just started ticking

GT915

Established Member
I've read countless posts about these things ticking and until recently mine never did it. I started to notice it recently (13k miles) and it sounds exactly like some of the videos i've seen. You can't hear it if you are standing in front with the hood up, but it is most noticeable on the passenger side near the ground. I took it to World Ford this morning and fully expected them to say ops normal and try to send me on my way. I left it with them and was later told that the noise has to do with the "ac idler pulley". Actually they said there is a TSB that addresses this. Parts are on order and they gave me a rental to drive. While I hate having to leave the car with them, so far I am pleased with their service. I sure hope it's as simple as that and will update when I get it back.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Ya that was the latest I heard on the infamous engine tick. A TSB came out to swap out the ac compressor belt for a drive belt tensioner setup. Let us know if it fixes it I'm curious to see if it's the actual fix. I've heard everything from the headers being the issue to cam phasers and oil. There's yet to be a "proven" fix.

Last edited:

Lone Star

Established Member
Ya that was the latest I heard on the infamous engine tick. A TSB came out to swap out the ac compressor belt for a drive belt tensioner setup. Let us know if it fixes it I'm curious to see if it's the actual fix. I've heard everything from the headers being the issue to cam phasers and oil. There's yet to be a "proven" fix.

I have had the intermittent tick on my car now for about 45,000 miles of my 51,000 miles, A/C compressor was replaced because it ate itself up internally. I have had my car at 2 different dealerships to try and diagnose the tick and nothing yet. Other then being embarrassing, it has had no effect on performance. Best of luck to you though, I hope the tsb works for you.

GT915

Established Member
I believe it may well be AC related. You can't hear it from the top of the engine and when you crawl under it while running, it doesn't sound like its coming from the reciprocating assembly inside the oil pan either. FWIW, the engine in the POS Dodge Ram rental they gave me makes noise as well.

GT915

Established Member
Got the car back this afternoon after they replaced the ac idler assembly and both belts. No more ticking...just normal engine sounds. Sure hope it stays that way cuz I'm about to kill my warranty. My Xcal arrived today, my o/r x is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and thanks to try03venom, I already have my JPC over axle pipes. I'm gonna call Shaun tomorrow and get started with the remote tune.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
mine started ticking after my first oil change.
I put royal purple in. still ticks.
my next change im going to full syn. amsoil. in everything.

Rct851

Established Member
I have had the intermittent tick on my car now for about 45,000 miles of my 51,000 miles, A/C compressor was replaced because it ate itself up internally. I have had my car at 2 different dealerships to try and diagnose the tick and nothing yet. Other then being embarrassing, it has had no effect on performance. Best of luck to you though, I hope the tsb works for you.

The embarrassing part is a big deal to me... Mine doesn't tick but if it starts I will not be happy, 1 thing like this can be let go, but along with the clunking mt-82 I won't put up with ghetto noises on this car

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The embarrassing part is a big deal to me... Mine doesn't tick but if it starts I will not be happy, 1 thing like this can be let go, but along with the clunking mt-82 I won't put up with ghetto noises on this car

the clunking is not the mt82 itself. its the silly 2 piece drive shaft.

GT915

Established Member
I'm right there with you. It is embarrassing having a car like this sounding like a prehistoric clunker with a bad lifter. If it sounded like that in the beginning, I'd have never bought it. Thank God it was easily fixed. My driveshaft clunks at times, but at least no one else hears it. I'll eventually put in a one-piece unit and hopefully that'll be resolved too.

GT915

Established Member
When mine clunks it seems more like something that can be attributed to "slack" in the driveline and doesn't sound at all like it is coming from the transmission. I guess I could be wrong though. It shifts fine so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread