Just put the JLT RAI in

01vert

Established Member
Just finished installing a JLT RAI on my cobra. Kit was bought used and was told was used for only a few months. I believe him, all parts look as new including the directions and the original packing box (I think)

Install Impressions: The oval tb to rubber part was easy, alot easier than I expected but the kit has already been on a car so that is I guess why. Used car washing soap as a lubricant. It did not come with a gasket for between the MAF and the aluminum adapter. I bolted the two together and was unhappy with the fit, they were tight but a tiny itiny sliver of space could be seen at the top where the MAF is at the thinnest. I made a gasket out of thin cork composite gasket material and rebolted them together. The MAF to rubber adapter was tight, and a little force and lube was used and it went together. I then put the whole assembly minus the air filter onto the motor. I then tried putting the filter on and no dice. No way to manuver the filter to its' proper place and get it together. After eyeing it for a while I relaized the painted plastic part could be pushed farther into the rubber boots, effectively shortening the length of the piece and solving my clearance problems. Pushed it ffurther in and then filkter went on no problem. Clocked all the clamps so they showed the adjuster as little as possible and that was it. Tried to install the heat shield but ther is NO WAY this thing fits. It hits the rim of the filter bad and the lower edge of it hits under the filter where ther are a bunch of wires and I am afraid it would chafe the wires after a while so I left it off.

Observations and opinion: While installing this I noticed that the paint wear on my shock tower matches EXACTLY where the JLT hits the shock tower. Obviously the prior owner had a JLT on it before. Also, the "slightly" hitting the shock tower and coil cover is not really "slight" they do contact but appear to not interfere with anything. The shock tower already had a bare spot where the JLT goes so no worries and it is not visible now. The filter seems like a nice unit with an open front and an internal cove to orient the front incoming air. The front of the filter is very close to some wires near the back of the headlight so I am going to check on it in a while but with not hearing any other complaints I am not really worried.

Overall a nice piece and very happy with the looks, hopefully pics to follow tomorrow

Overall a good looking piece and with rain am waiting to hear / feel it some other time.

Users who are viewing this thread