Just swapped to AED...

helli217

Established Member
Yep, another one of these threads.

I went from BAMA to AED.

Firstly, a disclaimer: I don't nutswing. I am sure there are other great Coyote tuners, as the many great reviews on this site would suggest. I am only posting my experience with the tunes I have had. This review is completely unbiased, and I chose to try Shaun's tune due to the overwhelming number of happy customers and the reviews of his level of care and customer service.

My experienced was no different.

Car: 2011 GT/CS MT-82, 3.73, only AIRAID right now.

BAMA: I bought the SF3 tuner with 3 tunes from BAMA when my car was stock power wise. I ran the 93 Race tune. I was happy with the noticeable (quite healthy) bump in power. The car felt very strong compared to stock. The drivability on the other hand suffered. The throttle was extra touchy at all RPM, especially down low while trying to roll in traffic or move around parking lots. Overall, it proved difficult to drive the car smoothly, and the idle was rougher than stock. There was no doubt that it made more power than stock, but drivability was basically in the toilet. I only drove about 100 miles on this tune. I then added the AIRAID, and ordered 3 retunes from BAMA. This yielded the same result, power there, crap drivability.

To be fair, I never sent logs to BAMA. But, this was because 99% of the reviews I had read of BAMA stated that their revisions didn't fix issues or alleviate concerns. If I was going to datalog and revise, I was going to choose another tuner.

AED: I contacted Shaun 3 days ago and let him know I wanted to swap. He emailed the logging instructions and yesterday morning I started the process. I logged the BAMA tune/AIRAID combo, and sent off the logs. Shaun noticed, (and I confirmed looking at the logs) that my car had ZERO knock activity throughout the whole WOT pull. To verify that there wasn't a problem with the car, I returned it to stock and wee logged that. Sure enough, knock sensors worked as advertised, coming in for a bit in the midrange of the stock WOT pull.

The stock tune also showed bank 2 lean @ WOT. Shaun sent me a mild base tune for datalogging to make sure everything looked good. I reinstalled the AIRAID and uploaded the tune. The base tune was an immediate improvement over the BAMA tune. The power seemed equivalent, but the drivability was NO COMPARISON. The car idled extremely smooth, smoother than stock even. The low speed drivability was better than stock, and throttle was easy to modulate. Bank 1 and 2 were corrected with regards to AFR and trims. I sent the logs back to Shaun.

About 1 hour later I recieved my final tunes. I uploaded them and loaded the performance tune into the car. The drivability remained stellar, and the power was increased over the base tune, especially in the midrange. I obviously did not dyno the car, but the power seems/feels stronger than the BAMA tunes, especially in the midrange. Power everywhere is smoother, and the car idles great. First and second gear at WOT are fun, and abusive to the tires. (295/35 INVO)

In comparing my logs from BAMA to AED, the numbers everywhere are much more dialed in on the AED tunes. AFRs, fuel trims, etc are much more linear and smooth. (This should be expected from datalogged tunes, just feel it's pertinent)

My overall experience matches everyone elses with regards to AED. I'm extremely happy with Shaun's customer service and communication. He worked with me all day yesterday (and into the evening) to get my car squared away before he left for vacation. The tune feels phenominal. Can't wait to install an O/R/X next week.

A big :bowdown: to Shaun @ AED.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
I also recently switched from Bama to aed as well, I still haven't had a chance to to log for Shaun for the final tune, but like you said I can see a large change, my fuel mileage improved greatly, I don't beat on the car ever, but I have gotten on it a few times and it seems much stronger. one difference I found and it's an odd one, I recently did Pypes long tube headers and a catted x pipe, with the Bama tune, the cold start made me want to remove the kooks ab's, it was so loud and annoying, with the aed tune, the rpm's are the same, but it's much quieter.........

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
welcome to the crowd. Getting away from bama was the best decision I have made as far as my car is concerned. I hated my driveability even after revision's.

helli217

Established Member
I recently did Pypes long tube headers and a catted x pipe, with the Bama tune, the cold start made me want to remove the kooks ab's, it was so loud and annoying, with the aed tune, the rpm's are the same, but it's much quieter.........

I also noticed something like this. In addition to everything being "smoother", the exhaust note is more mellow and cleaner sounding everywhere, especially at idle. The only way I can describe it is less "ratty".

Rdrcr

Established Member
Awesome review! Thanks for posting!

I'll be heading out to AED for a Tune next month!

Shaun's customer service is excellent. I've been harassing him with questions for months and he always shares his knowledge and answers my questions promptly.

I'm really looking forward to the AED tune!

Mike

scott_0

Established Member
I also noticed something like this. In addition to everything being "smoother", the exhaust note is more mellow and cleaner sounding everywhere, especially at idle. The only way I can describe it is less "ratty".

yeah, think it has to due to Bama commanding more throttle at a lower actual angle, to make the throttle snappier

helli217

Established Member
Awesome review! Thanks for posting!

