Just Retuned from 3.0" to 2.9" Whipple - Amazing what .1" does!

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Just got back from EFI for a quick retune after a pulley swap... I went from 581hp / 536 ftlbs on the 3.0" to 612hp / 554ftlbs on the 2.9". Boost went from 18.3# to 19.0#. These are all corrected numbers on the Mustang dyno, with 17.5 degrees of timing and 93 octane. The Cobra actually put down 634/574, but it was only about 55 degrees outside....makes me want to post the uncorrected numbers (but that would be cheating, right? :D) Anyway, just a data point for you KB / Whipple guys if you are wondering what that "next size down" would do for you. It surprised me that .1" diameter gave me 31 more hp and 18 ftlbs, but I'm not complaining! Just wanted to hit that magic 600 number on the conservative Mustang dyno, so now I can say I'm done...for now....:beer:

bigmoose

Established Member
your not going to pick up 31hp from 0.7#. the added result is most likely the result of the retune.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
my 3" upper only makes 17lbs ... funny how vehicles differ

good numbers tho

Last edited:

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Something else had to change, its impossible to get that much of an increase from .1" smaller pulley... either the dyno, temps, tune or all of the above...

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
How was the temp with the 3.0 dyno run? I got mine tuned in 90 degree day weather on the most humid day of the year, I feel if I got my tuned today with NO changes I would be atleast 580-590rwhp.

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
I actually never meant for this thread to create an argument or to be disected :??:, I just wanted to pass along some info for fellow Termi owners who are considering the next size down for their twin screw pullies...... but it is what it is.....
The dyno was the same, the tuner was the same, the temperatures were much different BUT I am posting the CORRECTED numbers (as EVERYONE who posts their numbers on this forum should!!!). My initial 3.0" numbers were about 5 hp/ftlbs higher using the corrected values, and this most recent time they were much lower - In the 55 degree air the car actually put down much higher numbers. Was the tune the same? Well, I am pretty sure there were no major changes, but then again I was not the guy sitting on the dyno with my laptop, so truthfully I can not confirm every detail of the tune. Bottom line is that I trust Chris did a great job and I recommend him highly to anyone in the tri-state area :rockon:.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Just got back from EFI for a quick retune after a pulley swap... I went from 581hp / 536 ftlbs on the 3.0" to 612hp / 554ftlbs on the 2.9". Boost went from 18.3# to 19.0#. These are all corrected numbers on the Mustang dyno, with 17.5 degrees of timing and 93 octane. The Cobra actually put down 634/574, but it was only about 55 degrees outside....makes me want to post the uncorrected numbers (but that would be cheating, right? :D) Anyway, just a data point for you KB / Whipple guys if you are wondering what that "next size down" would do for you. It surprised me that .1" diameter gave me 31 more hp and 18 ftlbs, but I'm not complaining! Just wanted to hit that magic 600 number on the conservative Mustang dyno, so now I can say I'm done...for now....:beer:
on my car with ''19.6 psi'' k/b 2.6 93 pump on mustang dyno
with 3.25upper made 603/525 17.0 deg timing
on 104 sunoco same pulley made 641/557 20.5 deg timing
tryed 3.0 upper 643/576 smaller pulley pulled up timing to 18.5 with 104 gas made 2 more psi of boost 21.5''
all in the same day at Amazon .
my killer chiller will be installed after my boss50 build maybe with a 2.75 pulley? just looking for that magic 700 #:beer:

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
OP personally I wasnt analylizing anything, I was just pointing out that the air temp has a lot to do with it. I am actually excited to see this thread, for the fact that when I had my car tuned for the whipple is very hot/humid... and not only that I drove the car 2 hours to the tuner in this weather and it only sat for 15mins. Like you I was hoping to make the 600, but fell short and it was mostly due to heat.

Last edited:

nanastymach1

Established Member
what tb and inlet are u guys using my car just made 603 and 591 tq yesterday with a 2.8 upper and stock lower at 18-19 psi...and what lower pulley are u guys using as well...matter of fact lets compare mod lists

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Seems the first numbers could've been when it was tuned and maybe the car was hot after repeated pulls to dial in the tune.

2nd time the car was cooler so it spit out larger numbers. In theory.

You can't put a correction factor on heat soak and is why when my car is dyno'd it better not be hot enough to pull timing. If I find out it was I'll find another Tuner. I don't care if it makes 460hp only with no port or 999hp with whatever combo.

OP not saying your Tuner did this but just adding it in.

Last edited:

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Seems the first numbers could've been when it was tuned and maybe the car was hot after repeated pulls to dial in the tune.

2nd time the car was cooler so it spit out larger numbers. In theory.

You can't put a correction factor on heat soak and is why when my car is dyno'd it better not be hot enough to pull timing. If I find out it was I'll find another Tuner. I don't care if it makes 460hp only with no port or 999hp with whatever combo.

OP not saying your Tuner did this but just adding it in.

No, never! This is a fundamental no no that hopefully is taught in tuning 101 class :read:. They put the cars up on the dyno and let them sit for up to an hour (engine turned off) with a big ass fan cranking to let everthing cool down before any tuning is performed. EFI Logics is one of the most respected facilities in the northeast and if anyone visits their facility it will become clear why this is so.

tmkr03

Established Member
I would be willing to bet 90% or more of the human race does not know what .100 of an inch is.
In pulley size it is nothing.

.1 might as well be a mile where I come from...lol

mach1033

Established Member
I actually never meant for this thread to create an argument or to be disected :??:, I just wanted to pass along some info for fellow Termi owners who are considering the next size down for their twin screw pullies...... but it is what it is.....
The dyno was the same, the tuner was the same, the temperatures were much different BUT I am posting the CORRECTED numbers (as EVERYONE who posts their numbers on this forum should!!!). My initial 3.0" numbers were about 5 hp/ftlbs higher using the corrected values, and this most recent time they were much lower - In the 55 degree air the car actually put down much higher numbers. Was the tune the same? Well, I am pretty sure there were no major changes, but then again I was not the guy sitting on the dyno with my laptop, so truthfully I can not confirm every detail of the tune. Bottom line is that I trust Chris did a great job and I recommend him highly to anyone in the tri-state area :rockon:.

I'm heading there on the 14th of January. I heard his dyno was called the " HEART BREAKER " lol

Users who are viewing this thread