.:thumbsup:

No, the officer is not required to show you their radar. You are innocent until proven guilty. A ticket is an allegation. If you agree with the allegation you pay the ticket and thus admit your guilt. If you dont agree with the allegation you to court and the officer will have to prove the allegation.

In court you can ask him to produce the calibration records for the radar unit and his valid operators certificate. The readout is something he will testify to. Even if he were to show you a radar reading there is no way for you to know it was a reading of your vehicle or even current. If the officer isnt credible that is something you should prove.

The funny thing is that you never denied the charge, so I will take it that you were doing 90 mph.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Most officers, from what I understand, won't show you the radar.

It's not a "I don't care if you believe me" thing. It's a "I don't want you to shoot me while we're walking back to my car thing".

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
how can you be following someone doing that kinda speed and him be able to get in front of the both of yall pull the other car over get out and get you, distance traveled in time doesnt add up, think you outta fight that one

FordSVTFan

Established Member
how can you be following someone doing that kinda speed and him be able to get in front of the both of yall pull the other car over get out and get you, distance traveled in time doesnt add up, think you outta fight that one

Are you kidding? The OP saw the cop turn around so he slowed down and distanced himself from the Audi. The Audi kept going, still creating distance, and got pulled over with plenty of room to signal the OP. :bored:

ZChaos0026

Established Member

It's not a "I don't care if you believe me" thing. It's a "I don't want you to shoot me while we're walking back to my car thing".

quoted for truth!!!!!

to the OP. 136$ for 20 over aint bad. youd have a 266$ fine if i had stopped you. and sounds like he gave you a bit of a break of 5 mph off. that could be a fine step for them...like 21+ over is a bigger fine.

and yes, in case you havent read other posts, we have moving and stationary modes and both opposite and same direction capabilities with our radar. so a cop coming the opposite way over a hill has ample opportunity to hit you. since the radar travels faster than you can react, the number will be on his counting unit before you see him and begin to slow.

9BABCobra8

Established Member
Ticket is cheap as hell, pay it and be done with it.

lol i thought $96 for 20 over sucked
well maybe the $100 lawyer + the new $189 defective equipment...

quoted for truth!!!!!

to the OP. 136$ for 20 over aint bad. youd have a 266$ fine if i had stopped you. and sounds like he gave you a bit of a break of 5 mph off. that could be a fine step for them...like 21+ over is a bigger fine.

and yes, in case you havent read other posts, we have moving and stationary modes and both opposite and same direction capabilities with our radar. so a cop coming the opposite way over a hill has ample opportunity to hit you. since the radar travels faster than you can react, the number will be on his counting unit before you see him and begin to slow.

i think some of the new units can do up to eight cars at the same time...

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
If you feel you were not speeding go to court. You have the chance to present your side so take it. You may also attempt to plead guilty and hope for a reduction on the fine/points or plead not guilty and hope you get the ticket dropped or reduced. People who tell you to just pay it are giving you bad advice I think you should go to court as you do not want points on your license. Get your driver record before you go as well and if it is clean you may get offered to take a drivers improvement class….take it and move on

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
When I read the Original Post, the first thing that crossed my mind was this- does an officer HAVE to have it on Radar, anyway? I always thought that an officer was required to have enough skill to estimate your speed within a certain range, like +- 5 or 10 mph. If this is true, then the officer doesn't have to get you on radar at all, and could still issue you a ticket based on his eyeball measurement of speed.

Does this make sense? Can an officer give you a ticket based on his estimation without having actual radar proof? If so then asking to see the radar is a moot point.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
An officer makes a visual estimate of the offender's speed and then confirms it with radar. A ticket can be issued without the use of radar.

Headhunter

Established Member
An officer makes a visual estimate of the offender's speed and then confirms it with radar. A ticket can be issued without the use of radar.

The law interests me as I am a student of it. The officer is trained to make visual estimates but if he doesn't confirm with radar isn't it more likely to be thrown out? I see where you said confirms with radar so I was just curious of how the ticket would hold up without in court. Guess it depends on judge and the situation. Only asking because you seem to have alot of knowledge on these issues. Not trying to start a battle or anything brother, just curious.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
The law interests me as I am a student of it. The officer is trained to make visual estimates but if he doesn't confirm with radar isn't it more likely to be thrown out? I see where you said confirms with radar so I was just curious of how the ticket would hold up without in court. Guess it depends on judge and the situation. Only asking because you seem to have alot of knowledge on these issues. Not trying to start a battle or anything brother, just curious.

Without the RADAR confirmation, it boils down in court to the officer's ability to articulate his training/skill & observations. Speeding tickets to get "won" in court many times without the backup of having RADAR confirmation.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

You are a law student? What law school do you attend?

The visual estimate without radar is as strong, if not stronger, than a radar ticket. Police officers who are certified to shoot radar are first tested to determine that they can estimate speed visually within, usually, a +/-3 mph deviation.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Is it possible to go to the courthouse, ask for a diversion and pay double to keep it off your record?

Headhunter

Established Member
You are a law student? What law school do you attend?

The visual estimate without radar is as strong, if not stronger, than a radar ticket. Police officers who are certified to shoot radar are first tested to determine that they can estimate speed visually within, usually, a +/-3 mph deviation.

Currently trying to study and get accepted at LSU. My grandmother studied and passed ber exam on her own while working for a firm here in LA. I help out at Cardensas and Saunders hoping that they will help me if all goes right. This stuff is expensive.

Digital

Established Member

Arent you going to walk back to write the ticket anyways... if someone was going to cap you wouldent they do it when you walked up the first time?
Isnt that why you guys always walk back up all regular and non-hardass the second time?

Users who are viewing this thread