I'll be heading out to AED for a Tune next month!

Shaun's customer service is excellent. I've been harassing him with questions for months and he always shares his knowledge and answers my questions promptly.

I'm really looking forward to the AED tune!

Mike

You will not be disappointed. Post your thoughts when you get your tune!

Fast_5.0

Established Member
Nice. When I ran a 93 Bama tune with kooks LTs, offroad X, 3" pipes, muffler deletes, and CAI - the car started off somewhat stronger over stock - then when it hit around 3k rpm range, it felt like boost kicked in - eventually that feeling fades when u go into 4th. When I called Bama to get a more aggressive tune lol - they said no - then they told me why. I was running 28 degrees of timing.

4VFTW

Established Member
Shaun does work some kind of magic...I would assume its in the cam timing...because my car does sound "cleaner" when running his tune than any other.

helli217

Established Member
Shaun does work some kind of magic...I would assume its in the cam timing...because my car does sound "cleaner" when running his tune than any other.

Absolutely. The more I drive the car the more impressed I am with the difference. It's a totally different car. The drivability is so much better than stock even. I'm blown away. Need that X-pipe. MOAR MODS.

Rdrcr

Established Member
Let me just say...Shaun is awesome and it was a pleasure meeting him yesterday.

My car is finally AED tuned!

Just two weeks ago my 2013 GT made 393whp/374wtq SAE on a DynoJet with the Airaid CAI and SW Retro exhaust on the factory tune.

Yesterday on AED’s dyno my Mustang made 393whp/374wtq SAE with the same mods and factory tune.
The AED Tune resulted in 408whp/382wtq SAE!
The car picked up a significant amount of power throughout the RPM range and 15whp/8wtq peak.

My initial thoughts. The throttle response is greatly improved. Finally the accelerator pedal actually feels like it is connected to the throttle blade. The throttle response is crisp and immediate. I’ll need more seat time to compare the throttle response to other vehicles but, I can say, I’m impressed. The power delivery is very smooth. Deceptively smooth. The car pulls much harder and easily reaches triple-digit speeds quicker than before. It even sounds better. Plus, I picked up +2 MPG! Overall, the AED Tune has improved the drivability and made my car more fun to drive.

I'll post a more detailed review including my dyno graphs when I get some time.

Like everyone else, I'm happy!

Mike

helli217

Established Member
Let me just say...Shaun is awesome and it was a pleasure meeting him yesterday.

My car is finally AED tuned!

Just two weeks ago my 2013 GT made 393whp/374wtq SAE on a DynoJet with the Airaid CAI and SW Retro exhaust on the factory tune.

Yesterday on AED’s dyno my Mustang made 393whp/374wtq SAE with the same mods and factory tune.
The AED Tune resulted in 408whp/382wtq SAE!
The car picked up a significant amount of power throughout the RPM range and 15whp/8wtq peak.

My initial thoughts. The throttle response is greatly improved. Finally the accelerator pedal actually feels like it is connected to the throttle blade. The throttle response is crisp and immediate. I’ll need more seat time to compare the throttle response to other vehicles but, I can say, I’m impressed. The power delivery is very smooth. Deceptively smooth. The car pulls much harder and easily reaches triple-digit speeds quicker than before. It even sounds better. Plus, I picked up +2 MPG! Overall, the AED Tune has improved the drivability and made my car more fun to drive.

I'll post a more detailed review including my dyno graphs when I get some time.

Like everyone else, I'm happy!

Mike

Nice. 200000x on the drivability. Wow man, what a difference from my previous tune. Grats.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Ok.. all these posts on AED tunes is making my nipples hard!! lol I cant wait to get my 302 Boss Mani and AirRaid CAI installed, then AED tuned!! YEAH BUDDY!!! :rockon:

helli217

Established Member
Ok.. all these posts on AED tunes is making my nipples hard!! lol I cant wait to get my 302 Boss Mani and AirRaid CAI installed, then AED tuned!! YEAH BUDDY!!! :rockon:

Lol, yeah the nipples is another positive side effect. :-D

I'm going to send some logs to Shaun for possible revisions, as I installed the O/R/X and GT500 axlebacks since the tune.

curemystangitis

Professional Amateur
Established Member
Wait just a minute. I heard that Shaun was a big meanie poo and hurts his customers feelings. Oh wait, that was total nonsense.

Congrats OP, welcome to the party. Have fun and be safe!

Steveespo

Established Member
I had the same experience with my AED tune for the CJ intake. Everything is smoother and quieter. I had wrapped my mid pipes from the x pipe back to the overaxle because I have a Carbon Fiber DSS and wanted to protect it from heat. That had quieted my ARH/GT500ABs Boss 302/ Steeda tune combo, now I have to put the Corsas back on to up the soundtrack a little. Shaun does have a way with these engine, idle is 675 steady with the Mono Blade(!!!) and revs to 7800 rpm like its an electric motor. Awesome.
Steve
158_zps61263faa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread